Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: What Do You Think?

Default What Do You Think?

Just a quick question, what do you think about this log entry

"Was in the area so decided to swoop in and quickly find this one. Easy quick find, nothing taken so nothing left, also didn't have a pen so didn't sign the log but no matter. TFTC!"

Do I allow this as a find or not? The cacher has only found 11 caches prior to this one. I have emailed them to let them know the etiquette. The cache description does say that a pen/cil would be needed.

Strictly speaking, of course it's not a find so they should post a DNF.

But if it was the type of cache where you'd expect a quick, easy find then I'd e-mail to educate them about etiquette (as you have done) and let the cachers choose whether to leave the on-line log as it is or have it deleted. As they are new to the game they might not be familiar with the rules for a "find".

I suspect that it was a bona fide oversight, as they seem happy to admit the mistake. I'd be content to let the find stand.

Some people are strict about cross-checking signatures against on-line logs. But I wonder what they do if the cache disappears between checks? E-mail all the latest finders for further verification?

I'd do as you have done i.e. email them, explain that a signature in the cache log book/strip is generally expected and that some cache owners enforce that expectation by deleting on-line logs if there's no signature to be seen.

And I'd let their 'find' stand... they're very new... wouldn't want to put them off so early in their caching career!

I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to this sort of thing. We've all got to a cache and realised that we've forgotten our pen at one time or another, and 9 times out of ten that will have been logged as a find (although admittedly most people would do something to prove that they've visited - make some sort of mark on the log, take a photo etc.)

You are right to email them to let them know that a signature is expected, but I personally wouldn't delete the log unless I suspected foul play for some reason - and even then I would give them the opportunity to prove that they have visited before deleting the log.

I've only ever deleted one log - that was for an Earthcache where the "finder" had made no attempt to answer any of the questions, had not uploaded any photos and had said something along the lines of "I've visited, but not undertaken the tasks, so I'm logging it anyway - what are you going to do about it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1980 View Post

...I've only ever deleted one log - that was for an Earthcache where the "finder" had made no attempt to answer any of the questions, had not uploaded any photos and had said something along the lines of "I've visited, but not undertaken the tasks, so I'm logging it anyway - what are you going to do about it?"
    How cheeky! So you dropped one of those huge, dragon's egg boulders onto them from a great height?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    So you dropped one of those huge, dragon's egg boulders onto them from a great height?
    I was tempted! It was my other Earthcache that they logged actually. I just deleted the log... they actually had the cheek to email be back saying that they were "very disappointed" that I'd deleted it!

I sent them a reply with a summary of the Earthcache logging/submission guidelines.

I've done a few earthcaches with tedious and onerous logging requirements and either posted a note to remind myself that I'd visited, or not bothered with the on-line log at all. Why claim a find? There's nothing hidden.

I must admit that I tend to either do that with earthcaches or just avoid them altogether. Those that are well-written are often interesting, but they aren't geocaches so I don't feel the need to "log" them particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    Just a quick question, what do you think about this log entry

"Was in the area so decided to swoop in and quickly find this one. Easy quick find, nothing taken so nothing left, also didn't have a pen so didn't sign the log but no matter. TFTC!"

Do I allow this as a find or not? The cacher has only found 11 caches prior to this one. I have emailed them to let them know the etiquette. The cache description does say that a pen/cil would be needed.
    I wouldn't delete the log unless I genuinely believed that the cache hadn't been found. Which is pretty unlikely.

We recently dashed out the door to try and be the FTF a cache that was published late at night. In our haste we realised we'd forgotten a pen. We were too far away to turn back and we didnt pass any open shops to buy one ( Ive done that before). We carried on then got two alerts the cache had been found TWICE before we got there lol!!! So much for the FTF!!! Anyhow, we took two photos, one with the cache container and log and the dog in the backgorund, and one of the log with the first two signatures on it. We also described on the online log an item that was in the cache that wasnt mentioned anywhere else, thus hopefully proving to the owners satisfaction we did indeed find the cache - 2 photos and a description.
    Similarly, we've let a log stand that wasnt signed but the finder posted up a pic.
    Seems fair enough to us.
    We're NOT lost !!! We're just not quite sure where we are

The cacher has now got back to me and has been able to describe the cache location and type of container to me so I have been able to let it stand. Also a thankyou for explaining the etiquette and an ask for if he has any questions or uncertanties can he contact me. Job done, thanks for all the replies.:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by 4 and the dog View Post
    ...we didnt pass any open shops to buy one ( Ive done that before).
    Me too - just a couple of weeks ago in fact!

This has been well covered by other replies, but I made a point in another log that if you keep a "caching" bag with all the requisite bits in, pens, pencils, gloves, spare batteries, 2 way radios etc., by the front door - or as we are now going on hols for two weeks - in the car then, hopefully it won't arise. !!
    Si vis pacem para bellum

If i ever forget my pen i will take a photo of the cache and offer in the to send a copy to the C/O, (as of yet none of them ask for it), i then return the next time i'm in the area and sign the log, normally with my nephew in tow so he can find it.

That is jusy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too organised

After numerous incidents of forgetting pens and having to stop and buy one, forgetting swops and having to stop off at pound shops, forgetting the torch when going out at night etc etc etc we tried something similar.

A brillant idea.

Until someone moved the bag with EVERYTHING in it including the gps, and it took days to find :wacko::wacko::wacko:

We've since gone back to pot luck disorganisation

It's just not possible to be that organised in our house hmy:

Quote Originally Posted by Palujia View Post
    This has been well covered by other replies, but I made a point in another log that if you keep a "caching" bag with all the requisite bits in, pens, pencils, gloves, spare batteries, 2 way radios etc., by the front door - or as we are now going on hols for two weeks - in the car then, hopefully it won't arise. !!

Any geocacher worth his salt will always have his EWI (emergency writing implement) taped to the inside of his thigh with camo duct/duck* tape.

There is NO excuse!

*Choose your preferred name.

I often forget to bring a writing implement ( gets taken out of my bag for using at home sometimes) but I normally have a rubber stamp with my caching name on it which I use, with that I can at least mark the log book, even if it doesn't have a date =0)
    I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven

Hmmm, a Geocaching GPS unit with a built-in pen stylus for the forgetful cacher seems like a better idea. The EWI would be a bit too painful for hairy legs like mine :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Any geocacher worth his salt will always have his EWI (emergency writing implement) taped to the inside of his thigh with camo duct/duck* tape.

There is NO excuse!

*Choose your preferred name.
    hmy:

Now THAT is hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBirds View Post
    Hmmm, a Geocaching GPS unit with a built-in pen stylus for the forgetful cacher seems like a better idea. The EWI would be a bit too painful for hairy legs like mine :P
    If you use a Mio 350/550 PDA you can actually buy a stylus with a built in pen.
    Or of course you could always by one of THESE

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    If you use a Mio 350/550 PDA you can actually buy a stylus with a built in pen.
    Or of course you could always by one of THESE
    Yep we use them, two in a pack from the poundshop in Nottingham. (other retailers are available) LOL

*touch wood* we have never left the house without several pens/pencils as our geocache bag now has quite a few in it!