Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Geocaching Apps for Android OS

Question Geocaching Apps for Android OS

I know the subject has come up before, but in a fast-moving market I'd appreciate cacher's current views.

I've just upgraded to an android smartphone, and would like the ability to download and manipulate pocket queries (as in GSAK), and have access to geocaching.com out in the field, and preferably also run MemoryMap which I currently do on a PDA.

The smartphone will be in addition to, and not replace, my existing Garmin 60CSx, so the navigation side isn't so important to me.

I've tried to make sense of the matter on the Groundspeak forum, not helped by references to some app that nobody seems willing to mention by name but which is 'banned' by Groundspeak - not much help if you don't know what app they're talking about!

Any advice on do's or don'ts will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Alan

It's all a bit cloak and dagger, but the app they're referring to is c:geo. Don't know what all the fuss is about, found it really too slow to use in practice (but at least it's free). Official (paid for) GC app is much more usable IMHO, we use it on our Galaxy S but, as you say, it's no substitute for a decent dedicated GPSr.
    Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles?

I can't comment on the android apps as I use an iphone ... but pretty sure *mouse* and keehotee use android phones, so sure they will be along in the morning with some comments.

However, I have just done a few searches and have come up these links that may help you.

Groundspeak's Geocaching Android application

c:geo

GeOrg

GeoBeagle
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

I have a Galaxy S and have tried out C.Geo and found it to be ok if I find myself in an area where I have no caches loaded onto the GPS. I wouldnt actually want to use it for finding but as a means to get hold of coords when wanted it seems to be ok.

keehotee Guest

Although *mouse* and I both have Android phones we practically never use them for caching. I have my closest 4000 unfound caches on an Oregon - and if I'm going somewhere new it's no bother to run a new PQ

But..... I've used c:geo (the app that shall not be named), the official Groundspeak app, and GeoBeagle to try them out in the past - and I have to say the official app is far better, easier and quicker than either of the third party apps I tried. But if you're not concerned with logging your visit the minute you find a cache, and you've got a mapping GPS, a phone just doesn't compare - especially in the rain/mud/snow/cold/wind - or if you're out caching for more than a couple of hours.

To be honest my biggest caching related use has been downloading fresh PQs to transfer to the micro sd card for the Oregon whilst on holiday....

Edited to add..... MMTrack is free and will enable you to use Memory Map maps. The free version shows a blinking cursor only - but the paid version allows you to save/load tracklogs too. It won't, however, allow you to import PQs as the pda version (MMNavigator) used to. Other mapping apps include RMaps, Multimap, and OruxMap - and allow you to download maps (Google/Open street map/OS etc) while you have a wifi signal, and cache them (excuse the pun) for use later on.
    Last edited by keehotee; 23rd December 2010 at 01:12 PM.

It must be a different "official" app than the one I tried, either that or they have updated it drastically since October when I tried it (read here about my experience).

GeoBeagle is a great app that works with off-line caches and logging. It has plenty of functionality. It takes a couple of minutes to do the initial load of the file (one off load) with the 8000 odd caches I tend to load, but is then very quick when you're out there, which after all is what really matters

c:geo is the much disputed app that Geocaching.com don't like as it's all that their own feeble attempt to do an app should have been. The only slight gripe that I had last I use it was that though it stores caches for off-line use you had to be online to log the cache, which is not always possible at some of the more interesting cache locations.
    A cache a day ..

Ended up installing the GC app and have to say it is great, so much better than C.Geo and as you can load in your PQ's it makes it even better for me as my poor lowly Oregon 300 only holds 2000 caches and the Android app doesnt seem to have any kind of limit.
    I can then view the cache page for details but put the co-ords into the Oregon for the actual navigation.
    Just handy for areas that I pass through but dont have loaded on the Oregon but have PQ's for.

Just had a nose at this. I'm a new cacher and have only been caching off my 'droid. Waiting until next pay day and a nice shiny GPS will be mine as I find all the apps are way out since Android updated their OS last month.

I'm a big fan of c:geo over the official ( I use both ). G/speaks app is good as I can d/load my pq's over a 3G connection and they have now updated the app so you can work offline, which was a massive bugbear as my droid chewed power when using 3G or similar.

c:geo I just prefer, I can view more logs on the screen if I'm struggling, you can access parking waypoints from the cache screen also, I haven't found this feature in the g/speak app.

The compass seems more responsive too, much more fluid.

You can log onto the site from both apps.

c:geo lets you access site pics but g/speak doesn't.

I vote c:geo as it lets you access more info on the cache page.

