Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Kirkwall Active Station

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sagina nivalis Guest

Default Kirkwall Active Station

Would this be it? Let me know if I have it wrong - I only know about concrete pillars

Sagina nivalis Guest

Also (Bernie?), can you post anything on the source of this trig, also the nearby Towerhill, so that I can add some info to my logs?

ted Guest

Rob - yes, the OS active station is the mushroom-shaped dome towards the left of your picture.

Regards
    Ted

Yes, that's it on the left as Ted says. New Active Stations tend to be on shortish tripods anchored to the ground, rather than on buildings. Kirkwall came onstream in July 2007.

This site has a map of current Active Stations. At one time it also housed a downloadable spreadsheet of current and dead stations with coordinates and an indication of replacements etc. But it seems to have been removed. My copy is from 2008, so is now dated - I'll email a copy if you like, but I suspect there's nothing of any interest to you on it.

Towerhill is a phantom pillar, which used to appear on the 1:25k - no doubt an old black-to-cyan error. The rivet itself is the only trigmark listed in square HY4609, but I'm afraid I know no more than that.

I only know about concrete pillars Welcome to the 4th dimension...h34r:

Sagina nivalis Guest

Thanks chaps - logs updated. And all the Orkney logs finally on TUK.

I've been swapping some data with Brisey today - it turns out there were a good few more Active Stations than I'd previously thought. Current GSAK total is 144, but Brisey's list has 205. Some are just 'exact spot' replacements with a new 4-letter ID code, but still it should mean a good new crop of aerials to stare at. :wacko: