Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Anyone getting out?

Default Anyone getting out?

Is anybody actually geting out there and caching in this weather?

Have thought about it, but decided against the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by border caz View Post
    Is anybody actually geting out there and caching in this weather?

Have thought about it, but decided against the idea!
    Waiting for the weather to improve. Last time we found a cache in the snow the next finder remarked that we hadn't covered our tracks. We did visit some extra boulders to stop it being too obvious but what were we supposed to do - run madly all over the hillside :wacko:?

RuberyBlue Guest

Planning an early outing tomorrow, first caching for some weeks due to achilles problems...

RB

We'd planned a walk in the Lakes today taking in a few caches (naturally). We've had snow for a full week now, so planned our route starting from a main road (A66). Unfortunately it put down another 4" last night and we could hardly get out of our village safely Not happy at all! Mrs BigLad even mentioned the dreaded words "you could always paint the bathroom" - great! Maybe tomorrow - caching not painting that is !
    Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles?

For me it seems like I found the addiction of Geocaching at the wrong time of the year. I have been on 11 finds for a month now. Mainly due to the weather but due to other things going on as well.

I am hoping the weather eases up a little.

Slogging through the snow can make it a bit easier - tracks led straight to log pile in Westonbirt Arboretum today !!
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Palujia View Post
    Slogging through the snow can make it a bit easier - tracks led straight to log pile in Westonbirt Arboretum today !!
    A few years ago I was FTF on a cache, it was one of those where when you're approaching there are a number of likely spots and it just happened that I chose the right one first time. As I retraced my steps back to the path I realised that I'd left a very obvious cachers trail, so just for grins I made a false trail to every other tree in the GZ

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    A few years ago I was FTF on a cache, it was one of those where when you're approaching there are a number of likely spots and it just happened that I chose the right one first time. As I retraced my steps back to the path I realised that I'd left a very obvious cachers trail, so just for grins I made a false trail to every other tree in the GZ
    We did the same last year, so walked past and back and all around even kicked snow away from near rocks and gate posts. All to no benefit as the sensible cachers all waited for the snow to melt.

Fantasyraider Guest

This time last year I never stayed in the house and went out in the worst weather!
    I would almost cry with the pain of frozen fingers while trying to sign a log.
    (I was on a newbie high and there was no stopping me!)

This year is soooo diferent.
    I look out the window (on my few days off) from the warmth of my bed, um and arrrr for about 2 seconds, then snuggle deeper under the quilt and plan my Summer routes.

But looking back i had so much fun out there in the rain, hail, wind and snow.

i blame it on hitting that 1000th find milestone ... since then it has all gone down hill.:wacko:

Talking

I'm on a caching streak and want my streak to be longer than my longest drought. 85 days vs 127 days so far and obviously going out in all weathers.

When it has been particularly awful and I've not wanted to travel far, I have had a go at my nearest unsolved puzzles and have had some success

The most extreme day of caching so far was Heffalump007's Pen Y Fan event
    Enjoy the photos - just looking at them will probably make you feel CCCCCCCCOLD! h34r:

Crikey, just read the logs and seen the pictures. Very pleased I didn't try that one! You must all be very brave - or completely bonkers - to go for that walk in this weather.

This time last year I was still mopping up local ones, as I'd only been "at it" 4 months, the weather wasn't as bad, and it was relatively easy to find an hour or two here and there to grab whatever I was near.

Not so easy now I've done most of the local ones, and the weather is an added turn off.

Think I'll hibernate till spring.

Quote Originally Posted by sandvika View Post
    I'm on a caching streak and want my streak to be longer than my longest drought. 85 days vs 127 days so far and obviously going out in all weathers.
    Ahhh a fellow streaker h34r: same here but I have just been doing short ones, bar a couple of park types in Telford over the last few days as they have virtually no snow down there.

Me, first time in ages today, got an FTF

My first time in nearly 3 weeks, I was 25 minutes behind Jacaru for a third to find the same cache, absolutely brilliant to be out and about.

bit of maintainance work on some of mine but hopefully go find a few tomorrow.

