Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Sillica Gell

Default Sillica Gell

Not sure if this is the right section to pop this in but here goes =0)

You know those annoying little packets that they put in (mostly) shoe boxes to prevent problems with dampness?
    would it be beneficial/feesable to put them into caches to prevent problems with damp?
    the only problem I can think of would be if a creature were to get into the box it may eat it =0(
    Anyway just an idea that popped into my head the other day let me know what you think =0)

This has been discussed many times in various forums. The packets you refer to are to stop 'moisture' not 'wet'. Once a cache gets a leak it gets wet (often very wet - in fact usually full of water) and then you end up with a soggy packet of silica gel! The best thing you can do is use a good quality plastic box with a secure click on lid like these. They are durable and waterproof.
    A tip when you find a cache and are putting the contents back in so you can replace it in it's hidey hole is to check when you put the lid on that no bits of the contents or bits of grass are stuck on the rubber seal. This can cause a leak.

Chris (MrB)

RuberyBlue Guest

Alternatively use ammunition boxes (i'm a big fan). In good condition with rubber seal intact they will give yearssssssssssssssss of bone dry service!

RB
    KRO!

Ahhhh ok as I said it was just an idea =0)
    I had kinna expected someone to have thought about it before but hadn't come across it in any of the forums I have read so far =0)

completely off topic, but it made me laugh seeing that road sign, it was almost 11 years ago I stood next to one of them with a map in my hand looking confused (sadly lost that picture).

We've found small silica gel packets in a few caches but I think the effect they have of keeping the cache dry is fairly minimal. I suppose they might help if it was just film pot size but we have only hidden one of those ourselves so can't speak from experience.

=0) hahahahaha Ryuchan you are lucky it was there, it is the most stolen sign in the country =0) they were thinking about changing the name to Lost Farm but decided just to replace it with a much more difficult to steal sign.

sTeamTraen Guest

Silica gel will keep your cache contents dry until it gets saturated. Then it's just litter. I'm guessing that a small package 1/3 the size of a film pot would be saturated after about a week outside in said pot (which is not airtight).

These things don't work by some kind of magic - the little sachets are simply intended to be the most attractive thing to moisture in the box with your new phone or camera, for the duration of shipping and storage in stock.

I knew that they didn't last forever but hadn't realised that they would get saturated that quickly =0/
    I suppose that would make maintenance of a cache a little excessive if not increase it.
    Oh well back to the old drawing board =0) lol

uktim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrodgersjr View Post
    I knew that they didn't last forever but hadn't realised that they would get saturated that quickly =0/
    I suppose that would make maintenance of a cache a little excessive if not increase it.
    Oh well back to the old drawing board =0) lol
    My theory is that if the cache is a decent airtight and watertight container it will get opened on damp days and cycles from hot to cold overnight will inevitably cause condensation and eventually damp logs. In this case a silica gel sachet will do some good and it won't become saturated very quickly at all. I change ours about once every couple of years and it's never been saturated. Even if they do become saturated the moisture is better in the gel than in the log.

If the container is a good one then the gel won't do any harm, if it's going to become saturated within months then a better container is needed!

Many years ago I went on a defence packaging course and one of the things they made a big thing about was that silica gel was next to useless unless it was in a hermetically sealed container. The reason for this is that they take up airborne moisture, and once it has taken the moisture from its local environment it will then take up the moisture from elsewhere if it can until saturated. The other thing that was stated is that the little sachets that are placed in with shoe, camera etc packaging are next to useless even if in a seal environment.

Quote Originally Posted by uktim View Post
    My theory is that if the cache is a decent airtight and watertight container it will get opened on damp days and cycles from hot to cold overnight will inevitably cause condensation and eventually damp logs. In this case a silica gel sachet will do some good and it won't become saturated very quickly at all. I change ours about once every couple of years and it's never been saturated. Even if they do become saturated the moisture is better in the gel than in the log.

If the container is a good one then the gel won't do any harm, if it's going to become saturated within months then a better container is needed!
    An inactive sachet will not appear saturated ie you won't be able to squeeze out any moisture and it will not feel damp, the only sign that you may see is a change of colour on some brands.

I agree that it dosn't harm to use it, but any beneficial effect from it will be almost un-measurable. IMHO more time and effort should be given to the container and its placement and just forget about the silica gel.

uktim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mad H@ter View Post
    An inactive sachet will not appear saturated ie you won't be able to squeeze out any moisture and it will not feel damp, the only sign that you may see is a change of colour on some brands.

I agree that it dosn't harm to use it, but any beneficial effect from it will be almost un-measurable. IMHO more time and effort should be given to the container and its placement and just forget about the silica gel.
    I'll second the use the right container theory but why not go the extra mile and use some silca gel as well if the container is an ammo box it's going to need some help to beat condensation problems IME.

Quote Originally Posted by uktim View Post
    I'll second the use the right container theory but why not go the extra mile and use some silca gel as well if the container is an ammo box it's going to need some help to beat condensation problems IME.
    Please see my post (#11) above for why, this information was from experts in this field. IMHO (or should that be in opinion of the experts) you would be wasting time, effort and possibly money, but hey, it don't hurt so not worth arguing about.

edit:
    And I have never experienced condensation problems in an ammo can, although one of mine did fill with water when the Thames was in flood for a few weeks with the cache under a couple of feet of water
    Last edited by Mad H@ter; 4th June 2010 at 04:54 PM.

uktim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mad H@ter View Post
    Please see my post (#11) above for why, this information was from experts in this field. IMHO (or should that be in opinion of the experts) you would be wasting time, effort and possibly money, but hey, it don't hurt so not worth arguing about.

edit:
    And I have never experienced condensation problems in an ammo can, although one of mine did fill with water when the Thames was in flood for a few weeks with the cache under a couple of feet of water
    It's certainly not wasting money I seem to get these sachets free with everything from shoes to digital cameras

We have found a number of ammo cans with damp mouldy contents. If you consider the effect of fluctuating day and night time temperatures on damp air in a metal box condensation seems a likely culprit.