Thanks Thanks:  13

Thread: Garmin's new geocaching site is up (beta)

Default Garmin's new geocaching site is up (beta)

Looks like Garmin have their act together and their new geocaching site is up and running - www.opencaching.com. Already has a link to the GAGB landowner database!

Chris (MrB)

Just had a quick look, it looks good, very bright and up to date. Not had an in depth look a the moment, I will do that later.

Surely the whole point of 'Open' sites is freedom from commercial interest?

One thing that does concern me, it may have been addressed but I haven't got that far is that if caches are duel listed, on OC and GC.com what happens if someone is only a member of OC and then find a trackable in it. There is every possibility that they will remove it and place it in another cache or keep it, adding to quite a lot of confusion.

Maybe it's me - all I get is a page with a logo of circles on it and
    How awesome is your cache?

Nothing to click on for next page or anything.

I get the fully navigateable site.

I wouldn't get too excited. The site has more bugs than a Bushtucker trial in the jungle! I managed to create one account but no more! Just get a polite error message. Their forums are full of posts from disgruntled 'members' complaining. I think Garmin may have rushed into this a bit too soon!

Chris (MrB)

No 'Open Caches' near me.
    I do know there is one listed on https://opencache.uk/

Is the Garmin Open Caching supposed to link?

TB's -Krety's can be shown on the OC site when they are in GC caches.
    And... There is a Firefox script which will show Krety's in GC caches.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Spooky - Tried to create an account and found I already had one !!! Created when I bought my GPS. Seems only to be a small group of caches in the Southampton area (within 100 miles of me). Nice bright site with excellent mapping. The trouble is I don't think one can be a "little bit pregnant" Do we go for it and risk the wrath of GS. I know the arguement is that we are too insignificant for them to bother swatting but I am not too sure about that one !! Or be more cautious and wait and see what develops. I agree that the King log approach of most cachers will be hard to overcome. But I do like the idea of a GB orientated site for All UK cachers (that doesn't either fizzle out or degenerate into a site for malcontents)As we claim to be the UK representative organisation it would make sense in the long run to go with this. I think that it will need quite a few incentives from them though. Competitions and giveaways - and if we do decide to go the whole hog perhaps a negotiation for a "title" slot would be in order "Opencaching GAGB"or "Opencaching GB"subtitled "In conjunction with GAGB" or some such ???
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Palujia View Post
    The trouble is I don't think one can be a "little bit pregnant" Do we go for it and risk the wrath of GS.
    But I do like the idea of a GB orientated site for All UK cachers
    But surely the GAGB is (and has always been) listing site agnostic, it already 'represents' Geocachers (GC.com), Navicachers, Terracachers, and Opencachers (.org), so should also represent Opencachers (Garmin).

And I don't think it's GB oriented, it's also got US caches listed.

IMHO I didn't like the look of the site; I don't like the fact they're using Opencaching as a name, which is already in use by another organisation/group; and I think there are too many listing sites now. But I'll wait and see how it develops. BTW most of the ones listed on there in my area are already listed seem to be also listed on GC.com
    Last edited by martybartfast; 7th December 2010 at 10:33 PM.

GAGB is indeed listing site agnostic to support all UK cachers.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

LOL, just found a cache on Opencaching.com near me, and look what I found in the cache description:

This is now a Premium Members only cache after the event as I feel that it is important to put some funds back into this great hobby of ours. We should encourage new cachers to join and experience the benefits of Premium Membership if they have not done so already. To learn more about Premium Membership at https://www.geocaching.com

Looked good - until I noticed caches can be rated by the owner according to their 'awesomeness'

I don't think there is a single word in the English language that I have come to loath as much as that one!

The people who claim things are 'awesome' always seem to be the same ones who are keen to tell you how 'mad' they are. And usually they are anything but!

h34r:

Quote Originally Posted by *mouse* View Post
    Looked good - until I noticed caches can be rated by the owner according to their 'awesomeness'

I don't think there is a single word in the English language that I have come to loath as much as that one!

The people who claim things are 'awesome' always seem to be the same ones who are keen to tell you how 'mad' they are. And usually they are anything but!

h34r:
    Awesome post!

I'm not mad.
    I have the letter to say I'm not mad.
    The Doctor gave it to me when they let me out.

:lol:
    Work gets in the way!

Sorry - brain fade due to long 14 hour shift - was getting a bit patriotic there not at all awesome !
    Si vis pacem para bellum

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    But surely the GAGB is (and has always been) listing site agnostic, it already 'represents' Geocachers (GC.com), Navicachers, Terracachers, and Opencachers (.org), so should also represent Opencachers (Garmin).
    Agreed.

