Thanks Thanks:  9

Thread: Awarding of the UK Mega Event Account for 2012

Exclamation Awarding of the UK Mega Event Account for 2012

For those not aware of it, the first Mega Event to take place in the UK, took place in Harrogate North Yorkshire on the 3rd of August 2008. The Event was listed under UK Mega Event Committee
    as a legacy account for future Repeating Annual UK Mega Events. This account has been the parent account for the 2nd UK Mega event Weston super mare August 9th 2009, 3rd UK Mega event Perth Scotland 31st July 2010. And is the parent account for 4th UK Mega Event Swansea Wales 31st July 2011.

It has been the responsibility of each years Holding Committee, to hand the Parent Account over to next years Holding Account. The 2011 Holding Committee Swansea Wales, found themselves in a situation which no previous committee had found its self in, in that 2 Mega Organising Committee's requested the Parent Account for 2012.

After discussions, a one off Ad Hoc Committee formed of Committee Members from the Harrogate/Weston/Perth/Swansea Committee Members. The two requesting committee's where invited to each submit a Tender Document. These where reviewed by the Ad Hoc Committee, before a confidential Vote was taken, to decide which requesting Committee was awarded the Parent Account for 2012.

I can now officially announce that that by a majority Vote, the UK Mega Event Committee Account was awarded to the North West England Mega Committee. Who will be hosting the Annual Repeating UK Mega Event held under the Parent UK Mega Committee Account on 11th August 2012.

My congratulations to the winner, and my sincere commiserations to the losing requesting Mega Committee

Deceangi
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Thumbs up

Well done to the North West Mega Committee ...... See You all there !!!

Good news!
    Quit, don't quit? Noodles, don't noodles?

Simply Paul Guest

Humbug :P

The Geolympix team will be pushing ahead with our exciting plans, which will be made public at the Welsh Mega in July. It's a shame to have missed out on the imagined 'official' recognition of the Golden Ammo Can but hopefully the scale and status of the international Geolympix event will more than make up for the low profile approach which has thus-far been taken to avoid stepping on the toes of either the Scottish or Welsh contingents.

On behalf of the six-strong-and-growing Geolympix team, I'd like to congratulate the NW 2012 Mega committee on their successful pitch for the historic Mega Committee Account and wish them an equally successful event.

Thanks too to Dave/Deceangi for overseeing what I'm sure was a very fairly represented consoltation and voting programme. I can only think our lack of confirmed venue counted heavily against the Geolympix, but as I hope will become clear in the following weeks and months, there is/was a reason for this...

First of all, a big thank you to Deci for organising this vote - this was not the responsibility of the UK reviewers, but Dave still volunteered to set up the Ad Hoc committee on top of all of his other responsibilities. Once again you have given up your time for the UK Geocaching Community, so on behalf of everyone: "Cheers".

Secondly, thanks to everyone on the previous Mega committees who voted to select our tender as the successor to Mega Wales. We are honoured to have been chosen, and will make sure that we repay the faith that has been shown in us by organising a fantastic Mega Event for you all to enjoy.

Finally, my commiserations to the Geolympix committee, however I'm confident that you can organise a successful and well attended Mega without the "UK Mega Event Committee" account, and wish you the best of luck in your preparations for the event.

Now we can all look forward to Mega Wales in a few months time. I hope to see you there.

Simply Paul Guest

The Geolympix team have received an email from Bryan at Groundspeak, who'd like to talk about the 'International Celebration of Gecaching' 'Mega Mega' annual globally roving event concept which we originally pitched in September 2010. We'll keep the community informed as to developments, naturally.
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 26th May 2011 at 06:33 PM.

Just to keep everyone informed, I have today received the excellent news that Groundspeak have confirmed our Mega status for 2012!

We will be organising an event in Cheshire in early August at which one lucky person will get to push the button which publishes the 2012 UK Mega Event. More details to follow shortly

Well done - great news (and a one less thing to worry about)
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)