Thanks Thanks:  11
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Major Land Owner approval

The Committee Guest

This thread is for reporting contacts with Major Land Owners (MLOs) where the result has been approval or tacit acceptance of a cache on their land. Originally this thread served as a reference list of such agreements, but we now have a database of all Landowner Agreements in the UK of which we're aware.

If you've had contact with an MLO which has led to them approving or accepting the placing of a cache on their land, please post details here and we'll add it to the database.

If you're looking for details of an existing agreement with a landowner, consult the Landowner Agreements database, as not all new agreements appear in this thread.

Please only post details of positive results here. If you've had difficulties with an MLO, or have had a cache refused by an MLO, and you want to discuss that in the forums, please start a new thread.

- - Bill, on behalf of the committee

MCL Guest

Milton Keynes Parks Trust

Last summer the rangers discovered one of my caches while doing some work in that area, and wrote a log in the logbook, posted a note on the website saying who they were and that they had found it and carefully replaced it after completing their work.

The tone of their logs suggested very strongly that they had no objection to the cache being where it was, and basically was saying "good luck with the game!". The fact that they bothered to register on the GC.COM site and post a note I took to be very encouraging.

National Trust

GAGB has been negotiating with the National Trust Headquarters following an approach from one of their people in the South East. They have agreed to allow Geocaching to continue on their property for the foreseeable future and would like cachers to follow GAGB guidelines.

We requested a national agreement but they have decided to continue to monitor Geocaching to gain experience of it and consider it's impact on their land for the moment. Therefore cachers should request placement permission with the relevant local NT warden. GAGB will remain in contact with NT HQ and therefore requests that any issues with NT cache placement are reported to the committee.

Discussions with NT have been positive throughout and GAGB hopes that cachers will observe the guidelines to ensure that this relationship can be enhanced in the future.

Dave on behalf of the committee

Denbighshire County Council & Countryside Council of Wales.

I recently contacted the countryside service of Denbighshire CC, for permission to place a cache, unfortunatly, they belive the land in question is Crown Common land, and were unable to give permission. I was advised by them to contact CCW who should be able to give the correct information, as the area is a SSSI. They seemed to have no objections to Geocaching, so hopefully anyone who wishes to place a cache on land owned by them should have no problems.

I have already got a cache in a SSSI, and had to get the permission of CCW's Mold office (countryside council of wales) who are the regulatory body for the Welsh assembly, and have legal control of all activities which take place in SSSI's in Wales (this includes all work that takes place by the landowners in SSSI's), if anyone is intending to place a cache in an area regulated by them, wishes to contact me, I will pass on contact details of the person in the Mold office who I dealt with, who should be able to put you in touch with the relevant person for that area.

Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Amesbury Town Council

We have managed to gain permission to place caches on the land owned and managed by the Amesbury Town Council in Wiltshire. It helped a lot knowing the councillors and Town Mayor. They were all very interested. We sent them a CD containing the GAGB Guidelines, the write up from the Hampshire County Council event at Farley Mount along with the excellent TV & Radio coverage taken from the Team Tate website. We also arranged a site meeting to show them how and where the cache would be placed.
    As yet we have not managed to persude any of them to come caching with us, but time will tell.

Colin & Daphne

Yorkshire Wildlife Trust

We have been granted permission for one cache on Yorkshire Wildlife Trust land, and we are in negotiation for more general permission for other YWT locations. Please contact us first if you would like to place a chace on this land.

Swindon Ranger Service / North Wiltshire District

I have been granted permission for a pilot cache on Swindon Ranger Service land, who manage a number of sites in North Wiltshire. They appear to be happy with this initial cache and I have requested a more general permission for other cachers.

