Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Which Garmin GPS?

Default Which Garmin GPS?

I'm sorry if this thread is going to repeat something that has been done before but I've been searching this site for help for the past hour and I'm still in need of help.

We currently use my iPhone with the full app to find caches and this has been fine but now we want to upgrade to a proper handheld GPS. But we just can't decide between 4 of the Garmin ones and I'm turning to you experts for help. We were going to wait until September when we have found a local event and see what everyone uses there, but being very impatient we want to buy one now.

We are comparing the Venture, Summit, Legend and Vista. The longer battery life of the Legend and Vista is very appealling but is the added extras of more waypoints/favorites/locations, battery life, automatic routing and the micro SD make it a better buy than the other two? Also, do you use your electronic compass and barometric altimeter on the Vista and the Summit or are these things we will never really use?

We have a budget and these four are all around about our price bracket, but we don't want to buy the first one we can get and then regret it later.

Any advice would be very welcome here

I used to use a Legend HCx but have recentlly changed to a GPSMap60Cx.
    Map60Cx has a larger screen and a small arial which means that unit does not have to be held flat to work properly.

Of the 4 you listed I personally would go for the Legend (HCx version) as you then have the ability to install TOPO maps or OpenSource maps from TalkyToaster(free) and use it for road routing etc. the altimeter and compass on the Vista and Summit will consume extra battery power.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post

Of the 4 you listed I personally would go for the Legend (HCx version) as you then have the ability to install TOPO maps or OpenSource maps from TalkyToaster(free) and use it for road routing etc. the altimeter and compass on the Vista and Summit will consume extra battery power.
    Of these 4 I only have experience of the Vista HCx, it can also take OpenSource Maps, and does turn by turn routing, which is great. I do use the compass, which helps when 'following the arrow', but not the altimeter I can only imagine that would be useful if you're doing serious walking in very hilly/mountainous areas.

I've been very pleased with it.

Strangely enough !! I am just about to put my Legend HcX complete with topo maps on the selling site. See the thread . If you are interested contact me via pm/email
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Well, we went ahead and bought the Legend. Just waiting for a chance to go out and play with it. Palujia, I hope you sell yours soon especially at with that good price.

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    Of these 4 I only have experience of the Vista HCx, it can also take OpenSource Maps,...I've been very pleased with it.
    I'm still using the old Vista Cx, perfectly happy with it too.

We have now used the Legend a few times and the kids absolutely love it. Not sure I'm going to get it back off them! I have still been using the iphone app to instantly update and log the caches but we certainly prefer the accuracy (and the little bleeps!) to help find the caches

Quote Originally Posted by shellous View Post
    ... we certainly prefer the accuracy (and the little bleeps!) to help find the caches
    Arggh, no the beeps drove me mad, till I worked out how to switch them off. I work in silence. h34r:

Our two girls (6 and 4 years old) love the bleeps! As soon as they hear it they get very excited to know they are so close. I suppose the novelty will wear off soon......

Quote Originally Posted by shellous View Post
    Our two girls (6 and 4 years old) love the bleeps! As soon as they hear it they get very excited to know they are so close. I suppose the novelty will wear off soon......
    Er, trust me on this - it won't.
    We're NOT lost !!! We're just not quite sure where we are

happysnapper22 Guest

Default HCx 'v' GPSMAP60CSx

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    I used to use a Legend HCx but have recentlly changed to a GPSMap60Cx.
    Map60Cx has a larger screen and a small arial which means that unit does not have to be held flat to work properly.

DrDick&Vick

Am very new to this and pondering a 2nd user HCx or a new GPSMAP60SCx - its not quite the unit you commment on, you have the 60Cx but I am unclear if you can upload OpenSource maps from TalkyToaster to this unit, you say you can do this to the Legend but you are ambiguous if this is possible to the 60.

Would value your opinion/comment on this.