Not had a find in a month busy busy busy! Christmas works night out tonight so if I am okay tomorrow (which probably means I wont be!) I am aiming for my first Earthcache!

Visit my Blog and feel free to become a follower!
    http://fermentumsgeoblog.blogspot.com/

Ended up waist high in snow Monday 3 times in N Wales doing 2 Earthcaches, good to get out and about but very hard to get motivated in this weather.

I haven't been out to do anything in ages. Too busy marking prelims today.

Got out today, found my first Earchcache, well happy!

I think this question is going to crop up again! Snow hit us last night but we managed to get out today and pick up two caches (see my blog for more details).

Its the first Snow Cache I have done but I loved it. Really need to get the proper walking gear and some good wooly socks as my toes where cold, very cold!

Fermi

Quote Originally Posted by Fermentum View Post
    I think this question is going to crop up again! Snow hit us last night but we managed to get out today and pick up two caches (see my blog for more details).

Its the first Snow Cache I have done but I loved it. Really need to get the proper walking gear and some good wooly socks as my toes where cold, very cold!

Fermi
    Yes, went to Hungerford to move my boat today. Though it was in clear water the pounds above and below the locks in either direction were both frozen solid with snow on top of the ice so went caching instead . 2 trads and 5 multis, 10 containers in total and 100% success rate.

Simply Paul Guest

Solly and I managed a 15 mile, 71 cache ring (Leigh Loop plus extras) on Thursday in the snow. It was pretty hard work as my hands were frozen but we completed it without any DNFs
    Then I tried to warm my purple hands up, thus:

Took the dogs for a walk and checked one of my caches was still there - but it was too snowy to get to it, so I'm just assuming it's still there!

Went out today to do the last minute shopping and drove past the location of our Number one cache (Judith's Circular drive no 1) and saw footprints in the snow leading from the parking area towards the hide !
    Wondered if it was dog walkers or ?? Is someone else out and about caching in the bleak midwinter. Got home - pulled up e mail (as you do) and lo and behold a visit by nadaj !! They're a hardy bunch obviously !!
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Finally got out today and did some serious(ish) caching. 10 caches today, still a few more to do in the series, but it was snowing, getting colder and I twisted my knee on Christmas Eve and it was beginning to remind me. NOw on 599, got to find something special for #600 I will be near Tenby when I find it.

would love to be out but not sure I can risk slipping and wrenching my poor old bad knee. Dr's on Friday for result of the x-rays.

Had to go in to Swindon today for "she who must be obeyed" to visit Hobbycraft - run out of essential?? supplies for her card making etc so dragged out me cache bag and threw it in the car "Just a couple" says she!! So two straight DNFs - the compass in trusty Garmin going round and round, so tried the Android app in phone - same thing - Tried for the trolly dash in Sainsburys but could not get the compass to settle - tried working on clue but negative - same with the one in Stratton St Margaret
    She lost patience after an hour of scratting about in cold so admitted defeat (defeat were getting very cold too !)(horrible pun) gave up and came home - Rats, Rats, Rats. Nothing near enough to try now until after New Year - Working nights, and delivering curries in evenings !!!
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Hobbycraft have got some great good reduced items in at the mo, brilliant for putting in caches that you visit or set up. I just got some puzzle dinosaurs in eggs for 29p each.

I'm determined to get out tomorrow, only a couple of days left to beat 100 finds this year.

Went out yesterday for 6 drive bys (well it should have been 7 but I DNFd one)

Today I went up to Warrington, met up with some other cachers, and did the TAAFT series along the Trans Pennine Way, along with some others nearby. Highly recommended, best series I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    I'm determined to get out tomorrow, only a couple of days left to beat 100 finds this year.
    Did it. 103 finds this year, a new record for me. :cheers:

Is anybody actually getting out there ?
    Yes.

...and caching in this weather?
    No.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I've not been out since the end of October Darn bronchitis has knocked me for six, just started another course of anti-biotics in the hope I can shake it off. Going stir crazy... need to get out there and find some caches, battery flat on van (all the cold weather) so need to get that charged so I can get the van started and go looking for drive-bys, even ones in supermarket carparks would be something

New year was good to us, we managed 42 caches over the weekend.