Can the committee confirm that they have invited the admins of Opencaching.com to the relevant forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Palujia View Post
    But I do like the idea of a GB orientated site for All UK cachers (that doesn't either fizzle out or degenerate into a site for malcontents)As we claim to be the UK representative organisation it would make sense in the long run to go with this. I think that it will need quite a few incentives from them though. Competitions and giveaways - and if we do decide to go the whole hog perhaps a negotiation for a "title" slot would be in order "Opencaching GAGB"or "Opencaching GB"subtitled "In conjunction with GAGB" or some such ???
    Presumably you'd want to do this with all the other listing sites as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    No 'Open Caches' near me.
    I do know there is one listed on https://opencache.uk/

Is the Garmin Open Caching supposed to link?

TB's -Krety's can be shown on the OC site when they are in GC caches.
    And... There is a Firefox script which will show Krety's in GC caches.
    As far as I know, there's no connection between opencaching.org (which has been around for years and has a small core of users in UK, particularly in the SW) and this newcomer opencaching.com... apart from the word "opencaching". So there's no reason why they should link.

It's causing some confusion: I've already had two people ask me why they can't see my opencaching (.org) caches on the new site.

Just to make things a little clearer, the GAGB has provided a little assistance to OC.com in the way of guidelines etc.

We are independent of ALL listing sites and would provide the same support to any listing site that asks.

Ve8 Guest

From OC.com's Geocaching Etiquette:
    The Geocaching Association of Great Britain has produced their own guidelines which are well worth reading as they are specific to Geocaching in Great Britain.
    The Geocachers’ Code of Conduct which is an independent guide to Geocaching written by Geocachers. This is a useful guide (linked to the GAGB) for new cachers as well as experienced cachers.
    ...and from OC.com's How to hide a Geocache
    Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB) has a database containing blanket agreements with landowners throughout Great Britain regarding Geocaching activities on their land.
    I first assumed OC.com was US based but with references exclusively to the GAGB I think peeps could be forgiven for mistakenly thinking that the GAGB had some involvement here.

I understand that some US parks have strict rules in place for Geocaching so why have OC.com not linked US, German, etc content (in addition) for more localised guidelines

I'm probably reading too much in to this, but it seems a little odd

Ve8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    Just to make things a little clearer, the GAGB has provided a little assistance to OC.com in the way of guidelines etc.

We are independent of ALL listing sites and would provide the same support to any listing site that asks.
    Opps, must have got in while I was typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ve8 View Post
    Opps, must have got in while I was typing.
    Awesome

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose39uk View Post
    Awesome
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    As far as I know, there's no connection between opencaching.org (which has been around for years and has a small core of users in UK, particularly in the SW) and this newcomer opencaching.com... apart from the word "opencaching". So there's no reason why they should link.

It's causing some confusion: I've already had two people ask me why they can't see my opencaching (.org) caches on the new site.
    You're right, there's no connection.

nobbynobbs Guest

To give you some back ground.

Garmin approached us a couple of weeks ago and I attended a meeting when they disclosed that they were going to be starting an independant listing site.
    Basically they were asking advice from the GAGB in our role as representatives of UK cachers and in our role as the foremost database on agreements.
    I have been liaising on behalf of the committee answering some questions and giving advice as best we can to help guide them.

The site is worldwide but they have amended the wording and added the GAGB links for the UK portal.

We are strenuous in our independance of any listing site but this in no way breaks that, the committee and I have been helping as best we can to develop the site in the best interests of UK cachers.

Obviously I could not say anything immediately as they had asked we keep their confidence until the launch date.
    We hope to continue working with them not in any way exclusively but to the benefit of everyone.

I can say that they are aware that the site is not perfect and they do not feel that it is a finished product. The are very open to ideas and suggestions as to how everyone would like it to change.

Quote Originally Posted by *mouse* View Post

h34r:
    What about Team Awesome?????

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarratt View Post
    What about Team Awesome?????
    Hmmmm - I'm saying nowt

FollowMeChaps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    .....Basically they were asking advice from the GAGB in our role as representatives of UK cachers........
    Then why isn't it the GAUK?

FollowMeChaps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    .....Basically they were asking advice from the GAGB in our role as representatives of UK cachers........

Seriously though it's great to hear that Garmin took some notice. That's awesome! (Sorry, **mouse**, I couldn't resist.)

Quote Originally Posted by FollowMeChaps View Post
    It was asked, suggestions made, and voted on.

Vote was to stay as GAGB.
    Work gets in the way!