I hope that helps...

saying that, all the apps and the OS on the droid have all been updated recently and the response time from the apps is abysmal when finding sats. Having found almost 200 in a relatively short space of time, we know we are hooked on caching and will make the investment in a proper gps now. I will always have my phone on me though, just as backup.

I have got the official groundspeak app on my HTC Desire HD and it works fine. I only use it when I am curious as to what's in the area. I normally use my GPSr if I've planned to go caching.

must admit that it would be nice if GS updated the compass instead of that old worlde brass looking thing.

I prefer to use the map on it, similarly I prefer the map on my gps. I'm military so have been subjected to my fair share of maps and have good awareness of my direction of travel, only use compasses for bearings (or drawing circles lol)

Coincidently I used my phone to find and log a quick cache this afternoon while I was waiting for my bike to be MOT'd. Found the cache first time and bike passed first time as well. A good day.

Default NeonGeo

I realize that this is an old thread but was surprised to see no reference to NeonGeo - maybe it is too new. But I have been using it for a while on an HTC Sensation and it seems to do just about everything and I am still learning.
    It does cost £2.75 but seems worth it to me.
    Last edited by John Stead; 5th March 2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Enjoy your caching!

Quote Originally Posted by John Stead View Post
    I realize that this is an old thread but was surprised to see no reference to NeonGeo - maybe it is too new. But I have been using it for a while on an HTC Sensation and it seems to do just about everything and I am still learning.
    It does cost £2.75 but seems worth it to me.
    DISCLAIMER I am a moderator over at the Neongeo forums.

Neongeo is a very good application and there appears to be many people who are now coming over to using it after the last GC.com update broke c:geo again. I also know that there are a few people in this forum that use it.

The developer is very active and receptive to users of the application and there is a pretty knowledgeable bunch of people over at the forums who help not only with Neongeo but with caching in general.

There is a 30 day test evaluation version available if anyone wants to test it before purchasing. As with all things which are GC.com API based, it is best to be a premium member at GC.com to get the best out of Neongeo but you can still use it if you are a basic member.

Cachesense is also available for Android.

mjtickner Guest

I currently run c:geo on my android and have been please with it. As someone who doesn't have the spare cash to go buy a nice gps I'm happy with it

I don't have a problem with the speed of c:geo but I only have a few hundred caches loaded at any time. It's not so bad on speed when you have data turned off (PAYG!) since that stops it being slow and trying to find caches.

I have tried CacheSense and NeonGeo - but haven't been sold by them yet. I'll give them another try one day.

I don't actually log on my phone anyway, I update when I get home. I'm not doing more then 5 caches at a time so it's easy to remember!

I also log finds offline - ir I log them in Neongeo and then put better words together fo a fuller log when at home (using GSAK publish logs functionanilty).

C:geo is OK but people should understand that it breaks the Groundspeak Terms of Use policy and that is why it will pretty much break everytime there is a website update.

I have taken the sage advice of Dr Dick and downloaded all the caching apps I can find(the only paid one being the GS app) Some work better than others in different locations, so I have a choice if the GS doesn't work may be the Beagle will etc., Download them all and try Most are free!!
    Si vis pacem para bellum

I'm using CacheSense and it has more functionality than you can wave a stick thingy at. I used to go for c:geo and the GeoCaching.com app, but after beta testing CacheSense for a month I bought it and have stuck to that since.

I use Locus Pro for OS and OpenStreet Hiking maps and Glympse to let the family know where I am from time to time when away on a longer walk.

Oh, and I then turn them all off between caches or the battery will be flat half way round.
    A cache a day ..

Quote Originally Posted by esim View Post
    Oh, and I then turn them all off between caches or the battery will be flat half way round.
    Look on ebay for spare batteries - should be able to get 2 + a wall charger for under £15, sent from China. That solves any power woes

I am a very new cacher and am using c:geo on my android with no problems at all. I only use c:geo to back up my GPSr and it saves writing everything down before a trip out.
    I have recently got rid of a Windows phone (honestly, don't buy one they are rubbish) and used both gc.com's app and c:geo on the windows phone. I found that c:geo to be much better. Also does anyone know why GC.com's app is free on Windows but nearly £7 on android?

I believe that the windows app is not as comprehensive as the official geocaching app on Android and iPhone. I find that there is little difference between c:geo and the official app, certainly not worth paying out twice.
    Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.

searchjaunt Guest

I use GC Buddy regularly for multi caches. It's rather handy top calculate the coordinates in the fields. It's available for both iOS and Android.