Thanks Thanks:  0

View Poll Results: Should the counties in the South West region be changed?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Somerset should be in the South West region

14 26.42%
  • Somerset (inc. Bath and Bristol) should be in the South West region

18 33.96%
  • Somerset (inc. Bath and Bristol), Wiltshire and Dorset should be in the South West region

21 39.62%

Thread: UK Regions - changes to South West England - Poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default UK Regions - changes to South West England - Poll

There has been some discussion in the Facebook UK & Ireland GC Reviewers & Community Tea Bar and forums about the South West region of the UK and which counties it should include. At the moment the majority of caches submitted in Somerset (and Bristol/Bath) are listed by their owners as South West. Some caches from Wiltshire are also listed in the South West and some caches from Dorset are listed as South West. This causes a problem for us reviewers as we have to then either change the region ourselves or get the cache owners to do so. It also makes it difficult for the community where for example you think Somerset should be South West but isn't always included in searchs for that region. The current region for Southern England covers a lot of counties including Somerset (and Bristol/Bath which are the Unitary Authority of North East Somerset), Wiltshire and Dorset as well as Berkshire and Oxfordshire. Perhaps a West of England region would be an idea but we won't be able to get a new region created.

What effect will moving a county to another region have? None really because the current UK Regions map is a guide only and the actual region (South West/Southern England) won't change it's name, it will just have more (or less) counties in it.

The poll is to get your feelings about where the counties should be. You can only vote for one suggestion. Please note the results of this poll are not binding and it is just to find out what the community feels about this. However if there is a majority voting for a change then this can be impleted quite easily.

Before voting please take a look at the current UK Regions map for the South of England. Remember, we can't add a new region it is the boundary of the South West region that is under discussion.

Thank you

Chris
    Graculus
    Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com
    UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk
    Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

keehotee Guest

Definitely Somerset.
    No to Bristol.

So many of the 'official' departments have Somerset and Wiltshire & BRISTOl as being in the Sth West so I cant see why we shouldn't

So many of the 'official' departments have Somerset and Wiltshire & BRISTOl as being in the Sth West so I cant see why we shouldn't
    Met Office map, the black line marks the boundary as they seee it
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 25th January 2011 at 01:34 PM.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    Met Office map, the black line marks the boundary as they seee it
    But the Met Office only has South West and South East - hence the New Forest being classed as South East rather than South.

If we split England into four lumps then yes, Bristol's south west. But there are far more boundaries than the Met Office uses. Bristol's West, not South West......

I'd be happy to see all the above-mentioned areas listed as South West. But of course this is one of those issues where you can't please everyone whatever you do, and I think that perhaps the option which is likely to be acceptable to the greatest number is moving Somerset to the SW and leaving the rest where they are, so that's how I've voted.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Haven't voted.
    Doesn't seem to be an option to fit my thoughts!

South West.

Somerset. Yes.
    Dorset. Probably.
    Why? They're on the 'sticky out' bit of the map.

Wiltshire. No.

Bristol? Probably more 'Yes' than 'No'.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas