Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Pointing loggers in the right direction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pointing loggers in the right direction

http://www.nwcaching.co.uk/forum/vie...p=50566#p50565

Is this something that the GAGB could help with, possibly an advice note/letter that we could point loggers towards?

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    http://www.nwcaching.co.uk/forum/vie...p=50566#p50565

Is this something that the GAGB could help with, possibly an advice note/letter that we could point loggers towards?
    Can't help humming the Lumberjack Song while reading this..

I'm not sure what the GAGB could offer as regards advice or guidance. Logging's a personal thing, and is very definitely subjective.
    I'm probably guilty of not being too voluminous with my logs - even on caches I've really enjoyed doing - but I'm also very definitely guilty of giving a cache the log I think it deserves. And this in no way reflects on either of the two examples linked to - but if I find a cache that I feel involved minimal effort to hide, I'll use minimum effort in my log.

I'm not sure what the issue is, really. If I decide that writing ":-)" as my log is sufficient, surely that's up to me?

It means that I miss out on recording my thoughts at the time, and I might not be able to remember the cache in question because of that, but if I'm not bothered about such matters then so what? Personally I try to write enough to remind me of the experience but I can understand if not everyone needs to. Perhaps they keep a diary instead - who knows?

As a cache owner, I selfishly hope to read more verbose entries. But I have no right to expect it.

As a cache hider I am only to happy that cachers have gone out and found my caches, that's why I hide them and not for the praise, so a simple TFTC or ) or siilar would not worry me.

I think it's down to individual cache owners to contact new(ish) cachers who log their caches, welcome them to the game of geocaching, thank them for finding the cache and maybe adding a line such as, "Cache owners really enjoy reading the experiences of those who find their caches. A couple of sentences is always more interesting than a "TNSL, TFTC" and even when you can't find the cache it's still good to let the cache owner know what happened in your log."

Take any opportunity to help or advise new folks and nudge them in the right directions.

See my post: here

I agree with the feeling that it is good etiquette to write something meaningful whenever possible. But I still feel uncomfortable advising people what to write when it is THEIR log, for THEM to record their visit for their own record.

Had it been my first cache find, it would have been most annoying to receive a condescending e-mail from the cache owner criticising my log (however politely: in fact the more polite, the more condescending it appears!).

Yes, it's a little disappointing when someone submits a copy-and-paste log for one of my caches. But it's their log, so none of my business.