Thanks Thanks:  5

Thread: Coin Pirates in Portsmouth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bever.vw Guest

Default Coin Pirates in Portsmouth

Last year we placed during our visit to the UK a coin in a cache in the south. It travelled around but was lost after it was dropped on the 17th of june 2010 in Portsmouth int. TB Hotel. After some time we got a message from the CO that our coin was missed. On the 24th of april 2011 we got a strange grabbed message from team 'Pirates of Penzance' who found the coin. After that nothing happened.
    I looked on the site of this team and found out that they were on the 20th of june by the TB hotel. I also found out that they are handling always in this way. Until now 24 coins are registrated on there name. They take a coin, don't registrate it and wait many many months until it is missed for a long time and than grabbed it. All the 24 coins are still in there hands.
    Does anybody know who this guys, operating in the area of Portsmouth, are. Perhaps can somebody talk with them and ask them to replace the coins. They are not reacting on my email. Thanks for any help. Greetings, team Bever.vw, The Netherlands

I have been looking at this for you. I have contacted the cache owner to see if they know anything.

It seems that the Pirates Of Penzance regularly cache with two others:~

coolkez, not a premium member with 64 finds and

the borgs, these are premium members with 263 finds. It may be worth you contacting them especially to explain what it happening and to see if they can throw any light on who the pirates are and ask them to move coins on. Although you probably wouldn't get very far you could also mention that your coin is personal property and the fact that it is being kept amounts to theft.

After reading some of the logs on the coins that they have in their hands, they make it pretty clear that they have every intention of keeping the coins. I also noticed that they don't pick TB's up.

Hope this is of some help to you.
    Last edited by Jacaru; 27th June 2011 at 04:43 AM. Reason: added some wording

Just looked a little further and these are regular comments from the Pirates of Penzance.

pirates of penzance grabbed it oooaaarrrr only place this is visiting is me treasure chest oooooaaaaarrrr

I have now contacted all 24 coin owners giving them the same information regarding their caching buddies. Hopefully something will start happening and coins will move.

Default I'm a victim too

I am one of the 24 coin owners who got the Pirates message and who has kept my coin. I also received no response to my 'polite' email.

This was my first Geocoin and it has made me reluctant to release any more. This guy needs to be stopped as he is spoiling the experience and giving honest geocachers a bad name.

What is is problem? He isn't just a common thief he seems to enjoy bragging about it. He's also a coward for not responding to emails and just a really bad person. I think everyone in the Portsmouth area should be very wary of him and if you know him, please pass on to him the bad name he is getting.

I do fear though that even these blogs may be the notoriarty he is aiming for in some perverse way so we may be feeding his enjoyment.

Anyone got any practical suggestions to get him to release our coins??

JellyBeanJan

Re

It seems that the Pirates Of Penzance regularly cache with two others
    Could it be that PoP is a sock puppet account for one of those other accounts? that (s)he uses just for grabbing coins?

They have one trackable of their own and have the cheek to have this as it's goal:
    to return to the pirates of penzance. at all costs.
    Shame they can't have the decency to do the same.