Thanks Thanks:  13

Thread: Garmin's new geocaching site is up (beta)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Garmin's new geocaching site is up (beta)

Looks like Garmin have their act together and their new geocaching site is up and running - www.opencaching.com. Already has a link to the GAGB landowner database!

Chris (MrB)

Just had a quick look, it looks good, very bright and up to date. Not had an in depth look a the moment, I will do that later.

Surely the whole point of 'Open' sites is freedom from commercial interest?

One thing that does concern me, it may have been addressed but I haven't got that far is that if caches are duel listed, on OC and GC.com what happens if someone is only a member of OC and then find a trackable in it. There is every possibility that they will remove it and place it in another cache or keep it, adding to quite a lot of confusion.

Maybe it's me - all I get is a page with a logo of circles on it and
    How awesome is your cache?

Nothing to click on for next page or anything.

I get the fully navigateable site.

Ve8 Guest

From OC.com's Geocaching Etiquette:
    The Geocaching Association of Great Britain has produced their own guidelines which are well worth reading as they are specific to Geocaching in Great Britain.
    The Geocachers’ Code of Conduct which is an independent guide to Geocaching written by Geocachers. This is a useful guide (linked to the GAGB) for new cachers as well as experienced cachers.
    ...and from OC.com's How to hide a Geocache
    Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB) has a database containing blanket agreements with landowners throughout Great Britain regarding Geocaching activities on their land.
    I first assumed OC.com was US based but with references exclusively to the GAGB I think peeps could be forgiven for mistakenly thinking that the GAGB had some involvement here.

I understand that some US parks have strict rules in place for Geocaching so why have OC.com not linked US, German, etc content (in addition) for more localised guidelines

I'm probably reading too much in to this, but it seems a little odd