Thanks Thanks:  96
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: UK Caching Mileage 2011 (just for fun)

Coin on the move!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Default Week 11

https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3796

Hi all,

Above are this week results.

Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by Fermentum; 19th March 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Visit my Blog and feel free to become a follower!
    http://fermentumsgeoblog.blogspot.com/

Default Week 12 - Upto and including 25/03/2011

Hello all,

Week 12 is now online, see the link above.

Thanks

I'm missing from the list...

Ooops, just seen I've been promoted! :lol:
    Work gets in the way!

Just trimmed thread back again to load faster

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    I'm missing from the list...

Ooops, just seen I've been promoted! :lol:
    Dont scare me like that!! Thought I had missed something!

Hahahaha.

Default Week 13

Hello everyone,

Week 13 is now online (see link)

Dave

Thanks!

Starting to get a few miles in!
    Work gets in the way!

Just logging on to see how everyones doing. Would like to Know Slighty Tall Paul has managed to clock up the miles!!!! Well done

His job entails even more travelling that Steves weekly trip back and forward.

Quote Originally Posted by aligees View Post
    Just logging on to see how everyones doing. Would like to Know Slighty Tall Paul has managed to clock up the miles!!!! Well done
    Thanks aligees, as DrDick&Vick have stated, my job involves travelling. I'm a delivery driver for SportsDirect. Most of the time I work with a colleague double-manning, hence I can be in Plymouth yesterday morning, then Keighley this morning. Drivers are issued their runs at random (to stop arguments), so I've no idea where I'll be tonight, but thanks to my c:geo app I should be able to find a cache somewhere.

I'm not apologising for taking advantage, after all, it's all for fun

Happy caching, Paul
    Last edited by Slightly Tall Paul; 3rd April 2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spellink!

Default Week 14

Hello all,

A few things this week.

I have missed a person off 3fatties. Sorry you where in the Leagues but I didn't adjust the parameters for the Total and the Weekly amount. I have now corrected this.

Also Predictable Bob has been added, a new cacher that I think has already posted a few times in the forums. Welcome to you Bob! (I know we said entries are closed but I haven't turned anyone away yet so didn't want to start and do that!)

DrDick please could you prune the thread, its taking a while to load again but I think it maybe something to do with my connection as its slow on all sites not just GAGB.

I think Slightly Tall Paul needs a big round of applause for hitting the 10,000 mile mark. A BIG well done to you!

And finally I wanted people to post a few ideas on how we can improve the mileage fun competition as, judging by the number of posts over the last few weeks people are losing interest (I might be wrong about this though?)

Link as usual is here:

Thanks everyone.
    Dave

I'm not sure that the lack of posts indicates that people are losing interest. We certainly aren't. We're enjoying it very much and still check the stats every Friday to see how everyone's doing. Don't think there's any need to worry Fermi!
    Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles?

I bet Slightly Tall Paul is glad he isn't paying his own fuel bill - looks like we will need some more 'awards' soon if he carries on at this rate.

Are Bill D (wwh) and Pieman holding out for the last person to get off the starting blocks. Although it looks like Bill made a flying visit to see the Apollo Fir on the 1st, but couldn't get the coin through border control

My personal challenge is to catch svk616g - each time I get close, they sneak away. I haven't been far in the last couple of weeks, but should make up for it next week as I have lots of miles to drive (just hope I have time to stop for a cache or two).
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post

Are Bill D (wwh) and Pieman holding out for the last person to get off the starting blocks. Although it looks like Bill made a flying visit to see the Apollo Fir on the 1st, but couldn't get the coin through border control
    Stupidly I forgot to take mine with me to Perth...

But then, I only entered for the Wooden Spoon...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Quote Originally Posted by Fermentum View Post

And finally I wanted people to post a few ideas on how we can improve the mileage fun competition as, judging by the number of posts over the last few weeks people are losing interest (I might be wrong about this though?)

Dave
    A few statistics.
    So far: nine caches for 718 miles.

Extremes:
    Most Northerly cache: N 54° 54.882, Angels View (Tyne & Wear) GC781
    Most Southerly cache: N 52° 10.440, Lovely Loxley #1 GC2C5NV
    Most Easterly cache: W 0° 48.825, Motorway Mayhem A14 Junction 3 Orton GC1JZRF
    Most Westerly cache: W 1° 37.843, Lovely Loxley #1 GC2C5NV

Furthest cache from home: Angels View
    Best caches for mileage: Angels View (Tyne & Wear) to Brindley’s Bends – Stretton Wharf. 172 miles on the coin in one trip!
    Last edited by Bear and Ragged; 9th April 2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Work gets in the way!

Thumbs up

Good idea Bear and Ragged, here's my coin's stats:

So far: 180 caches for 10600.1 miles.

Extremes:
    Most Northerly cache: N 56° 06.629, Geo Burn Wynd GC29Z0D
    Most Southerly cache: N 50° 22.161, Church Micro 1446 - St Andrews GC2GYX1
    Most Easterly cache: E 001° 25.895, East Cliff Beach Art GC2D5T0
    Most Westerly cache: W 004° 08.381, Church Micro 1446 - St Andrews GC2GYX1

Furthest cache from home: Church Micro 1446 - St Andrews, 234.03 miles from base
    Best caches for mileage: Geo Burn Wynd (Fife) to The Gruffalo's Cache (Hampshire). 369.35 miles on the coin in one trip.