Shropshire wildlife trust

Have now recieved permission for a one year trial at Quarry Wood in Shropshire.
    If this goes as planned they will then grant permission for all their other sites.
    May also be of help with other wildlife trusts.
    They have insisted on refering to CITO on the web page,
    letting the warden know the location (allready agreed)
    and encouraging responsible behaviour.
    I have also offered to organise a CITO event in the next year for them.
    Copy of email

Further to your meeting with John McGuiness in Quarry Wood, the Trust
    will permit you to undertake to use this site for geocaching for one
    year on a trial basis only, starting from 1st September 2004.

Jan Mckelvey
    Conservation Manager
    Shropshire Wildlife Trust
    Tel 01743 284280
    Fax 01743 284281

janmckelvey@shropshirewt.cix.co.uk

Our members help us protect Shropshire's wildlife - join today.
    Visit www.shropshirewildlifetrust.org.uk
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Lactodorum Guest

South East England Forestry Commission

After lengthy negotiations I have reached an agreement with The Forestry Commission, South East England District whereby for an initial trial period of 1 year, they will allow geocaching to take place in their forests. This is subject to certain conditions which are basically those already agreed with the North Wales district but with the addition that no caches will be allowed in leasehold woods, SSSI’s or SAM sites. You will realise that these conditions will have little practical restriction on cache placement as they already form part of our own guidelines.

Details of the final agreement can be seen in the Groundspeak UK forum and in the GLAD database.

During the trial period they will be assessing the impact geocaching has on the environment and forestry operations and will gain a better understanding of how it all works in practice.

This is excellent news and my thanks go to everyone who has contributed to getting this agreement. I would also like to thank the Forestry Commission people for the positive way they have worked with us and I trust the trial will prove so successful that they will be able to make the arrangement permanent.

Finally I would urge you NOT to start flooding us with caches on FC land until we have got things working smoothly!!

Wiltshire County Council

GAGB is pleased to announce that Wiltshire County Council has granted permission for the placement of caches on their property.

This is blanket approval provided that cachers follow the GAGB guidelines and WCC are kept informed of the location of those caches, which Lactodorum and Eckington have kindly agreed to do where this is indicated by the placer.

We are grateful to WCC for their assistance and positive approach throughout. We are also grateful to The Bramblers for their original introduction.

Details of the sites covered have been provided by WCC and are listed below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barton Farm Country Park is situated in Bradford on Avon between the Kennet andAvon Canal and the River Avon off the B3109. It is well furnished with seating and picnic benches and a tarmac road runs through part of the park to join the canal. This is perfect for wheelchair access. There is a mixture of interesting habitats including the woodland, river and meadows. The site is home to a medieval pack horse bridge (a scheduled ancient monument) and a Second World War pill box. Parking is available.

Wilton Windmill is located between Wilton village and Burbage. The site is jointly managed by WCC and Wilton Windmill Society. It has benches and again is easily accessible for wheelchairs. Parking is available.

Woodhenge picnic site is located next to Woodhenge Scheduled Ancient Monument and is accessible off the A345 south of Durrington. It act acts as a gateway to the surrounding countryside with access to the archaeologically important landscape around Stonehenge and Woodhenge. There is a small car park at the site with four picnic benches. [note that this is a county wildlife site and will require special permission - contact details through GAGB].

Figsbury Rings car park is located off the A30, north east of Salisbury. This provides access to the National Trust site Figsbury Rings and is located approximately three miles north of Salisbury. Figsbury Rings is an Iron Age hillfort and is designated for its chalk downland flora. It also has excellent views across Wiltshire.

Bratton Camp Open Space, (Westbury White Horse), is accessible from the B3098 via a tarmac bridleway. It is located on top of a chalk grassland ridge between Westbury and Bratton. The ridge forms part of the northern boundary of Salisbury plain. The site adjoins the Bratton Camp and Westbury White Horse, both managed by English Heritage. There is ample parking and outstanding views.

White Horse viewing area is on the B3098 between Wesbury and Bratton. This small site provides safe parking and excellent views of the white horse from below and is just outside Westbury.

