Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: must-have caches in London

BeVeMa Guest

Default must-have caches in London

Dear cachers,
    in August I eventually visit London with my 11-year-old daughter. Beside enjoying its great atmosphere, I'd also like to grab some nice caches in the City. We have 2 full and 2 half days for sightseeing and geoaching.

So what are the must-have-seen caches within easy distance in London?

For other esp. German cities there were tourist-bookmarklists available, but 'til now I haven't foudn one for London.
    The only reference was to the Sherlock Holmes series, which seems to be an bunch of very recommended multis.

The Geocache Tourist seems also to be a great idea and opportunity for gaining interesting suggestions.

It's just a pity that until now nothing concerning the London area itself has been posted there.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Martin (Vienna)

p.s.: this is going to be my 4th visit, after two in the 70's as a teen and one short 2 day-visit in 88' when returning from Scotland

p.p.s. and thanks to the prevention of letting me NOT post a link to the Tourist, it has taken me 5 tries to post this thread, as there is no chance to return to the previous page

Sorry for the lack of a reply BeVeMa.
    Seems most of the GB caches hereabouts wear cloth caps, or don breeches.
    As a London town cacher, I would advise you to stay close to the River Thames.
    Makes for good walking, with great sights along the way.
    And if you want friendly company on a Sunday, I could volunteer my services.
    Otherwise enjoy your trip and cache long and prosper. Guv.

Quote Originally Posted by currykev View Post
    I replied to the thread on the frog site, so didn't see any point duplicating my post.

BeVeMa Guest

Thanks for the replies so far, and I'm looking forward to our visit.

Is it too early for any weather forecasts for London in August?

Concerning the non-double-posts with the frog-group, I completely agree.

p.s.: concerning the no-show of my initial posting, now I have a double posting and want to get rid of it.

BeVeMa Guest

Weeeelll....

Our departure gets closer and closer, just one more day at work.
    The recent riots haven't let us shy away, just reduced our area to visit to the central districts. And made the look for the last train back to our hotel at Heathrow an unneeded task, as I'd rather be on the safe side and hop the first train at dusk, just as recommended when dealing with vampires .

I'm quite amazed that Greenwich is that close from Tower Bridge when using a Water Taxi, in my memories it took us ages to get there...

Regards, Martin

Quote Originally Posted by BeVeMa View Post
    Weeeelll....

The recent riots haven't let us shy away, just reduced our area to visit to the central districts.

I'm quite amazed that Greenwich is that close from Tower Bridge when using a Water Taxi, in my memories it took us ages to get there...
    Dont let the riots worry you, they've calmed down a lot now, and they're not really in areas that a tourist would visit anyway, and even if you did go near those areas the rioters were more interested in stealing from shops than attacking innocent bystanders; just use common sense and you'll have nothing to worry about.

As for the journey from Tower Bridge to Greenwich, when those riverboats open up their throttle they travel surprisingly fast, and it's a nice trip along the river.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by currykev View Post
    Seems most of the GB caches hereabouts wear cloth caps, or don breeches.
    As a London town cacher, I would advise you to stay close to the River Thames.
    Makes for good walking, with great sights along the way.
    And if you want friendly company on a Sunday, I could volunteer my services.
    Otherwise enjoy your trip and cache long and prosper. Guv.

Comments such as the one above don't belong on this forum.

ONe that I haven't done yet but gets some good logs is this one http://coord.info/GC2GNE7

Enjoy your visit.

I thought the cloth cap comment was pretty funny!!

P.S. I was planning on doing a very good looking multi in the natural history musem this week but kids got a bit tired.

It looked fun though:

GC1NZWR