Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: A Begging Bowl thread

Simply Paul Guest

Default A Begging Bowl thread

Readers of my geocaching.com profile will already know I'm running up the 920 steps of Tower 42 (formerly the NatWest Tower and until the 90s Britain's tallest building at 600ft/183m) for Shelter on March the 3rd. I've already paid £35 to take part in the charity's third 'Vertical Rush' event but if I fail to raise an extra £150 for them, I have to make up the difference myself

Any help kind fellow geocachers can give me, via my Just Giving page at http://www.justgiving.com/verticalrushing would be massively appreciated. After the climb and some walk-by caching to stretch my legs out I'll be relaxing in a near-by pub for a Cache Event: GC2NKX9 - Recovery Meet in Tower 42's Shadow. If you happen to be in town it'd be great to see you there. With or without any spare change :cheers:

Simply Paul Guest

A late bump for this as it's on in a few hours. 6pm on Thursday the 3rd of March in the city, just up the road from the Royal Exchange (Bank station) and the Gherkin. Come along and look at the man who planned to climb 920 steps - 42 floors - in under 7 minutes (6 floors per min, 1 floor every 10 seconds, 1 flight of steps every 5 seconds... Over and over again!) - Success TBC! opcorn:

Simply Paul Guest

Thumbs up

The vast support for my Vertical Rush race up Tower 42's 920 steps for Shelter has come from geocachers. Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's amazing and humbling to be on the receiving end of such kindness, on Shelter's behalf.

I've updated my JustGiving.com event page with a selection of photos and a little look at the event from my point of view - from the bottom looking up and from the top looking down! The same photos are also on my log for my event to recover around the corner afterwards, in the Counting House pub about 600ft from the tower; the same distance as it is tall.

Thank you again, kind cachers, for your support. Knowing on the morning of the event that I'd hit my target helped me hit my 7 minute target for the climb. By 1.3 seconds. By my watch I did it in 6:58.7 and my official time was 6:58, putting me 142nd of 882 runners and the 140th man home. Beaten by two women? Who am I, Max Mosley?

Well done.

Simply Paul Guest

Cheers Boltonian, and again, sincere thanks to everyone who reached deep for a good cause; I'm glad I inspired you, as you inspired me to push on even as I was panting like a dog in a hot car and the legs were getting very heavy, around floor 32, with 10 left to go...

My second challenge for 2011 will be my first Half Marathon, the world's largest. The Great North Run is on September the 18th and I'll be trying to run the 13.1miles/21.1Km in under two hours for The British Heart Foundation, along side 56,000 other runners. You can read more about it here! - Cheers again for everyone's support. I do find it very moving that strangers who only know me through caching have been so damn wonderful :socool:

Smile

Will be a while before I am well enough to do something like that.
    A well worthy cause.

Gets my vote.:socool: