Thanks Thanks:  10

Thread: FC East Anglia - Charging 63 pounds to give permission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Phil and Sue Guest

Angry FC East Anglia - Charging 63 pounds to give permission

Hi,

I have recently applied to place a series of caches where some of them fall within an area managed by FC East Anglia. After many weeks of trying to cajole them into action I have received the response that they are minded to give permission, but will only do so on payment of a 'minimal charge' of £63.43. The reason for a charge has been variously explained. It began as a charge for a 'full consultation' (nothing other than minimal enquiries of the other body responsible for managing wildlife in the area has been even hinted at as having happened). Lately it is stated to be for 'checking the geocache sites for (the FC's own) harvesting operations'.

Has anyone ever come across a charge being requested by a government body for permission to place a cache on their(our) land?

Do any of the GAGB landowner agreements make any provision for a charge? I haven't spotted any.

Thanks.

Exclamation

The North West FC Area have a £50 fee for a 3 year permission to place Geocaches. That's been in affect for 4 years, with no takers.

Last year they started a trial scheme in Cumbria, where the fee to place a cache was dropped. And since then several caches have been placed on FC land in Cumbria.

So the experience has shown to be a negative one for the NW FC Area. It might be worth pointing this out to them.

Once one person pays the Fee, it becomes impossible to negotiate it out again. So the GAGB and GC's UK Reviewers have always discouraged anyone from paying a fee to place Geocaches.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Phil and Sue Guest

Thanks, and I rather suspected that was the case. I've drafted a response to FC EA objecting to the charge, to which I will add details from what you say. I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

There are benefits to sites when cachers attend. Free advertising of the area, for one, plus the fact that it gets children out - a treasure hunt is so much more exciting that a boring walk. Also, increased revenue from spending including any parking charges.

nobbynobbs Guest

You might point them to the agreement we have with FC newforest, FC Dorset and now FC South West all of which are working well and incur no charge.

We would strongly discourage anyone from paying for permission because it sets a precedent for other cachers. Please let me know how this one goes and I will update the landowner database accordingly.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend