Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Notifications

Default Notifications

We have noticed that Wemnog is no longer getting notifications when his caches have been visited. I am seeing them as I watch the caches, any ideas/suggestions welcomed please.

There was a thread in the UK and Ireland forums, which had a response posted from the US side of the forums...

Who is your ISP?

Seems Google may be blocking emails from Groundspeak.
    Google have taken over some email sites and these are blocking emails from Groundspeak as Spam.

Those who were originally Googlemail/Gmail don't seem to be having a problem.

I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I own one virtual listed on gc.com. For some weeks now I've been getting messages through gc.com from finders providing the required proof of their visit, but I haven't been getting notifications of their logs.

I hadn't really given this any thought, but on looking back at my owned caches I think there might be a notification problem with all of them. I'm fairly sure there are recent logs that I didn't get notifications of, though I have been receiving some. I've no idea what the problem might be.

I've just read B and R's post above. I use a mail previewer to view mail on my server - spam is marked for deletion but still visible, so that isn't the problem in my case.
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 22nd January 2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Following up on Bear and Ragged's post
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

GS know of the problem with Google, when Google took over the other email accounts.

I think there may be more than 1 problem...

UK and Ireland thread link, with link in it to the US forum side.
    https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...owtopic=265911
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

No problems with ours, but we do use Hotmail for all GS emails rather that GMail.

The time has come to go hunt some boxes as that is what they are whatever size!!

Thanks, Bear and Ragged - problem solved!

Oh, dear, what a mess!!! Every email that I've received since mid-May last year is still on the mail server, but hidden from my email previewer and my email client! That includes everything that I've supposedly deleted on the server, and everything that I've downloaded to my email client! It also appears to include thousands of non-spam emails that I knew nothing about!

Now if I can read, say, 50 emails an hour, I should be through them by sometime next week...

Will have to have a look, but Wemnog and I are on the same server, so not sure what is happening. Thanks all for your help though.

Just one other thing to note we're with Virgin for email and internet - don't know if Google has aproblem with them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    Just one other thing to note we're with Virgin for email and internet - don't know if Google has aproblem with them or not.
    I'm with VirginMedia too. According to a post in the GS thread that B and R's linked to, Virgin mail is now handled by Google. So although my main address is @ntlworld.com (long since taken over by Virgin), and I don't normally use webmail, it seems I now receive mail via Google, and that seems to be where the issues are.

Edit: Have Wemnog take a look at his mail using webmail by logging in here - if it's the same problem that I had there'll be an awful lot of mail in the inbox.
    Last edited by Bill D (wwh); 22nd January 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: As above

Correct! Virgin Media have outsourced their customer email to Google. Funny to me as I don't use my Virgin Media address.

I had a problem with ALL my GS mail / messages EXCEPT new cache notifications, which go to a different address. The only way I could resolve it was to create a new email address outside my domain (sandvika.co.uk) and change my GS registered address to this address. Ironically, it's a Google Mail address that simply forwards to caching at sandvika.co.uk, the address that GS would no longer deliver to. It has worked ever since and has never been treated as spam.

Maybe it's time to try reverting my GS registered address to the real one and seeing if it now works again.....

So for my 2p worth, GS definitely have something quirky going on, Google Spam classification is generally OK, easy enough to mark items that get classified as spam (wrongly) as not-spam and that seems to be a permanent fix for that originator.
    Last edited by sandvika; 22nd January 2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Obfuscate email address / remove auto tagging

Thanks Bill for your suggestion, had a look and there is nothing there. Wem has contacted GS to see if they can suggest anything, otherwise he is going to transfer his email account to his business address on his laptop which isn't NTL or Virgin. Thinking about what I said about me still getting notifications, all my emails go to the Jacaru account anyway and not the NTL account.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    ... had a look and there is nothing there...

Did you look in the SPAM folder?

Yep, had a look in there, decided to use business email address now and things are coming through fine. Thanks again.