Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Eigg on Face; Taking it remote again in June 2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Simply Paul Guest

Exclamation Eigg on Face; Taking it remote again in June 2011

After much head-scratching and looking into a long list of potential Scottish island and mainland locations for my next extreme event - following on from St Kilda in 2007, St Agnes IOS in 2008, Unst in the Shetlands in 2009 and a tidal island off the coast of Jersey in the Channel Islands in June 2010 - I think it's the right time to return this series of events to their origin; an off-the-beaten-track location that offers visitors a very special experience... Basically I've run out of N/S/W geographical extremes to visit for now (but stay tuned- I'm working on something else rather cool! No, it's not Lowestoft) but this is an extremely dramatic and interesting location on a little-visited island in the inner Hebrides. At the time of writing there's not even a cache on it! I'd hope to leave a cache behind with local support when I visit Eigg to climb the 1,200ft An Sgurr in June 2011.

I'll link to the event from this thread in late December, when I'm able to have the page listed. In the meantime, here's a photo to whet your appetite - The event will be held (so long as the weather means it's safe to reach) at the trig point at the 'prow' of the rock, at 393m above sea-level, which is where we'll be starting from:

Eigg has some other treats in store; the famous 'Singing Sands', the 'Massacre' and 'Catherdal' caves and if I can arrange it with people with suitible skills and equipment, something like this! I also plan to camp on the island and visit Rum and Muck too...

More news here as and when I have it. I hope you'll be keen to join me somewhere amazing

RuberyBlue Guest

I'm very tempted, keep me in the loop.

RB

Simply Paul Guest

Following up on last week's Eiggy announcement, I have news of further Highland Adventures planned for June 2011:

Pub events; a mainstay of caching meets. Where better to compliment my 'Britain's Fifth Most Remote Event Cache (Eigg)' event than one in mainland UK's most remote pub, The Old Forge, Inverie, Knoydart. There's even a cache near by. Earlier in the day I intend to climb the localish (Metric) Munro, the 1010m (3346ft) Ladhar Bheinn, which is a hearty 22Km/13mile round route walk away - I may take a shorter route if I find a good description of one. I'll only attempt this walk/climb if the weather is settled enough- safety first! You'd be welcome to join me for the day but it's not the event. I'm only doing the walk to build up a thirst (Diet coke in my case)

More news, as and when...

Simply Paul Guest

Having pondered nevryan's suggestion on the other forum, I've checked my schedule for my Scotland trip and decided there's time to have 'a day out' on Ben Nevis. Thus I'm going to arrange a CITO event at the top; anyone who's been up there will know it's not the cleanest of spots so gloves and sturdy rubbish bags will add an extra dimension to the climb and geomeet. The date is yet to be set, but the last half of June or very early July 2011 is in the frame at the moment. More info on this event, as well as the Eigg and Knoydart pub ones, to follow when I have it

Simply Paul Guest

(Ben) More? You are spoiling us Mr Simply!

In addition to a CITO meet to tidy-up the 'roof of Britain' atop Ben Nevis, a pub meet in mainland Britain's most remote hostelry and a climb to the top of Eigg (for 'cracking' views?) already announced for summer 2011, I'm going to add a meet at the top of Ben More, not far from the UK's oldest remaining (1st set in Scotland but the archived GC4E in England was the 1st in Britain or the UK) geocache while I'm doing my own Highland (cache) Clearances:

GCF0 Scotland's First - It's quite a way off the beaten track and with just 57 finds in almost 10 years (set December 15th 2000 - the only live UK cache from 2000), finders will be members of a pretty exclusive club. Date TBC but it'll be in the latter half of June 2011 or very early July. It's on a Munro for baggers of 3000ft hills and at 1174m, it's a Metric Munro too. In fact, Ben More is the highest mountain south of Strath Tay.

I hope you agree it's shaping up to be quite a fortnight of geocaching experiences. Fingers crossed for good weather :socool:

Edit: I've just spotted Scotsbob is holding an event on December 15th this year to celebrate the cache's 10th birthday: GC2BXRY 10 year anniversary of Scotland's First. As someone who went to Goldpot's excellent GC253NT GC4E England’s First! 10th anniversary meet for the now archived GC4E England's First! (Actually Britain's first cache, I think) I'd love to attend but I doubt I'll get up to Scotland for it.
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 27th September 2010 at 02:49 PM.

Simply Paul Guest

I've discovered an amazing Scottish film location which is usually closed to the public may be open at some point in June 2011 - I'll post more info if I can confirm this is the case. It'd make a wonderful addition to any trip to the West Coast!