Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Caches in plastic bags

Default Caches in plastic bags

I read in the rules on the Groundspeak forum that caches should not be placed in plastic (shopping) bags. However i have come across several recently which have been hidden in this way.
    Is this acceptable?
    If not should I remove the bag and replace the cache, or just leave it?

I haven't found loads, but when I do, I have a tendancy to remove the shopping bags. Firstly they become waterlogged and aren't that nice to pick up, with the carrier bags these days they tend to be biodegradable and end up in your hands in bits. Also, I they stand out more most of the time that a well hidden plastic box or other cache container. It is much better to use natural cover for camo if there is no camo bag. Just my two pennarth.

RuberyBlue Guest

I pretty much remove every time and update the log accordingly.

RB

I've tended to note the fact in the log and let the owner sort it out.

I have noticed that some of the time the cache is in a bag because its not a particularly waterproof container (like a chinese meal dish). So to remove it myself could cause problems.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Quote Originally Posted by gazooks View Post
    I've tended to note the fact in the log and let the owner sort it out.

I have noticed that some of the time the cache is in a bag because its not a particularly waterproof container (like a chinese meal dish). So to remove it myself could cause problems.
    In such cases notify the Cache Owner and a Reviewer as well, who will Disable it and request the Owner to rectify the issues.

If a cache is submitted which indicates it's either in a Plastic Bag or uses a take away container, then it gets sent back to the owner for the issues to be rectified before publication.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

I tend to remove unless the container does not seem upto it. Saying that I have found a few old caches, circa 2001 which were in bin bags. Past photos and logs along with the cache page normally mention the bag so in these cases I leave alone.

Default plastic bags on Munros

I have not been caching very long but recently discovered two travel bugs in poly bags next to the cache which was too small to contain them. The cache was on Ben Wyvis. I notice that the bugs have since been removed by another cacher who has left a coin. I wonder if it is also in a poly bag as I seem to remember that the container was quite small. I am not sure what the etiquette is where you might want to leave a larger object than the cache container will hold. I suppose you could change the container but that would change the cache details. What do you experts think?

Personally I would never leave a trackable outside of a cache.

At times I have ended up keeping a TB longer than planned due to just coming across only micros & nanos.

If that is the case I just leave a note on the TB page explaining why I have kept it for so long.

I would not change someone else's container though.

If you come across large trackables on a regular basis you can of course create and hide your own cache that is big enough to take them. I have one of mine that I can arrange for slightly bigger ones to be placed.

Or you can visit an event and pass it on of course.

By and large I agree with The Bee Keeper, if it won't fit in the cache so that you can close the lid properly then don't leave the TB.

There are one or two exceptions though such, as Cindy:

https://www.geocaching.com/track/det...e-c39d530aad70

We 've sometimes logged "long time since we've found a cache in a smelly poly bag " and owner has removed it themselves soon after .

We don't come across many poly bagged caches in Hampshire/Dorset area.
    We like Greens

We had three placed near us a couple of weeks ago. I read the cache pages soon after publishing and on each one the first line of the description read:

A small cache placed in a plastic bag......

The bags were removed a short time after following contact between one of the early finders and the CO and the cache pages were then updated.

Quote Originally Posted by gushoneybun View Post
    We had three placed near us a couple of weeks ago. I read the cache pages soon after publishing and on each one the first line of the description read:

A small cache placed in a plastic bag......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    If a cache is submitted which indicates it's either in a Plastic Bag or uses a take away container, then it gets sent back to the owner for the issues to be rectified before publication.

Deci
    So how does this work then Deci?

Ive found caches that have been in camo bags and these have been wet on the inside.
    Not nice opening a bag reaching in and pulling out a slug!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuchan View Post
    So how does this work then Deci?
    Sorry I missed this one.

To answer the question, the issues is highlighted to the Cache Owner and the submission is Disabled. The Owner asked to enable it for final review, one the issue has been rectified.

The large majority to comply with the request, as it's not something we make on a whim. But have genuine reasons to do so.

In the case of a non compliant CO, which is revealed after publication. Usually by a finder pointing out the issue to me. I will Disable the the cache with a request it is not enabled, until the Owner has rectified the issue.

In this case the Owner by providing false information to Reviewers, has used up the leeway normally given. As we work on a basis of if you work with us, we will work with you.

It makes submitting caches for Review and publication fun for both the Reviewer and Cache Owner. What is not fun is having to deal with non compliant caches. It's not fun for the Reviewer and Certainly not fun for the cache owner. And is not fun for those finding those caches either.

The number of emails my colleagues and I receive off grateful Cache Owners, because we've pulled them over simplified issues as Plastic Bags and take away containers.

A lot of the above is subject to us knowing the issues at the time of submission. Some do slip through the review process, as the issue is not obvious at the time of Review. In which cases the Caches are Disabled, the Owner requested to rectify the issue. The next time that person submits a cache for Review. They have learned what not to do, and so are working with us and not against us, so Reviewer and Cache Owner are happy.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC