Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Call for nominations for the Chair of GAGB

This is a call for nominations for a new Chair of GAGB, in line with a commitment made by the initial committee to start an election process in February 2004. The term of this Chair will run from end of the election until November 2004 in line with other committee members.

In order to demonstrate independence in these elections, the initial committee requested the UK GC.com approvers to ask for a volunteer to act as independent Returning Officer. Eric van Dyck, a GC.com Approver/Moderator in the US, has volunteered to act as our Returning Officer, for which we are grateful.

The timetable of the election process is as follows:
    Sunday 29th Feb: call for nominations
    Wed 10th March: start election voting
    Mon 22nd March: close election
    Eric will then announce the winner of the election.

This timetable allows a weekend for people to read the call for election & decide to stand and to include two weekends when people can vote. Our Constitution requires at least 7 days for nominations, then 4 to 14 days voting.

Nominations should be posted to this thread by a member of the Association and then accepted /rejected by the person concerned. Nominations are now open.

Dave on behalf of the GAGB committee

(Edited for clarity)

NattyBooshka Guest

We nominate Paul Blitz... he seems to have done so much for us all since being elected to the committee and also keeps us all well informed.

<edited for grammar&#33;&#33;>

Returning Officer Guest

Yikes, I saw my name above. What an awesome (or awful?) responsibility&#33;&#33;

In all seriousness, I&#39;ve read the Standing Orders thread as well as the thread in which a consensus seems to be reached on a "secret word" verification of the vote.
    I&#39;m sure we can fine tune exactly how this it to be done prior to the election.

One error in that introductory post of The Wombles - my first name is spelled Erik, not Eric.
    If you get that wrong in an e-mail vote to me your vote will surely be lost&#33;

By way of a short introduction: I have been geocaching for three years under the geonick "erik88L-R" in honor of my faithful 1973 Land-Rover SWB (88" short wheelbase) Station Wagon. I was appointed a cache approver in Dec. 2001 and approved UK caches until the volume was sufficient to warrant local representation. Now the poor Germans are stuck with me. (Ach Gott nie&#33
    I live in the land where the last serious election was decided by the courts (Bush vs. Gore), so I will have to become reacclimated to the democratic process. But I&#39;ll do my best to handle this responsibility.

Best regards,

~erik~

Repeated edits to correct terrible spelling - the result of approving caches in Germany and Georgia, USA.

Originally posted by Returning Officer@Feb 29 2004, 03:48 PM

One error in that introductory post of The Wombles - my first name is spelled Erik, not Eric...........

I was appointed a cache approver in Dec. 2001 and approved UK caches until the volume was sufficient to warrant local representation............
    Oops, sorry - and you approved 8 of our caches

Chris n Maria Guest

Glad to see Erik involved - hes been round for ages and I have always found him very helpfull.

I would like to nominate Dave Womble for the post .

Chris

Originally posted by Chris n Maria@Feb 29 2004, 09:01 PM

I would like to nominate Dave Womble for the post .

Many thanks for the confidence but my time pressures are incompatible with carrying out the duties of the Chair sucessfully - and we Wombles like to keep a low profile

MCL Guest

I would like to nominate Pharisee.

seifer Guest

I would like to nominate Team Pariadise (I hope thats how you spell it&#33

We would like to nominate MCL who has always impressed us with his clarity of thought and well reasoned arguments in this and other forums.

paul.blitz Guest

Originally posted by NattyBooshka@Feb 29 2004, 02:46 PM
    We nominate Paul Blitz... he seems to have done so much for us all since being elected to the committee and also keeps us all well informed.

<edited for grammar&#33;&#33;>
    Thank you for proposing me: I am happy to accept the nomination.

Can I also say that I am VERY pleased to see the other names being proposed: I hope they will seriously consider also accepting, so there can be a good and "serious" vote for the position.

Paul

Originally posted by Returning Officer@Feb 29 2004, 03:48 PM
    By way of a short introduction: I have been geocaching for three years under the geonick "erik88L-R" in honor of my faithful 1973 Land-Rover SWB (88" short wheelbase) Station Wagon.
    Erik,

=====
    Off-topic part first:
    I&#39;m off to the Med in May, and will be passing through Tunisia, and just came across GeoRover #2 which is placed way out in the desert there. (Saw its picture on your LR&#39;s bonnet, then stumbled across your name in here. Small world, geocaching...)

Don&#39;t think I&#39;m going to get that far inland though, so probably won&#39;t be getting a find on that one.
    =====

Anyway, that&#39;s just a tad off-topic in this thread, so I&#39;d just like to say that my vote goes to Paul Blitz.

I&#39;m sure he&#39;ll do us proud.

Regards,
    Derek Reed
    Hampshire.
    One day my sigline will stop changing.
    Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!".

Returning Officer Guest

Anyway, that&#39;s just a tad off-topic in this thread, so I&#39;d just like to say that my vote goes to Paul Blitz.
    It was cool reading your story Derek - even if it was off topic.

No fair voting though - just soliciting nominations at this stage.

Cheers,

~erik~

Chris n Maria Guest

Originally posted by Gary & Jane@Mar 3 2004, 06:24 PM
    We would like to nominate MCL who has always impressed us with his clarity of thought and well reasoned arguments in this and other forums.
    As young Dave Womble can&#39;t accept my nomination, I&#39;ll second MCL as he strikes me as a very fine diplomat whos on-line posts are always well thought out.

Chris

TheCat Guest

I too think that MCL would be a good choice.

The Bennett Family Guest

I would like to nominate Hornet.
    I know he has expressed concerns about the whole idea of the GAGB in the past, which in my opinion makes him the ideal candidate for the job as I would like to see the GAGB develop into something that supports Geocaching rather than an all controlling influence.

I have been reading the GC forums for 12 months now, which includes the awful period of infighting & antagonism of a few months back. During that time, Hornets posts always seemed fair & considered & he never got involved in the mud slinging as so many others did.

I&#39;ll stop now..
    1)As I sound like I&#39;m trying to sell him to you
    2)I&#39;m a little out of my depth with such weighty matters.

Gaz.