Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Death toll for c:geo...... :(

Default Death toll for c:geo...... :(

After reading the following:

http://post.carnero.cc/cgeo

it seem c:geo's days are comming to an end. I for one really liked the app, it worked, was really stable and was/is free!!!!

I used it in conjunction, or when I was without, with my GPSr (magellen explorist GC) and it will be a big loss.

So to a question:

What other apps are any good (I've not bought the offical one as reviews are so poor - should I bother)?

My partner bought the official app for his Android phone and I have to say we haven't been able to fault it so far. I wouldn't go far as to say that I would place a cache using it, BUT it has been pretty accurate using it alongside the Oregon for locating caches....so far.

As an Android app, the official one is a great little app. As J has said, it's not accurate enough to hide with but is pretty accurate for finding.

There's also GeoBeagle which is free and pretty good too. Little more awkward to use than C:Geo or the official app but good nontheless.

Collin

I have the Official and C:geo, the main bug bear with the official app is the rather naff compass that they use, why cant we have a nice simple type instead of that old style one.
    I have tried Columbus but have yet to find a way to stop it displaying my own or found caches.
    Last edited by DrDick&Vick; 29th June 2011 at 08:37 PM.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jacaru View Post
    My partner bought the official app for his Android phone and I have to say we haven't been able to fault it so far. I wouldn't go far as to say that I would place a cache using it, BUT it has been pretty accurate using it alongside the Oregon for locating caches....so far.
    Isn't the accuracy of any of the apps going to rely on your phones GPS chip rather than the app itself? All the app is doing is relaying the position your phone thinks it's at to you via a bit of software......!

On any given phone, one app will be as accurate as any other. What changes between apps is the way in which that info is displayed to you, what you can do with the position data, how it displays a cache database, etc

Exclamation

Can I just present the other side of the story for completeness, as the c:geo blog is slight omitting facts.

Reply by Jeremy on FB the author was offered access to the Developers API to insure that c:geo did meet Groundspeak's TOU. Developers also offered access to the API, included Clyde the owner of GSAK. so Groundspeak were not blocking the program in anyway.

Deci

for those who will not use FB

Erik James Hulseposted toJeremy Irish
    Jeremy, what's your take on the c:geo development? Is it true that there will be two versions of the API? Perhaps you can write an "open-letter" or something or at least contact him directly to rectify the situation. I think it would be terrible for the caching community if c:geo really does stop development, because we all know the next time yall update the website, c:geo will stop working, and that will affect hundreds of thousands of users.... Thoughts? (BTW, I am premium member, I've purchased the official geocaching app, and I also use c:geo)

26 June at 21:12
    • 2 people like this.

• Jeremy Irish I don't have enough information to have a take on c:geo development at this point, but his post is faux-naïf.

He is well aware that the application violates our site's TOU, but instead of us trying to shut down his application we reached out and offered him early access to our new API, the same version being used by our Android and WP7 applications now. We just haven't allowed our partners to use the production version until we can ensure that it is scalable.

I can only assume he is tired of programming an application he offers for free, and we're a convenient excuse, however disingenuous, for him to quit supporting it.
        Monday at 17:46
      • Erik James Hulse Thanks for responding, Jeremy. I look forward to see the improvements to the official app, but do hope that someone continues to develop c:geo with the official API.Monday at 19:17
      • Jeremy Irish Even if that application doesn't continue, there are other developers that could create their own applications, or spin that one off and make it legit. It is, after all, open source.Monday at 19:21
      • Jim Hollenback But the real question is when is the api going to be available for use?Tuesday at 00:23
      • Betsy Hagen Hey, Jeremy. Among all the tantrums that a lot of people are throwing over this app, I just wanted to say thanks. I think you're doing a great job. A lot of us think that, I guess we're just not as vocal as all the whiners

My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Always good to get both sides of the discussion

Its still a shame c:geo will likley no longer be around, whatever the reason.

I have the official android app on the phone. I find it useful for "quick" caching - When out and about with she who must be obeyed. If we go shopping somewhere, when we park up I can have a peek at the phone to see if there are "nearby caches". If any suitable I always carry the Oregon in the car so can download the co-ords from the phone and use the more accurate GPS system. The app has the clues, description and the last few logs to assist. Obviously this is for non planned caching expeditions for which I use pocket queries ! It has its drawbacks and I wouldn't hide a cache with the phone but in the main it works for me !
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Exactly how I used c:geo - I'll give the offical app a go

Cheers

Ve8 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaggle View Post
    Its still a shame c:geo will likley no longer be around, whatever the reason.
    I suspect c:geo will return in many forms, it's open source meaning anyone with the knowledge of creating Android apps can continue to maintain it in their own flavour see: https://github.com/carnero/c-geo/