Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Night Caching

Default Night Caching

I had an idea and was wondering what you all thought
    At a recent visit to an event GC286PK
    I thought it was an awesome idea and quite fancied looking into setting some night caches myself.
    From what I have read so far fire tacks seem to be the thing to use but has anyone tried using UV paint and a compatible torch?h34r:
    Would it be unreasonable to expect a cacher to invest in a UV torch?
    they are only about £10 up to about £30ish from a quick search online.
    would they have the range to be of any use ?
    Anyway maybe I need to go do a little testing
    thoughts and suggestions would be awesome

I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven

Not sure that cachers would want to buy an UV torch just for one night cache.
    Range wise, most night caches are set with the pointers some distance appart and from what I remember of UV torches their range is very limited.

The word on the street is that along with a "Night Cache" attribute, one of the various other new attributes that Groundspeak are adding (presumably in the next update) is a "UV torch required" attribute.

So, with that in mind, no it doesn't seem unreasonable. After all some caches require you to have a boat. A UV torch is certainly a lot cheaper than a boat! :lol:

There's a puzzle cache down our way which requires a UV torch. I won't post the details as the puzzle part is to figure out that you need a UV torch!

I don't have one, and wouldn't buy one just to do a cache, but I see no reason why you shouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    I don't have one, and wouldn't buy one just to do a cache, but I see no reason why you shouldn't do it.
    That pretty much sums it up. If you're happy for the cache to be found rarely then there's no reason not to set it.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Something I have been considering for my next cache (not an original idea I must admit) is a finders kit. So the cache would be a multi with the first part being the finders kit (possibly two in one container). The cacher would then use the kit to find the main cache. Obviously the cache needs to be laid out to ioncourahge caches to return the way they cam and put the finders kit back In this way you could have a couple of UV torches as finders kits allowing more than one cacher to search at the same time.[/FONT]

I had a few similar ideas like a keysafe with a key in it for the lock on the main cache or a puzzel box with the co-ords in it, the problem is that if people dont bother putting the key back or rebuilding the box then you are left to go back everytime and re-set the cache []
    the other idea I had last night was to allow cachers to contact me to borrow a UV torch if they don't have one of their own and return it when they are done as the cache wuld be set fairly local to me it wont be too much of a hassel for me to pop out and meet them []
    I have just ordered 20 UV LEDs so should get a fairly bright torch out of thet []

I've just set a three part series, 2 + bonus. Cachers need to find the first two with co-ords in each for the bonus. They need a UV to read the coords, however, you can get the small torches in £ shops quite easily around here.

cool I just bought 3 poundshop LED torches with the idea of converting them to UV
    but have also just thought about converting the LED lighters you get.
    It only takes a second to replace. I replaced all the blue LED ones we had in the house with pure white LED
    5 lighters for £1, 20 UV LEDs for £2 so for about £6 I could make 20 UV lighters and leave them in a cache as a free gift ...........but that might not be such a good idea leaving lighters in a box as they aren't child friendly =0/
    acht well back to the old drawing board