I also noticed that Bear and Ragged and I have one cache in common; Wetherby Services GC1XQ5V which I visited on March 21st and Bear and Ragged visited 2 days later (in a substantially smaller cachemobile! hmy: )

Happy caching, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Slightly Tall Paul View Post
    I also noticed that Bear and Ragged and I have one cache in common; Wetherby Services GC1XQ5V which I visited on March 21st and Bear and Ragged visited 2 days later (in a substantially smaller cachemobile! hmy: )
    Noticed I was the log after yours so mentioned the GAGB UK Mileage Competition, as you did!

Only good for transporting one cacher!

Shortest distance logged for the coin?
    BSS5 to Wetherby Services 0.33 of a mile. :lol:
    Work gets in the way!

Default Week 15

Hello everyone

Hope you are all fantastic! Well the weather is hotting up (finally) and the caching weather is starting to come about! Week 15 stats are now online. Can't believe it has been 15 weeks since the start of the year and the fun competition.

One thing I found this week for me is that the weather was that good I had no chance picking up any caches because when we went to GZ there was simply too many people about. I loaded the GPS up before we went and when we got back about 2 hours later I went to log my DNFs and Beauchief had set a mini series along the exact spot we just had a walk, was gutted because I could have had my first FTF! Never mind!

Well done to everyone this week, a good few miles have been put on the board and between the lot of us we have racked up 77 thousand miles!

One thing while entering the miles this week I wondered what percentages of that total 77k slightly tall paul had made up. So I calculated it, and then did myself as well. And I thought I would share it with you all seeing I had done it! I have left the miles in there as well so you can see exactly how may behind the person above you is.

As you can see the top four (Diamond League) make up 45% alone! Leaving the other 55% of all mileage to be split between the other 43 of us.

Some other things that I had a look at this week with the 77,812 miles we have gone.

The average distance that the moon is away from the Earth is 238,855 miles. We are about a third of the way to that and about a third way through the year (at the end of April). So at the moment we are on course to Cache to the moon in a year! How cool is that!!!!!

I then stupidly looked to see if we could cache to the Sun. 93,000,000 miles! So if we achieved the Cache to the moon in the year it would take us 389 Years to the sun! So some how I don't think we are going to be able to, maybe with more in the competition next year!

Another fantastic one to compare our joint efforts is, round the earth is just short of 25,000 miles which means we have already cached around the globe 3 times!

We have covered the distance to walk to the top of Mount Everest and back down again 7,046 times.

We have gone down the length of the Nile 18 (almost 19) times! And down the Amazon 19 and a half times.

Just found out the longest word is 189,819 letters long but it is disputed to whether it is a word. (Thought I would throw that in! :lol

Here is one that took me a minute or two to work out. Today 15/04/2011 is the 105th day of the year. Which means there has been 2,250 hours in the year, which therefore means there has been (as of midnight tonight) 151,200 minutes. So we are at the moment averaging 1 mile every 1 minute 56 seconds. To find out how many minutes it takes you to do a mile simply take 151,200 and divide by your miles. Don't forget if you have an answer of say 2.5 that is 2 and a half minutes not 2 mins 50 secs.

Really enjoyed doing the mileage tonight and am hoping I have more time like tonight to throw a few more things in. Let me know what you think. Always love to hear from you all.

HAPPY CACHING!
    Last edited by Fermentum; 15th April 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Changed to have image as table because it was long list

I like your stats Fermi - think we should aim to get to the moon by the end of 2011

You were too quick for me tonight - just logged my finds from the way home this afternoon .... but I've still not caught svk616g (still 200 miles behind).
    GAGB member since 2005

I think someones a stats geek...

With the better caching weather (if we can avoid the increased muggles!) the mileage should increase... How far back to Earth, from the Moon, can we make it?! :

:lol:
    Work gets in the way!

RuberyBlue Guest

I'm fully engaged in the challenge. Still trying to get promoted without unnecessary car mileage - currently in Arizona though, that is a UK county, right?

RB

Pleased that we have managed to top the 1000 mile mark. Now no big mileage jumps until we go down to Cornwall and then back home for the birth of our 1st grandchild, and then back to Cornwall.
    Just need to do a cache or two when we arrive in Cornwall and at least one when we are back home. Might even manage to reach 2k.

Mogwai Liz Guest

Great stats. I like knowing how far I am away from the people directly above and below me. Thanks.

Picking up on the comment about whether people are losing interest, I still follow the graphs every week. I know I'm never going to win or even join the Diamond league, but I'm enjoying the race in the Ruby league by finding at least one cache every time I travel for work. We're hoping to do a deal with a new customer in Totnes, which will certainly help.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
    but I've still not caught svk616g (still 200 miles behind).
    None of my customers want visitors over the Easter holidays so my caching is pretty local at the moment and Maple Leaf will be probably be ahead of me by May day.

