Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: German Giga Event Coming?

Exclamation German Giga Event Coming?

It appears a new icon is on its way! The long-mooted Giga cache event type for 5000+ cachers may be being released today. Given the number of Will Attends already listed (about to jump up?) it could be this Munich event (August 15-17 this year) and if it is, I plan to organise a coach or coaches to go out as I suspect there will be no shortage of interest in the UK. More info when I have it!

Exclamation

Since it's been confirmed, I've set up a group for Facebook users who'd like to get involved in an 'official' UK posse to go out via coach. Don't forget your passport! https://www.facebook.com/groups/GigaOrBust

I'm sure I've missed something, where has it been confirmed? I've not had the Tuesday email yet, is it on there?

Quote Originally Posted by richlay View Post
    I'm sure I've missed something, where has it been confirmed? I've not had the Tuesday email yet, is it on there?
    I was looking earlier as well - I haven't been able to find anything on Groundspeak forums nor on the event page.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

It has been announced now (link to blog) and the icon changed on the event page.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Thanks for the extra info. By confirmed, I meant by the organisers on the cache page, not Groundspeak, but they got there in the end too

Bump for this as an affordable £60-a-head (about 1/2 of flight costs by Ryanair *spits* and EasyJet from London airports) for travel from Milton Keynes Coachway (by the M1, free safe overnight car parking, easy to get to) is looking possible. As is a nip across international boarders to pick up caches in NINE(!) countries on the way there and back. Please see the Giga Or Bust! Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/groups/gigaorbust for more info

My advice to anyone considering this trip - or the Giga in general - is to book accommodation on a reserved basis as soon as possible. Many hotels/sites offer free cancellation right up til the 14th of August so you've nothing to lose. According to one popular hotel booking site, Munich's hotel/hostel/B&B beds are over half full and prices seem to be going up quickly in response. So, don't delay, book today! There is some camping *within* the city centre too, if you really want to rough it.