Thanks Thanks:  3

Thread: Christmas Cache

Default Christmas Cache

The kids want to set out a cache specially for Christmas. It will be a puzzle cache aimed at kids, around a christmas theme, and the idea is to find the cache and take a gift. Here's what we're not sure about. There will be no need to ''swop'' as the gift will be the reward for the kid/s for solving the puzzle. After christmas the cache could revert to being a normal swopsie cache, until next Christmas.
    Does that breach any guidelines? The only one we can think of is the swops issue but wouldnt it be ok to say no need for swops so long as kids find it? We would keep it stocked with small gifts Christmas Eve - on Jan 1st it would become a normal cache. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by 4 and the dog; 20th August 2010 at 10:42 PM.
    We're NOT lost !!! We're just not quite sure where we are

And before you ask - they came up with this idea today, in Norfolk, walking in the Sunshine surrounded by the holiday crowd Shows you where their head is at

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4 and the dog View Post
    The kids want to set out a cache specially for Christmas. It will be a puzzle cache aimed at kids, around a christmas theme, and the idea is to find the cache and take a gift. Here's what we're not sure about. There will be no need to ''swop'' as the gift will be the reward for the kid/s for solving the puzzle. After christmas the cache could revert to being a normal swopsie cache, until next Christmas.
    Does that breach any guidelines? The only one we can think of is the swops issue but wouldnt it be ok to say no need for swops so long as kids find it? We would keep it stocked with small gifts Christmas Eve - on Jan 1st it would become a normal cache. Any thoughts?
    A nice idea - I don't think it breaches any guidelines, and I've seen similar Christmas caches before.
    However - the cynic in me says don't expect people to play by your rules. Unless you check on the contents very regularly - the greed of some finders means you may end up with some very disappointed kids
    Last edited by keehotee; 21st August 2010 at 07:45 AM.

You may struggle with people playing the game as you intend as mentioned earlier.

That aside, a couple of things about caches. On GC.com guidelines, caches should be looking to last at least three months. Also you will not be able to change the cache type once it is published.

Hope that helps a little.

Your big problem will be the fact that you want to make it a Puzzle cache initially as it will then have to remain as such. Maybe you could do the same sort of thing as a Multi with some info for youngsters to collect to find it and call it 'My Cache name' a Christmas cache and then just leave the multi questions the same and just drop the Christmas cache bit from the name

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    Your big problem will be the fact that you want to make it a Puzzle cache initially as it will then have to remain as such. Maybe you could do the same sort of thing as a Multi with some info for youngsters to collect to find it and call it 'My Cache name' a Christmas cache and then just leave the multi questions the same and just drop the Christmas cache bit from the name
    Ahh... good point. hmy: Never thought of that : Yeah, a multi would definately be better on reflection. The ''puzzle'' was going to be simple little things based on Christmas for the kids to work out, but never thought of it having to stay as a puzzle! A multi it is. Good thinking that man and woman.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4 and the dog View Post
    Ahh... good point. hmy: Never thought of that : Yeah, a multi would definately be better on reflection. The ''puzzle'' was going to be simple little things based on Christmas for the kids to work out, but never thought of it having to stay as a puzzle! A multi it is. Good thinking that man and woman.
    You can still keep it Christmas themed as a puzzle.... I had this one out for three and a half years, 365 days of each year, without the puzzle element being much of a problem (well - no more so than I'd intended, anyway )

Edited to add - and left to right that's ...

Davy Boy, Alan Wheelybarrow, Kinky Andy, Wadders, Pete "House of Boo", Kinky kimbo, Martin HancockClan, Steve Blazing Otters, and yours truly
    Last edited by keehotee; 21st August 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    You can still keep it Christmas themed as a puzzle.... I had this one out for three and a half years, 365 days of each year, without the puzzle element being much of a problem (well - no more so than I'd intended, anyway )

Edited to add - and left to right that's ...

Davy Boy, Alan Wheelybarrow, Kinky Andy, Wadders, Pete "House of Boo", Kinky kimbo, Martin HancockClan, Steve Blazing Otters, and yours truly
    Lol LOl Lol .... I took one look at that puzzle and my brain started to ooze out my ears : We were thinking something much much harder, like, how many reindeer has Santa, what does Santa use to fly around the world on Chritmas eve... then use the answers to unlock coords :lol:

From what the kids have in mind, think a multi would be the answer - thanks all for the comments - we've learned some more.

This one near us ran for several years by just changing the container and contents: Christmas Cache

Quote Originally Posted by T.R.a.M.P. View Post
    This one near us ran for several years by just changing the container and contents: Christmas Cache
    That looks excellent.