Thanks Thanks:  3

Thread: Tick Awareness

RuberyBlue Guest

Default Tick Awareness

My annual email to be careful out there. Spring is here its getting warmer....

Don't panic but be 'Tick Aware'!

If you are involved in outdoor activities which take you into the countryside or parks and gardens with lots of wildlife (such as squirrels, hedgehogs and deer), you may be at risk of tick bites. Ticks can carry a number of infective organisms which can sometimes make people and pets ill if they get bitten. Simple precautions can help to keep you safe.

RB

I took a tick off my ankle about 15 years-ish ago. I've got it in a magnifying box. His name is Mick.

Despite walking pretty much the length of England (and quite a bit of Scotland) over the last twenty years (hundreds of miles of moorland and pasture), I've never seen a tick (cue massive tick bites all over legs for the next six months!).
    I heard speculation that ticks were getting more numerous due to the mild winters we've been getting. I wonder if the very cold winters we've just endured will cut tick numbers back down again?

Mr t.a. already had his first attached tic of this year .

If you think you only get them on your legs ,think again ,they especially like bits and places you can't reach yourself ..so we have found .:lol:
    We like Greens

I recently hiked some of the west coast of Jura (GCX7K6 and GCX0AW ) covering 25 miles over a day and a half (I know not a great pace but it was tough hiking over tussocky, trackless ground). I picked up a tick for the first time ever. I seem to remember seeing a neat little tool for removing them advertised somewhere but I don't have one. I managed to remove it using my Leatherman.

Fantasyraider Guest

I seem to remember seeing a neat little tool for removing them advertised somewhere but I don't have one. I managed to remove it using my Leatherman.

You can get these from any big pet store, I paid £4.50 for one but have never had used it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasyraider View Post

You can get these from any big pet store, I paid £4.50 for one but have never had used it yet.
    Just for info, these "little green chip forks" are sold under the name of "Tom O Tick".
    They can be bought at any good pet shop, or via most Vet Surgeries.

At most times of the year, I need to use one of these very cheap and extremely effective devices.
    Strange to say, I have never picked up a tick (in this country), but my dog manages to acquire anything up to 3 or 4 of the little blighters in a day.
    Try not to let your mind wander...........
    It's too small and fragile to be out by itself

ROSE-&-THISTLE Guest

Thumbs up tick remover tool.

You can purchase a tick remover tool from most hiking shops for around £1.50, or an alternative method is to find a Jackie C cache, sometimes she places these tools in here caches. We found one on Arran two years ago, this was a god send then and still using today.
    We have also used two credit cards, these work well in removeing the whole tick from your person.