Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: A new Begging Bowl thread - Great North Run, Sept 18th

Simply Paul Guest

Thumbs up A new Begging Bowl thread - Great North Run, Sept 18th

Following on from the 'Vertical Rush' race up Tower42 earlier this month, for which 'cachers were instrumental in helping me smash my £150 target for Shelter and getting me across the line a mere 1.3 seconds ahead of my 7 minute target, I've been on the lookout for a new challenge to keep me motivated at the gym...

Readers of my geocaching.com profile will already know I've just learned I've been accepted at the last minute to run 13.1miles/21.1Km for The British Heart Foundation on September the 18th. The televised Great North Run is the world's biggest Half Marathon and I'll be joined by 55,999 other runners (if the website is to be btaken literally) to run between Newcastle to South Shields. I lost my father to a heart attack in 2005, at the too-young age of 64, making The British Heart Foundation a charity close to my... heart.

I've paid £30 to take part but if I fail to hit the £500 minimum target, I'll have to make up the difference myself(!) so I'm going to be fundraising just as hard as I'll be training. To 'keep things interesting' I'm setting myself the target of completing the course in under 2 hours; a bit under 7mph for 120 minutes...

Any help kind fellow geocachers can give me to keep, via my Just Giving page at www.justgiving.com/HawayTheLad, would be massively appreciated, as it has been for past fundraising races I've taken part in; The Three Peaks Challenge in 2009, Sports Relief 6 Miles and 48.1mile Round Jersey run/walk/hobble in 2010 and the Vertical Rush event this year, as above.

After the run and some walk-by caching to stretch my legs out I hope to be relaxing in a near-by pub for a Cache Event: GC-TBC After The Pain! - I'll add a link when I'm able. If you happen to be in or around Newcastle, Gateshead or South Shields on Sept 18th, it'd be great to see you there. With or without any spare change
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 15th March 2011 at 05:27 PM.

If you've not already got one, can I recommend the Forerunner 305 (currently going for about £90 - £100 on ebay). The settings make it easy for you to see if you're keeping to an average pace of 9 mins 5 secs per mile which will take you to 1 hr 59 mins......

Shame I can't put a photo of my left big toe on here, minus half the nail - courtesy of the Bath and Eton half marathons over the last few weeks. When I lose the rest of the nail, I might make it into a travel bug.

PS - & it comes with a heart rate monitor.
    Last edited by Nick&Ali; 16th March 2011 at 01:02 AM. Reason: HR monitor

Simply Paul Guest

Cheers Nick &/or Ali! I think the GNR has mile markers, and I have a stopwatch (9min miles would've been the target, to build up a small buffer) - However! I've been upgraded from this race to The Edinburgh Marathon, being held on Sunday May the 22nd, thanks to a bit of a mix up over my London Marathon entry by The British Heart Foundation. So, any advice for the full 26 miles? I'm aiming for 10min miles, to build a buffer. I want to come home in under 4.5h - Hopefully! That will be good going for my 1st Marathon, on only 40 days notice. Any encouragement/warnings about lost toenails (Please make it into a TB, but can it be 'sealed' away in something to keep things hygienic?) on the thread linked above please.

So, good people, please don't use the HawayTheLad link above. The active page is http://www.justgiving.com/ShortNotice

The best advice I can give is to quickly marry someone who is a PTI and then they can drag you round if needs be!

Alternatively - don't go off too quickly as I did last year in my first one. I did the first half in 2'03" and then the second half felt horrific - no spectators, only 400 entrants, so was running alone most of the time, 7 miles along a concrete seawall into the wind........ended up doing 4'40". I promised myself at the time that I would never run another, but then I didn't want people to think I did it in fancy dress and so entered France and Edinburgh to lower my PB. France at the weekend was far too hot and it was Ali's first full marathon. She literally dragged me round the last 10 miles, as I STUPIDLY relaxed off the training weeks ago. We did 5 hours, but nearly 1000 of the 32k entrants didn't finish at all. I know I can do sub 4.30 as my best half marathon time in below 2 hours. There's loads I could say, but it's my opinion rather than expertise...:

Nick

PS - the toenail is now gone completely and was a b