Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: New IPhone geocaching.com App !!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New IPhone geocaching.com App !!!!!

The long awaited update 4.0 is here o_O!! This is going to be fun tonight to play with it! Loads of new features, it even tells you where the cache is when one does not understand the hint

I downloaded last night but work got in the way of a serious trial . I like it so far, nice interface and particularly like the accuracy figure since the built-in GPS is the weakest link in the chain.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

I gave it a go today. The GoogleMaps feature is very useful to identify a possible cache location, when real GPS signal is flaky ... as long as 3G is available. Shame that its not possible to cache the Google maps. Hybrid mode is impressive.

TB management, notes and photo import is giving the IPhone a lot of credibility as a Geocaching assistant on the go.

Only bad thing, all my Favorites were erased on upgrade.

Nice, but I still wish they'd get on with the Android version...
    A cache a day ..

We're going caching tomorrow and can't wait to try it out to compare it. I quite look the look of it, I hope it delivers well when we use it!

Nice to see the coordinates and 'accuracy' figure displayed on the main page. Bit worried though that when you are indoors with no chance of the working and in my case on 02 no mobile signal at all it still manages to display coordinates and an accuracy of 262 feet...... Shame it doesn't tell you whether you have a GPS signal or it is triangulating it's position from the mobile signal. Seems to 'remember' your last position and displays that...... But when there is no signal/data I'd expect it to say so, not show coordinates and 262 feet. Still unreliable for placing caches I feel (and I say that as a reviewer as well as a cacher )

Chris
    Mr Blorenge and Graculus