Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: What do you take with you while Geocaching?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question What do you take with you while Geocaching?

Okay I have been thinking about this for a while now and was wondering what you take when you go out on a days Geocaching. Also do you have any special clothing?

I have seen (on Youtube) that some people have a small bag that contains trinkets, cache repair kits (if you take one of these please let me know what you have in it as I am curious!), any trackables they are moving, I heard about someone having some of that hand sanitiser in case of muddy hands, a pen and pencil are probably good.

Also most of my finds are quite urban and I have not really been into the proper field so to speak but with my new GPS on its way from US I hope to get onto moorlands and good country walks. Do you have all the proper walking kit (erm not sure what I mean by walking kit but hope you do!).

Interested to see what you all put on this one!

Cheers
    Fermi
    Last edited by Fermentum; 17th November 2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Oops spelt Geocaching wrong!

Normally wear a multi pocketed body warmer and in that I carry rubber stamp, pen, some hand gel and a couple of small swap items.
    Carry a small back pack that normally contains a few more swap items along with waterproof leggings, couple of sweets, any TB's/coins we are moving along and a repair kit (contains small clip lock bags, temp log books, a couple of spare micro tubs, insulating tape and some small pencils)

I have a small canvas shoulder bag that I adapted by adding a couple of loops and I hang it off my belt. In it will be:

• GPS (obviously).
    • Blackberry, running CacheSense (used to be called CacheMate).
    • Spare batteries for the GPS.
    • An OS map.
    • Pen.
    • Pen knife or small multi tool.
    • Any TBs or coins I have to swap.
    • Sometimes an old tea towel (if I remember) for drying out damp caches.
    • Sometimes a regular compass and whistle (depends on the terrain).
    • Wallet & keys.
    • If I'm expecting to be out for the day I'll probably take a Chorizo sausage, and maybe a small bottle of water.

In addition I always take a stick of some kind, not that I need it but I like walking with a stick. I got my current favourite when I'd gone out without my Leki trekking pole and felt odd walking without it so I cut a 5' ash pole from the woods h34r:. I also always wear a wide brimmed hat which gives surprisingly good eye protection when bashing through the bushes.

I almost always wear proper walking boots.

I never bother with gloves, or hand cleaner or anything like that.

GPS
    Bumbag ~ containing

Camera (although the GPS does have one)
    Two pencil cases, one with goodies in to leave and one with trackables that need moving. Keeping them separate is easier.
    Pen/cil
    Self Inking Stamps to stamp log books + small piece of wood to rest logbook on for stamping
    Spare logbooks
    Tweezers - for pulling out awkward logbooks
    Three dogs + leads, unless the caches are very urban
    Mobile for emergencies and to contact other caching friends in we need a bit of help, only had to do this twice!
    Torch
    Fleece and or waterproof jacket
    CHOCOLATE!

I take a backpack when I am going out into the countryside

GPS - Garmin Oregon 300 with OS 1:50
    Water
    Pen/Pencil
    Food
    Washed out food tub for trackables to stop them getting lost
    Small bag of Swaps
    Rigger / Gardening Gloves
    Hand wash / Sanitizer
    Wasp-eze

I Need to get

Spare logs
    Spare Micros
    Tweezers

I usually wear

Craghopper walking trousers
    Walking boots
    Suitable Jacket / Fleece

Temp log books from HERE, only costs 1 A4 sheet paper and a couple of mins to fold and cut.