Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Pointing loggers in the right direction

Default Pointing loggers in the right direction

http://www.nwcaching.co.uk/forum/vie...p=50566#p50565

Is this something that the GAGB could help with, possibly an advice note/letter that we could point loggers towards?

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    http://www.nwcaching.co.uk/forum/vie...p=50566#p50565

Is this something that the GAGB could help with, possibly an advice note/letter that we could point loggers towards?
    Can't help humming the Lumberjack Song while reading this..

I'm not sure what the GAGB could offer as regards advice or guidance. Logging's a personal thing, and is very definitely subjective.
    I'm probably guilty of not being too voluminous with my logs - even on caches I've really enjoyed doing - but I'm also very definitely guilty of giving a cache the log I think it deserves. And this in no way reflects on either of the two examples linked to - but if I find a cache that I feel involved minimal effort to hide, I'll use minimum effort in my log.

I'm not sure what the issue is, really. If I decide that writing ":-)" as my log is sufficient, surely that's up to me?

It means that I miss out on recording my thoughts at the time, and I might not be able to remember the cache in question because of that, but if I'm not bothered about such matters then so what? Personally I try to write enough to remind me of the experience but I can understand if not everyone needs to. Perhaps they keep a diary instead - who knows?

As a cache owner, I selfishly hope to read more verbose entries. But I have no right to expect it.

As a cache hider I am only to happy that cachers have gone out and found my caches, that's why I hide them and not for the praise, so a simple TFTC or ) or siilar would not worry me.

I think it's down to individual cache owners to contact new(ish) cachers who log their caches, welcome them to the game of geocaching, thank them for finding the cache and maybe adding a line such as, "Cache owners really enjoy reading the experiences of those who find their caches. A couple of sentences is always more interesting than a "TNSL, TFTC" and even when you can't find the cache it's still good to let the cache owner know what happened in your log."

Take any opportunity to help or advise new folks and nudge them in the right directions.

See my post: here

I agree with the feeling that it is good etiquette to write something meaningful whenever possible. But I still feel uncomfortable advising people what to write when it is THEIR log, for THEM to record their visit for their own record.

Had it been my first cache find, it would have been most annoying to receive a condescending e-mail from the cache owner criticising my log (however politely: in fact the more polite, the more condescending it appears!).

Yes, it's a little disappointing when someone submits a copy-and-paste log for one of my caches. But it's their log, so none of my business.

I don't see it as criticising their log, that would not be kind, but several times I've seen comments on the forums from new cachers who say something like, "We put all the abbreviation because that's what we'd seen in most other logs and we thought that was the right way to do it". If there's a good opportunity I think it's helpful to let them know they can be as verbose as they personally feel comfortable with!

I would not suggest contacting any cacher solely to say, "Please write more in your logs."

There's been a spate of...

...logs recently. Endless and repeated, regardless of cache quality. A nudge, politely, would help. MrsB I know you'd be the perfect person to write a draft!

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    There's been a spate of...

...logs recently. Endless and repeated, regardless of cache quality. A nudge, politely, would help. MrsB I know you'd be the perfect person to write a draft!
    I take the point from MrsB that some new cachers could think that "" is supposed to be the way to log, although they must be pretty thick if they don't realise that there's space for more text.

But I still maintain that it's up to the cache finder how they log a cache. Some don't bother logging online at all. Is 100 "" logs worse than no logs at all? At least the cache owner gets to know that the cache is still there. As far as I'm concerned the logs are mainly the cacher's own personal record, so there's nothing we can (or should) do if they find it a chore to write more.

Actually I'd like to see a feature where caches can be logged in confidence (i.e. your comments can't be viewed except by yourself). All that everyone else sees is that it was found (or not found) on a certain date. I don't think I'd use it, but it would improve the site for those who aren't interested in the social aspects of geocaching. Along with that would be a feature to encourage people to give feedback to the cache owner; this would also be invisible to others (I know you can already do that via e-mail, but it would clarify that such comments are encouraged and can be separate from the log). The cache owner could decide whether to allow this feedback on any particular cache.

An example where this type of system is used;
    http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=22715
    Last edited by Happy Humphrey; 19th May 2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added example

An amendment to the Guidelines and Codes Of Conduct may be the way forward?

...be considerate of others.
    Treat other geocachers civilly - in the field, in the forums, or wherever your paths may cross.
    Don't spoil the hunt for others - allow them to experience the cache as its owner intended.
    Avoid leaving tracks to the cache. Do not disrupt the cache area or mark the hiding spot.
    Minimize giving unsolicited clues that reveal the cache (i.e. "spoilers")
    Don't provide any hints if the cache description asks you not to. In all other cases, be cryptic or encrypt any hints or spoilers you enter in online logs.
    Edit the log if the cache owner requests you to remove spoilers.
    Promptly alert the owner of any issues with their cache. Make minor repairs if you can, it will save the owner a trip.
    Cache owners appreciate feedback - write an online log, send an email, or otherwise let the owner know about your experience with their cache

could read as....?

