I'm sorry if this thread is going to repeat something that has been done before but I've been searching this site for help for the past hour and I'm still in need of help.

We currently use my iPhone with the full app to find caches and this has been fine but now we want to upgrade to a proper handheld GPS. But we just can't decide between 4 of the Garmin ones and I'm turning to you experts for help. We were going to wait until September when we have found a local event and see what everyone uses there, but being very impatient we want to buy one now.

We are comparing the Venture, Summit, Legend and Vista. The longer battery life of the Legend and Vista is very appealling but is the added extras of more waypoints/favorites/locations, battery life, automatic routing and the micro SD make it a better buy than the other two? Also, do you use your electronic compass and barometric altimeter on the Vista and the Summit or are these things we will never really use?

We have a budget and these four are all around about our price bracket, but we don't want to buy the first one we can get and then regret it later.

Any advice would be very welcome here