Quote Originally Posted by svk616g View Post

None of my customers want visitors over the Easter holidays so my caching is pretty local at the moment and Maple Leaf will be probably be ahead of me by May day.
    Neither do my customers .... and we are also on holiday, so my caching is also going to be very local over the next 10days.
    GAGB member since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by RuberyBlue View Post
    I'm fully engaged in the challenge. Still trying to get promoted without unnecessary car mileage - currently in Arizona though, that is a UK county, right?

RB
    If you can have Arizona, we'll have that well known English County - Kerala......

RuberyBlue Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick&Ali View Post
    If you can have Arizona, we'll have that well known English County - Kerala......
    If we are both agreed these are part of mainland UK I can't see anyone having a problem with this....

RB

Sorry not updated this week, looks like I may have to skip a week. Got called to an urgent BBQ with lots of beer. I am 100 miles away from home and no computer time. Not sure if this will post because i doing it from my phone!

Pleased you've got your priorities just right - cheers :cheers:
    Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles?

+ = TOP PRIORITY

32. Default

:socool:

That's what I call a result - both for you and me !

I clocked up a few caches this week but not much mileage so with good luck and a following wind I'll be back on track by next week ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Managed to get over the 500 mark this weekend in fact 666 is the number of the beast, how cool is that? :socool:

Thumbs up

Congrats John (I see that your coin is now at 728 miles, even better!)

My coin has just passed 13000 miles and did so at this cache, which claims to be Britain's most easterly cache. I see that Simply Paul is holding an Event Cache nearby soon, so maybe other GAGB 2011 Milage Tracker coins will visit this "extreme" cache

35. Default

Managed to scrape past 500 today - hopefully I'll put a few more on by Friday !

Another 66 (and nearly a half!) miles added today, making 813.3 miles, the third GAGB coin to visit, one of the others being Aligees back on the 4th of March!

Motorway Mayhem M6 -Stafford Services South
    Last edited by Bear and Ragged; 26th April 2011 at 08:42 PM.
    Work gets in the way!

Default Week 16/17

Hello all,

I have now updated for Weeks 16 and 17. You will notice on the tracker graphs that the last two weeks are the same. But I couldn't really do anything different.

https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showt...9274#post49274

Happy Caching

Fermi

Thought I'd been missed out but it seems I've been promoted from Emerald up to Sapphire, Thanks Fermi :cheers:

Managed to pass 1000 mile mark today.

Default Week 18

Well its that time again! Week 18 is now online.

https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthr...9274#post49274

Any suggestions for any changes to mix it up a little?

I have also made these:

That should keep the top league going for a couple more months!

DrDick would you put the code on the other thread please? DONE
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 23rd June 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Its highly unlikely I will get the time to update the graphs this week.

Sorry.

Sorry.
    As far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure most if not all will agree, there's never *any* need to apologise if/when you miss a week or two. We're just grateful for all the work you've put into this.

Nigel
    ...miles to go before I sleep...

Sorry.
    Not a problem Dave .... mine wasn't going to look that good anyway, so it will give me a chance to catch up again ...... I did a round trip of over 300 miles yesterday and didn't get a chance to stop for a cache - what a waste of miles
    GAGB member since 2005

44. Default

:socool:

Off the hook - I knocked up a few miles today and thought I was going to miss the update !

Hello all,

Got some time this morning to update the stats! See below.

Well done to simplysup and Captain gore-tex for hitting the 10,000 mile mark.

Well done to 3fatties for been the first weekly winner outside the top league!

Last edited by Fermentum; 14th May 2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added a bit

Default Weeeeeeeeeek 20

Its that time of the week folks!

Just for advanced warning I will not be doing an update next week because I am going away for the long week end.

The week after that maybe a little touch and go because I am going away the Saturday to Cornwall. Which means I will be coming back the Friday after and I don't think I will be up for an update after a 7 hour or more drive.

So potentially 3 weeks will not be updated but I will try and get it done.

If someone would like to give it a go I would be happy to send them the sheet and explain.

Cheers

Mogwai Liz Guest

Gives my mileage chance to look better lol

Its that time of the week folks!

Just for advanced warning I will not be doing an update next week because I am going away for the long week end.

The week after that maybe a little touch and go because I am going away the Saturday to Cornwall. Which means I will be coming back the Friday after and I don't think I will be up for an update after a 7 hour or more drive.

So potentially 3 weeks will not be updated but I will try and get it done.

Cheers
    Hooray! Because we are away for a week in Italy, so hopefully we can grab a cache or two when we get back to England and so our graph won't be in a straight line Enjoy your holiday!
    Lang may yer lum reek. :cheers:

Default Week 21 and 22

Hello all,

Hope you are all well.

I have done week 21 and 22 together.

I am doing a 7 hour drive tomorrow to go to Cornwall for a week and may not be up for doing the mileage next Friday (as I will have drove back then!).

So you may well have to wait two weeks again.

Happy Caching!

Fermi

Thanks for doing the update last night ..... it is appreciated.

Have a good week in Cornwall.
    GAGB member since 2005