Thanks Thanks:  9

Thread: CITO - The 2010 Year End Report

RuberyBlue Guest

Default CITO - The 2010 Year End Report

As I will be away over Christmas and New Year and, what I believe is the final UK CITO of 2010, has taken place (unless you guys know better...) I thought it would be appropriate to post the year end totals:

2010 has seen 15 ‘CITO’ events held across the UK by the Geocaching community resulting in:

545 – Participants involved in litter collections
    595 – Bags of litter collected
    30m² – Himalayan Balsam cleared

Plus numerous bulky items (tyres, bikes etc.) removed.......Congratulations to all of the event organisers.

I will be looking to raise the profile of the CITO next year and with your help surpass this years excellent figures.

If you are yet to attend an event the first of the year is currently 15th January (check out the GAGB calendar regularly).

If you have a hankering to organise an event - Do It! - I have a list of contacts who I am sure will be able to help you with advice.

Don't forget you can CITO every time you are out caching, let us see your before/ after pics.

RB

Its really interesting to see them facts about CITO. It is a great thing and I am going to really try and get to one of these next year.

Fermi

Visit my Blog and feel free to become a follower!
    http://fermentumsgeoblog.blogspot.com/

A very big to all who took part.

Will do my best to take part next year. I did clear up a bag of rubbish from around one of my caches and brought it home to separate the recycling out - but that's really a very small drop in a big ocean.

I missed the London one and would have attended had I known about it.

Is there any chance that CITO events can be advertised a bit better? Either on the GS forums or this one. I know I should have a PQ set up but even so, they are so infrequent that invariably I miss them.

I missed the Oxford one this year but will get involved if one is held in the new year - the more we get involved the better - good publicity for the hobby and a good recruiting ground for GAGB (although I suspect most attending CITO meetings will be members !!)
    Si vis pacem para bellum

RuberyBlue Guest

Quote Originally Posted by border caz View Post
    A very big to all who took part.

Will do my best to take part next year. I did clear up a bag of rubbish from around one of my caches and brought it home to separate the recycling out - but that's really a very small drop in a big ocean.
    Hi border caz,

As far as I am concerned every bit of litter picked up helps

RB

RuberyBlue Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nicktinknick View Post
    I missed the London one and would have attended had I known about it.

Is there any chance that CITO events can be advertised a bit better? Either on the GS forums or this one. I know I should have a PQ set up but even so, they are so infrequent that invariably I miss them.
    Hi nicktinknick,

My plan is to raise the profile next year

RB

RuberyBlue Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Palujia View Post
    I missed the Oxford one this year but will get involved if one is held in the new year - the more we get involved the better - good publicity for the hobby and a good recruiting ground for GAGB (although I suspect most attending CITO meetings will be members !!)
    I believe the organiser of the Oxford event is no longer in the UK, so it would be good if someone could take up his mantle....

RB

I wrote this on some other forum but got little response...............We enjoyed the first London rubbish clearing event on Sunday. Without wishing to offend our friends across the pond, what do people think about calling our British events CIRO, cache in, rubbish out? I'm proud of our English language, what do others think? :

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zarbi&zarbibird View Post
    I wrote this on some other forum but got little response...............We enjoyed the first London rubbish clearing event on Sunday. Without wishing to offend our friends across the pond, what do people think about calling our British events CIRO, cache in, rubbish out? I'm proud of our English language, what do others think? :
    I think British cachers seem to know them for what they are easily enough - and rubbish doesn't rhyme with cache

p.s. Trash is listed in the Chambers English dictionary, and is of Scandinavian origin (along with an awful lot of other English words also in common usage nowadays)

Ok, fair enough! We'll carry on doing it, whatever it's called.....though might secretly call it CIRO h34r:!

Quote Originally Posted by RuberyBlue View Post
    Hi nicktinknick,

My plan is to raise the profile next year

RB
    That's great.

Quote Originally Posted by RuberyBlue View Post
    I believe the organiser of the Oxford event is no longer in the UK, so it would be good if someone could take up his mantle....

RB
    I'll give it some thought ! As I live some 15 miles out of Oxford - not sure which bits would benefit from a CITO event - needs a bit of research for council contacts etc. Will try to contact Ali bags or Walk tall in the new year for ideas
    Si vis pacem para bellum