Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Any issues buying GPS from US?

Default Any issues buying GPS from US?

Hi all

New to geocaching/GPS and like everyone else looking for a bit of info.

I am pretty set on buying the magellan explorist gc but with current exchange rates I'm thinkning of getting it from America (should be about 1/3 cheaper with shipping).

Are there any issue in doing so?

I realise the charger will have the wrong sort of plug but a assume I could just get a UK lead/plug over here - must check that - haven't yet!!!

The guts of the query is am I likley to have any isues GPSwise with it being a US unit?

Thanks for reading - all thoughts appreciated. (just not regarding my spelling!!

:cheers:

Mr Gaggle

My main concern would be with any warrantee issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaggle View Post
    The guts of the query is am I likley to have any isues GPSwise with it being a US unit?
    No problem there, the GPS' are all 'world wide', so they'll work anywhere on earth.

The only problems you're likely to have are those which you'd have with any equipment, i.e. perhaps getting landed with unexpected customs charges, incompatible charger (if it comes with a charger, most don't as they usually use standard batteries), and possible warranty problems if something goes wrong.

BTW I bought my first GPS (~6 years ago) from the US via Fleabay.

Edit to add: Just seen your welcome message where you say you're thinking of getting a Magellan Explorist GC, it looks like it takes 2xAA batteries so I'd be surprised if there was any sort of charger with it. If there are any other cables (Serial or USB) then I'd expect them to be standard worldwide, but I've never seen a Magellan so you'll want to confirm that to be 100% sure.
    Last edited by martybartfast; 21st February 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martybartfast View Post
    No problem there, the GPS' are all 'world wide', so they'll work anywhere on earth.

The only problems you're likely to have are those which you'd have with any equipment, i.e. perhaps getting landed with unexpected customs charges, incompatible charger (if it comes with a charger, most don't as they usually use standard batteries), and possible warranty problems if something goes wrong.
    >snipped<
    Customs charges, whoever deliver may also charge for collecting the customs charge, and the 'Base map' will be the US... But if you buy UK mapping that's not/shouldn't be a problem.

(FREE! UK mapping can be found in TalkyToasters link in the UK section of Groundspeaks forum. https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...owtopic=216453 -check if they work with the unit!)
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

thanks for the advice - I think for simplicity I'll buy it over here....now just to convince Mrs Gaggle

:cheers:

I've just had a quick look at the Customs Duty rate for a GPS (The commodity code I used was 8526912090, don't shoot me if I've got the wrong code as it's been some years since I regularly looked these up) and it stands at 3.7% from Third Countries. Should you import a unity from the USA you'd have to pay both the Duty and the VAT on the item (NB the VAT is calculated after the duty has been added onto the value of the product).
    Example a £300 unit would attract £11.10 duty (300 x 3.7%)
    and £62.22 VAT ((£300 + £11.10) x 20%)
    Total payable on import = £73.32

I hope that helps...............

And don't forget that duty and vat is payable on the carriage charge as well

Handling fee varies from around £8 with Royal Mail, upto £25 with UPS.
    Paved Roads: Another fine example of unnecessary Government spending!

musketeer Guest

yeah i would just buy it in the UK, what you would save in money buying from the US, would cost you easily more in hassle. thats what i reckon anyway.

I looked at buying from abroad when looking to get our Dakota, ended up finding a place in Peterborough (cant remember the name) that did really good prices so bought from there instead.