Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Contacting a Cache reviewer

Default Contacting a Cache reviewer

I am thinking about placing my first cache and have an idea for a puzzle cache. However, I am not sure if it is going to breach the commercial guidelines and would value a reviewers opinion before I go to the effort of placing and registering the cache.
    Would it be possible to run the idea past a reviewer first before trying to publish it?
    Any advice welcomed

Where do you live?

Have a look at who is publishing caches in your area - that's probably the easiest way to identify your local reviewer.

Have a look at OC UK (www.opencaching.org.uk)

Then Contact Lord Darcy as we (the OC UK team) don't have that rule in our cache placement

Thanks for your help so far
    Sorry I forgot to say where I was - Horley, Surrey
    I will have a look at your suggestions.

For information I saw the Commercial Guideline on the Geocaching website under instructions for placing caches.

The reviewer for your area is The Long Man who can be contacted on TheLongManGeo@gmail.com

Thank you so much. I will contact Long Man - ironically I have been finding some of his caches this week.

You don't say which website you are thinking of listing your cache on. As Geocaching Womble said, Opencaching.org.uk don't have such a rule so there should be no trouble there. If you are thinking of Terracaching or even Opencaching.com then I don't think they have such a restriction either but you would need to check.

If you are thinking of Geocaching.com then you could well be in for some hassle so check other caches in your home area to see who published them and contact that person. Be warned that they are very strict in their interpretation of what they consider to be "commercial" and therefore banned.

Opencaching.org.uk
    Terms of Use
    4.5 Caches should not be of a solely or primarily commercial nature either in location, physical content, or website description.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    Opencaching.org.uk
    Terms of Use
    4.5 Caches should not be of a solely or primarily commercial nature either in location, physical content, or website description.
    Thanks for the clarification but this does not preclude mention of commercial organisations like Groundspeak does. Hopefully common sense will prevail in this case.

Quite agree with the sataement you made about common sense, as I agree that there are blatant commercial and then there are others that could be ok.

It may help if I explained a little more about the idea.
    It would be our first hide and I was thinking of calling it "Our Virgin Cache" or something like that.
    But the clue is the Virgin bit because I wanted to use Virgin Atlantic flight numbers to find the coordinates for the cache.
    Do you think that would be against the rules on Geocaching.com

Thanks for all your continued help
    Don't want to break any rules with my very first hide h34r:

I'm not a reviewer but I don't think that would be a problem.