Smallgrain picnic area is situated between Calne and Devizes on the south-west side of the Bishops Canning to Calne Road. It is the site of a former scrap dealer's yard. It is now a picturesque setting and a gateway to the surrounding countryside(including access to Morgan's Hill) with ample parking and several picnic benches.
    [note that this is a county wildlife site and will require special permission - contact details through GAGB].

Urchfont picnic site is located directly south of Urchfont, and is accessed from the B3098 at Foxley Corner, drive up to the Ridgeway track and turn left at the top in the direction of Urchfont. There is nearby parking and the site has spectacular views across Wiltshire.

--------------------

Hampshire County Council

The Hampshire County Council was the first major landowner to grant permission for geocaching on their land in mid-2003, and the first to hold an event to promote geocaching following negotiations by THE BRAMBLERS.

There are several useful resources on geocaching in Hampshire on this website which could also act as a guide for any other major organisations considering geocaching.

Lactodorum Guest

Cheshire County Council

I'm pleased to report that Cheshire County Council have agreed to allow Geocaching on their land (subject to prior notification by Eckington or myself). Further details can be seen here.

Warwickshire County Council - Countryside Parks

Thanks to Warwickshire County Council who have authorised caches in their country parks. This mail summarises the agreement. Note that this is for ONE cache at each park, contact in advance to Sally Silk as below with a map or other detailed location details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy to give permission for a cache to be located at each of our country parks, provided your guidelines are adhered to and that I am notified, in advance, of the location of the cache being "hidden". In that way, if there are any probelms with the chosen spot, we can agree somewhere else beforehand.

I would expect that the contents are monitored to ensure nothing untoward is hidden and it probably goes without saying that we would not want any drugs or anything sharp/dangerous put into the caches.

Sally Silk
    Country Parks Visitor Manager
    Countryside Recreation
    Tel: 01827 872660; Fax: 01827 875161
    sallysilk@warwickshire.gov.uk

Visit our website at www.warwickshire.gov.uk/countryside for more information about country parks and public rights of way in Warwickshire

The Woodland Trust

The The Woodland Trust give tacit permision, but leave it to the local Forester to say "yes" or "no". Have a look at their web site for the location of forrests owned by them.
    Dave
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

New Forest - Forestry Commission

The GAGB is delighted to announce permission to place geocaches in the New Forest. After negotiations just short of a full year, the New Forest Forestry Commission has agreed an annual permission which will allow up to 100 physical caches within the New Forest boundaries.

A number of common sense rules must be applied to any cache placed in the New Forest. In general, these rules are the usual GAGB guidelines and New Forest by-laws. In addition, caches must be Tupperware and a maximum of 3L in size.

In addition, the cache placer must accept the terms of the agreement and each cache page must link to the full agreement on the GAGB website with a statement of the nature:
    “This cache is located within the New Forest. The rules specified here http://www.gagb.org.uk/glad/agreement_view.php?p=1 must be applied by any cacher hunting this cache and by hunting this cache you have accepted these conditions. These rules have been applied in the placement of this cache and the cache owner remains responsible for the cache as specified”.

This permission was achieved after working through a number of difficult issues, some related to the particularly sensitive nature of the New Forest area, and some which required the development of mutual understanding. We are pleased to say that this process yielded not only the permission but a good mutual understanding and trust.

The terms of the Agreement have taken considerable work by all parties and we recognise that they may not be to everyone’s liking. However, these were the best solution to the issues raised and must be applied if you wish to go caching in the New Forest. It is essential that these rules are applied to ensure annual renewal of the permission and we request the cooperation of all cachers to achieve this.

In order to celebrate the New Forest permission, GAGB has placed the first cache in the New Forest with formal permission. This will go live shortly.

Through the efforts of Teasel, GAGB now has an Agreements Database which will be used to record agreements and which also tracks the numbers of caches within specified boundaries. This can be found here http://www.gagb.org.uk/glad/ Well done, Ian, cool programming!

Thanks to the entire committee, Lactodorum and Eckington for discussions which developed the ideas in this agreement and in particular to Sarah Tate for supporting face to face meetings.