Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Er Hey

Iamnotasuperhero Guest

Default Er Hey

Hey guys,
    My name is Alan and I'm from Surrey.
    I've known of Geocaching for a while but only recently had my first chance to catch a local Cache, ended up getting ten in my first two days and planning to get some more on a local walk soon.

Has to be said, all this is living up to my expectations, ended up buying the Geopatch to see if anyone notices the logo on my hoody when I am out.

So, any questions? Any advice? Any horror stories?

RuberyBlue Guest

Hi Iamnotasuperhero,

Welcome to the forums.....

Its to late now to ditch the bug that is geocaching, prepare to lose a large proportion of your previous life - enjoy it!

RB

Iamnotasuperhero Guest

Heh, I fully expect it, I've been the sort of guy who takes random walks for years and I see this as a good use of my time.
    The bug has bit and I shall cache till I run out of caches.
    Oh and thank you for the welcome.
    Last edited by Iamnotasuperhero; 27th September 2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Didn't want to appear rude

Best advice I got when we started was :
    a. Don't go caching in shorts (brambles and stinging nettles)
    b. Have a bag/rucksack with spare pens, pair of gardening gloves, loot for swaps - and - I always carry some spare lock type plastic bags of various sizes and a couple of different size log sheets (available as downloads on this and Groundspeak site) to replace/add to full logs or wet logs.
    c. Start with the easy ones - look at the top of the info sheet on groundspeak and try to choose easy terrain, larger caches and easy difficulty rating - nothing is more off putting than going for a caching day early in your caching life and having lots of DNFs (did not finds). Read the clues carefully and look at the previous logs to see if cachers have found it hard or easy.
    d. Involve partner/offspring - nothing worse than a bored other half shouting "Haven't you found it yet?" Use the "fresh air", "exercise" and puzzle solving aspects if necessary - if all fails try and find another cacher to go with and leave the partners etc., to retail therapy !!!
    Bon chance !!
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Iamnotasuperhero Guest

Thanks for the advice Palujia. I know my girlfriend would enjoy Geocaching, but not to the same extent I would but she has no problems with me rushing off with a friend for a days hunting. I never thought about taking spare logs around with me but it does sound like a good idea, I do like to be prepared (was once a scout, but I kicked the habit) and have a backpack I use when cycling, that can easily double as my chaching supplies. Very useful.

"She who must be obeyed" started off all enthusiastic but after a lot of stings, bramble thorns and sore feet she now likes to sit in the car with a good book - the two way radio and elderly dog for company. !! Still if your girlfriend gives it a go she may enjoy it !!
    happy caching
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Welcome, Alan.

Another bit of advice: Try attending an event when there's one conveniently near to you.

You can use the GAGB Calendar link (on the horizontal stripe above) to see what events are coming up.