Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Nanos containers what are they?

Default Nanos containers what are they?

Just out of curiosity, what do nanos containers (the small magnetic ones with room for a micro rolled up log) start off life as. I am curious cos if you look inside the lids they have what looks like a small PCB with two connections.
    Does anyone know?

I believe some start out as dog ID barrels:

http://www.dhgate.com/high-visibilit...57070343d.html

although this is only one variant of the Nano, there are others which don't/didn't have the electronics.

I'm guessing that you're probably referring to these ones rather than the dog tag type.

As for what their original use is... I have no idea, but have wondered that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1980 View Post
    I'm guessing that you're probably referring to these ones rather than the dog tag type.

As for what their original use is... I have no idea, but have wondered that myself.
    yep those ones! glad its not just me with a curious mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1980 View Post

I believe that these start out as dog barrels and are converted by removing the electrics and adding a magnet..

Quote Originally Posted by bsirrell View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do nanos containers start off life as.
    They start off as a handy way of avoiding the need to find a decent hiding place.:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    I believe that these start out as dog barrels and are converted by removing the electrics and adding a magnet..
    Are you sure? What happens to the LED/plastic lens - the magnetic ones have an all metal case with a rounded metal cap. It doesn't seem like it would be particularly easy / cost efficient to make them from the flashing dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    They start off as a handy way of avoiding the need to find a decent hiding place.:cheers:

I've got one in my "things to make caches out of one day" bag which started off life as one half of a set of magnetic light up "earrings" which teenage daughter bought at a festival.

They came in two parts, you put one magnetic bit behind the ear and the other in front. The front bit had the light at the front, the battery in the middle (where you can fit a log instead) and another strong magnet at the back which then kept it attached - no need for pierced ears.

I'm still trying to work out a way of covering the rounded end, which still (presumably) has the LED in, it's white but every type of black paint I try peels off as soon as you handle it. The rest of it is shiny silver.
    Last edited by border caz; 21st October 2010 at 07:09 PM.

Blinkies which Border Caz has described were the original Nano's. Until a enterprising geocacher, saw their potential and had what we use today as Nano's specially made up.

So the current Nano is possibly the only Geocache specific Container made on a commercial basis, in large quantities.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    ...a enterprising geocacher...

Deci
    Hah! mutter...mutter...mutter... I demand his name and number immediately!

I think he is French... certainly likes snails.....

Chris (MrB)