Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: New Site

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Site

Just reading on the Groundspeak forums, it seems like there is a new set up in town. I haven't looked at it closely but from what others have said it does mainly what GAGB do. The site is www.ukcachers.org

It seems like people know who it is who has set it up, shan't make any further comment myself:lol:

imitation is the highest form of flattery
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 14th July 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Ah, but you know what happens to imitations, customs get hold of them and destroy them.

Ah well,
    I suppose the more the merrier !!
    Si vis pacem para bellum

I signed up with the new site, as I like to participate in all the forums. I enjoy the various threads and get all sorts of information from them. However !!!
    I feel I have inadvertantly jumped into a minefield. I may be sea green and very trusting of my fellow man but I did not believe there was so much bad feeling between various factions within, what I thought was a geat hobby.
    As I said on their site. This is similar to a situation that occurred some years ago when she who must be obeyed and I took up Cat breeding. We were amongst the first to breed Balinese Cats (long haired Siamese) We were among the first to join the new Society, formed to protect the interests of, primarily the breed, and secondly assist members (sounds familiar?) My Wife became Hon Sec of the society, and all went swimmingly. UNTIL:-
    The polititians, and persons with their own agendas (some commercial), got involved and fractures started to appear. My good lady who for many years had quietly run the society was unceremoniously ousted, without her knowledge and no thanks for her service, by a group who had infiltrated the committee for their own purposes. This caused more fractures and ended up with at least three different clubs stating they represented the breed !!! It would appear that something that starts with good intentions can get wildly out of shape ! I am beginning to wish that I had stayed just getting the cache locations from GS, finding them and putting my own out. I have no wish whatsoever to get into societies that are fighting each other to "represent" the caching community.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Now confirmed who it is as this was on the emcache shout box:~

[Today at 08:36:52 PM] Itchy: Tim, is UK cachers you and Dave?
    [Today at 08:39:58 PM] Tim: There is a few more than just two

sTeamTraen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Palujia View Post
    This is similar to a situation that occurred some years ago when she who must be obeyed and I took up Cat breeding. We were amongst the first to breed Balinese Cats (long haired Siamese) We were among the first to join the new Society, formed to protect the interests of, primarily the breed, and secondly assist members (sounds familiar?) My Wife became Hon Sec of the society, and all went swimmingly. UNTIL:-
    The polititians, and persons with their own agendas (some commercial), got involved and fractures started to appear. My good lady who for many years had quietly run the society was unceremoniously ousted, without her knowledge and no thanks for her service, by a group who had infiltrated the committee for their own purposes. This caused more fractures and ended up with at least three different clubs stating they represented the breed !!! It would appear that something that starts with good intentions can get wildly out of shape !
    In my experience, this happens in a very large number of cases when people get together in clubs.

I play in an angst-free knockabout cricket team in Strasbourg. A few years ago we travelled to Hanau, a small suburb of Frankfurt, to play against a bunch of expats (who make up most of our opponents). Looking in their scorebook, I noticed that the title of their side was "1. Hanauer Cricket Club", with "1." being pronounced "First". I presumed this was a joke, but I was told that even in this community of 25 or so expats, there'd been a split, and there was now a "New Hanauer Cricket Club".

Another example: I drive an MX-5 car and was contacted by "the" Dutch MX-5 club to help with their annual outing to our part of the world. I kept having trouble finding their Web site, or it would seem to change radically. Then I found that it was due to my inaccurate typing. There's http://mx5club.nl/ and http://mx5-club.nl/, and they don't talk to each other or even acknowledge each other's existence. Again, someone wanted to be the medium-sized fish in the tiny pond and took their ball home with them. Egos, eh?

See also "American Protestant Churches"...