Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Omally's epic.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Omally is currently in the process of riding 4000+ miles around the coast of
    Britain visiting all of the lifeboat stations to raise money for the RNLI.

Details of the route and times can be found at www.epicduo.org.uk

He started on Saturday 14th and ends in Portsmouth on the 27th June.

Hope that some of us can find a way of suppoting him somewhere along the way.

I wonder if there are many of us who could rally together and welcome him home in Portsmouth !

This info came from Merman, is there any way you can keep us informed of his progress and ETA in Portsmouth ?
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

It&#39;s a shame, but I&#39;ll be sleeping between 2 adjacent night shifts, so probably won&#39;t be able to make it.

Hope O&#39;Mally is doing a few caches around the coast on the way.
    One day my sigline will stop changing.
    Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!".

marinor Guest

we are going to try and catch them at Cullercoats on 24th

SimonG Guest

The diary has now been updated with pictures from the first two days.

Paul G0TLG Guest

Well, I&#39;m supposed to be doing a treasure hunt that night...

But...

My team mate is going on holiday

So count me in to the "Welcome back Omalley" team&#33;

Paul
    (Who ran the London and New York marathons [maratha???] in 1984 for the RNLI)
    (When he wasn&#39;t so old or fat) B)

Oh bother - or something similar&#33; I had wanted to catch up with you at Lytham or Fleetwood and got the day wrong. Good luck though on the enterprise - contribution form downloaded and will soon be in post with cheque.
    Enjoy your caching!

Naefearjustbeer Guest

Hmm Interesting challenge. I might try to catch them in thurso if they are running on schedule I might just make it. I know someone who did something similar on an even older bike

http://www.scotland-index.co.uk/hector/index.htm

Paul G0TLG Guest

So who plans to be there to welcome them back? And more importantly...can anyone post the location of Pompey lifeboat station? Is it the one near the hovercraft terminal?

Paul

Hi Paul, We are going to try to get there, but much depends upon the workload which comes in this morning. Friday is our busiest day.

&#39;Fraid I don&#39;t know where the lifeboat station is, but if I find out, I will post it here, perhaps if you could do the same.
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Paul G0TLG Guest

Well no guarantees but the place I&#39;m aiming for is :
    50:46.74N
    1:05.00W

It&#39;s an inshore rescue boat station but my contact who lives nearby says it&#39;s the only lifeboat in Portsmouth.

See Multimap Page for where it is.

Maybe see you there...

Paul

Found a phone number for the lifeboat station 02392 814811 but got no answer. :angry:

So,

We did a search on Google and we found an address of Ferry Road, Eastney.

The page on the EpicDuo website here shows the point being on the end of the promontory into Langstone Harbour along which Ferry Road passes.

The link from th EpicDuo website here says
    Portsmouth lifeboat station has gone through two names changes, being known as Eastney when it was first established in 1965, and then changing its name to Portsmouth (Langstone Harbour).
    As Ferry Road is in Eastney, which is ajacent to Langstone Harbour, we&#39;re putting our money on that one.

Here are the coordinates for the end of Ferry Road :
    N50 47.767 W1 01.819

The regional office is going to call back to confirm, maybe.

Update 12:50pm

Just got a phone call back from the RNLI regional office.

The info above about Ferry Road is accurate and the Duo are expected between 5:00 and 6:00 pm.

The lady at the RNLI has been trying to get some press along, but without success. Anybody out there able to help ?

We are trying to get there, and at the moment it looks like we are in with a good chance.

Well we did get there to greet Omally and welcome him home.

There was a group of wellwishers there too including Paul G0TLG.

Well done Omally&#33; Did I hear somebody mention something about a lap of honour ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Omally Guest

Lap of honour? you must be madder than me&#33;
    Thanks for the warm reception guys&#33; Totally unexpected and hugely appreciated&#33;

Tell you what, we had problems finding some of the lifeboat stations and had to do a bit of scrabbling &#39;round in the metaphorical undergrowth to find them.
    The GPS we used would get us so close then a bit of manual searching was required: looks like I spent 2 weeks geocaching then&#33; Dear oh dear, is that sad or what?&#33;

SimonG Guest

You mean you didn&#39;t decrypt the clues?