Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Placing out new Caches

Default Placing out new Caches

As a relative "newbie" to both finding and placing Caches, I have been planning a circular series for some time now. I finally took the plunge and placed my first cache! Did my research and sent the log for review. The reviewer, "Graculus" a well known person on the forums, duely did the biz. In the meantime I debated whether to put the cache out and wait for the reviewer to finish - bearing in mind that the notes said it could take a day or two. Decided that discretion etc., so waited until the next day when I got the thumbs up. Nipped out and put out the cache. Quickly snapped up by FTF - thanks to "Walk Tall" ! Sent the second in the series for review yesterday, thinking that I had a day or so to finish taping up the box et al. Went to work (nights) last night and before I got home this morning Graculus had reviewed and published !! Had to dash home, grab cache and place out. Sure enough, before I had woken up this afternoon someone had already been there !!! Moral - having got the mechanics of writing the descriptions etc., and trusting the efficiency of the reviewer, GET THE CACHE OUT, as you send the log for review. If its wrong or takes a day or two to review - no sweat - Better than having a Fail to find as it wasn't out there yet!!!
    Great thanks to Reviewer "Graculus" for his help and the first finders who give you the warm fuzzy feeling that you are on your way

Cheers
    palujia
    Si vis pacem para bellum

A few weeks ago, I hid 26 caches......just as well I had actually hid them, Deci took a WHOLE 20 minutes to publish them!!

Hats of to our reviewers......they do get stick from time to time (not by me, I must add )

Always get the box out in position before you send it in for review.
    Far easier to go out at your leisure to retrieve or move it if you get a rejuection but a real pain to dash out once it is published, there are some real FTF hounds out there who will drop everything and go out at silly o'clock to get the FTF.

For any newer cachers, placing their first caches, who may not understand how this part works...

On the "Report a New Cache" form, if you un-tick the little box which says "Yes, this listing is active... etc" you can play around with setting up your cache page, edit it as you want, tick the two boxes at the bottom of the page, then click "Report new listing" and you'll see how the cache page will look - but it won't go through to the reviewer's queue.

If it's not quite right, just click on the top right corner link "Edit Listing" and play around with it some more...

You can keep the cache page in this 'limbo' stage for days... or weeks, until you've got it just exactly as you want.

Then go out a put the cache in place!

Come back home, go back to your cache form and put that missing tick back into the little box to show that the cache is active and all ready to go: This time, when you tick the boxes at the bottom of the form (making sure that you have read, understood and agreed) and submit the form it will go through to your reviewer's queue. Then you just have to sit back, with your fingers crossed, and wait...

But.
    The box you tick/check says "Yes, this cache is currently active" when you submit the page...

Always best to have the cache in place!

Congratulations on the hides.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

From the guidelines: Your cache should be in place and ready to hunt at the time your cache page is submitted for review. If for any reason it is not ready, please either disable your cache page so that it won’t be seen by the reviewer until ready, or include a "note to reviewer" to explain your special circumstances (for example, waiting for a permit from a land manager).

If it's in the queue and you don't tell me otherwise I will push the button

Chris
    Graculus (aka Mr Blorenge)
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk
    Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I stand adminishd by all !! - No really thanks a lot for all the useful advice. I am a little enthusiastic sometimes and don't really read all the instructions properly. Having now met and talked with a few more experienced cachers I also have better ideas for the remainder of my first series - which I also note is following the well known path of the "Hitch Hikers Guide " and turning into parts one to eight of Six !!
    thanks again
    palujia
    Si vis pacem para bellum