Thanks Thanks:  3

Thread: Walking boots

Default Walking boots

Hello everybody! We have found caching recently to be very soggy due to the amount of snow/rainfall. We both have mid range priced leather walking boots that we regularly coat in Dubbin. However, this is not always very sucessful at keeping our socks dry So, we were wondering what other cachers use to keep their boots waterproof and indeed what the benefits are of having walking boots that have to be waterproofed regularly Both of us have ordinary leather footwear that does not require waterproofing, so why aren't walking boots waterproof? :
    Lang may yer lum reek. :cheers:

We used to use puttees in the Army.
    Go to your local army and navy and ask them.

Pop into an outdoor shop and buy some gaiters, something like THESE
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 22nd January 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Gaiters

Not working....
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 23rd January 2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added link for poster

I agree with the others, Gaiters is what you need.

If you can afford it buy Brasher boots (quite expensive £100+) but they are waterproof ! Walking gaiters from any outdoor store (Millets etc) will stop legs getting muddy. If very wet, we use good wellies from the muck boot company
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Thank you for all your comments. We'll go and get some gaiters and look forward to the summer! Let's hope it's a good hot one to dry up all this mud! :lol:

My walking boots are Meindl and are waterproof and I just stomp through puddles/mud etc and have never got wet feet. However, the majority of times I wear ankle gaiters (summer & winter whether wet or dry) with them.

In the summer they are great for preventing those beastly ticks from running up your trousers

The ones I have are the paramo short gaiters ... and have had them for years. (although, I have the navy ones, which they have discontinued)
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Yep, Brashers (and Meindls) with Goretex lining.
    Never had wet feet in a couple of thousand miles walking since I started using them. The Brasher Supalites are leather, but lighter than the usual fabric boots/shoes and totally waterproof. In my opinion, perfect for walking in the British countryside.
    If conditions are really bad, Goretex gaiters are the solution (in addition to the waterproof boots).
    Last edited by Happy Humphrey; 24th January 2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add link

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Yep, Brashers (and Meindls) with Goretex lining.
    I've only ever once had wet feet with my Brashers, that was the time I fell into a deep puddle (above my belt when I was sitting in it) and the water wouldn't leak out. :wacko:

Never had wet feet with my leather Regatta boots, never had to waterproof them. Usually just brush the mud off and finish off with a baby wipe.

But this time of year if I'm venturing into muddy fields I tend to put my wellies on, or the new boots I got from Cotton Traders which are like a welly at the bottom with fleecy lined imitation suede legs. Toasty and dry - but my socks go to sleep if I walk more than a mile or so in them.

Gaiters won't stop your boots from leaking; they protect your lower leg. They are great for walking through heather or across rough moorland, though.
    Back to boots... I bought a new pair Lowa Renegade boots in Austria last time I was there. Gortex lined, very light and comfortable but I expect that they will eventually start to let water in as they wear. I always carry a spare pair of thin walking socks and a pair of Gortex boot liners in my rucksack. If my boots let in enough water to be uncomfortable as they have done when I've had to get across streams from time to time, then I can dry my feet, slip on the dry socks and boot liners and carry on with perfectly dry feet.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Thanks for all your replies. We're waiting for the Millets & Blacks discount card organised by Dave and will probably get the Brasher boots that have been recommended on here. Roll on some nice warm, dry weather

gaxmy Guest

I had problems getting my feet wet at the beginning of the winter as my fabric boots were just not up to the job. After reading various forums I decided to buy a pair of Muck Boots. They've been great for geocaching. However muddy and wet it gets I just walk straight through with no problems at all. They are also great for slipping on and off when I need to drive between caches. Last month I did a 4 mile circular. The boots were still comfortable at the end of the walk.

I went for the Muck Boots Tay version. There is a Tay Sport too which is meant to keep your feet warmer but for UK conditions I find the Tay is fine in combination with a pair of walking socks.

pshax Guest

Cant beat my Raichle Goretex lined hiking boots.. Had them for over 2 years, walked "millions of miles" in them, and have never wet or sweaty feet.. Def the best £100 I have ever spent on footwear..

Paul.