One of the enjoyable parts of being a cache setter is reading the logs that roll in when people find your hide. An expanded log is also useful in helping other potential finders whether a particular cache is for them. Try to think about what you saw or heard whilst on your way to the cache, and whether it showed you anything interesting or somewhere new perhaps.

The Syllogiser Guest

Well PopupPirate has a few great thoughts there that I'm convinced WILL HAPPEN when/once you drag new cachers to local EVENTS ... most of us in this area do just that .. and the "education" begins.

On another tack to the same problem ----

I really "have a go" at new cache SETTERS who put out worthless (kindest way to say it :wub , and not just my opinion, caches .. wasting the prospective finders time, petrol, energy, emotions .

I know that several others use the "softly softly catches the monkey" ---
    However - I have also found that my "straight between the eyes" approach HAS produced some super new caches, and great re-set-caches, from those contacted --- OK -- it's not nice - medicine never is :wacko:- but ALL those logs following this action - have been very compementary.

Lets face it - great caches produce great logs - those who 'minimalise' their logs must have a reason - they know no better

The cure -- great events to nurture the newcomers into "our ways"

I have been hiding rather than finding lately, and enjoy reading the logs. I know a cacher, whom I have personally known for 28 years, hates writing logs. It doesn't bother me, as I know they enjoy my caches.

I have recently hidden 25 roadside caches, with numbers in 15 of them to get a final 26th cache. Now, I wouldn't expect long logs on them, in all honesty. I have placed them on nice countryside roads, away from fast, un-interesting roads, but, what can you really say about them? What I have had, is nice logs on the final cache, which I have hid along a public right of way, with a decent view.

I agree with HH, it's really up to the cache finder what they put in their logs.
    Last edited by GAZ; 19th May 2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: edited to add a missing "than" in the 1st line!!!!

Just to show that it's not sour grapes, I do appreciate good log writing. Here's an example from one of my caches this evening;

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....8-dd8cec26d25f

...worth a read, even though it's a DNF!

alicephilippa Guest

On a series I don't find it so bad it the logs are cut and paste in the main with the occasional good and verbose log. However, if the only thing in the log is a smiley, or, as one cacher round here is doing, the date then it becomes annoying.

To me the log is a way to record an experience.

Even if it is simple like "Enjoyed this one. Nice hide. SL TNLN TFTC"

It's far better than "18/05/2010 "

Like The Syllogiser, I'm starting to develop a habit of telling it like it is with cache pages, hopefully constructively. If folks are happy writing cache pages that read effectively "I shoved this lock'n'lock in this hedge because I could find any caches today" I do have to ask myself is it actually worth bothering to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by alicephilippa View Post
    ... If folks are happy writing cache pages that read effectively "I shoved this lock'n'lock in this hedge because I could find any caches today" I do have to ask myself is it actually worth bothering to find it?
    Absolutely! But then if you find that it really is a cache randomly shoved in a hedge, don't complain in your log, because you knew what to expect but still went for it anyway...

alicephilippa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Absolutely! But then if you find that it really is a cache randomly shoved in a hedge, don't complain in your log, because you knew what to expect but still went for it anyway...
    Sometimes though, they are needing of clearing up. Some do have potential, and would benefit from a decent cache page, but others...

((And yes, I know the Mersey Stride series could do with a rewrite of teh cache pages, it's one of the hazards of adopting caches))

But this is going away from PuP's question really.

My view is that sometimes the two are connected, and that getting a good standard of cache page may help improve the logs. Ultimately, though, no matter how annoying it is I think we just have to put up with some cachers posting poor logs. All we can do is encourage others by posting the types of logs we would like to see on our own caches and hope that others pick up on it. IOW, lead by example.

As a newish cacher is there a proper way of logging ? As I use an iPhone I log whilst on the move to the next one, which makes mine short and sweet. I hope anyone could clarify?

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.
    2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."
    3. Enter your postal code and click "search."
    4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
    5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
    6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
    7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
    8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

From the guidelines on Getting Started

From some of the logs you read, the cacher just 'materialised' at the cache, saw nothing but the cache, then 'de-materalised' to 'materialise' at the next cache.
    No journey between caches, nothing to see or experience between caches...

If nothing else I comment on what I've seen on the way to the cache. Views, plant life, wildlife, etc.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I think this is the start of iLogs. People are caching with iPhones and logging on the move, so the log becomes abbreviated because of the limitations of the device.

I am with HH on this, its their log let them fill it how they wish.

Yup agree with HH, let them write their logs how they want to. I will still write mine as I see fit and if I do log via mobile while I am out I always edit the log when I get back and add anything else I think is needed.
    Just had a btach of logs come in from some of my caches and the majority were TFTC.
    It won't stop me doing my research so as I can write something interesting about the area where I hide caches and as long as I encourage others to go there I am happy.