Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Missing caches

Default Missing caches

I am interested in finding out if other CO's are finding their caches going missing more regularly? I've had 3 go missing recently and am trying to work out why. I believe mine are carefully concealed and have a good description which includes warnings on stealth if necessary.

I have had various thoughts and the main one I am wondering about, is that newer people to the hobby of geocaching are becoming more frequent (which is a good thing!) due to finding apps on their phones etc, but is the concept of stealth etc to protect the location of the cache understood?

I could be barking up the wrong tree completely, but I would be very interested to hear other people's opinions.

It's difficult to comment without knowing a bit more about the type of location that your caches are in (or were in!) but, yes, as geocaching has become more popular with many people just 'discovering' the game by themselves this means that sometimes they don't have all the background understanding of "best caching practice", including when to walk away and leave it because the area is too busy at the time.

Also, there have been instances of new geocachers removing caches they find - because that's how they thought the game was played!

Or it may be simply that someone local has discovered your caches and is deliberately targeting them to see what interesting bits they can find.

We have rarely had a cache go missing but ours are in a very rural area. A few times caches that we initially thought were missing have turned up 20 - 30 ft away having been replaced in the wrong spot.

Hi Elz

I agree with everything that Mrs B has said - I think it can be fair to say that caches placed in or close to urban areas are more likely to go missing or be moved & found by persons unknown than those well in the countryside.

I have a number of urban caches but am prepared to replace them as I think the areas are well worth people visiting.

Cirtainly more new cachers have been joining in the sport especially after several TV features on Geocaching.

I think caches going missing is a known part of the sport and it's really up to the cache owner to decide if perhaps the location or type of cache is best for the area that it is actually in.

Happy Caching
    Geocaching - a great way to lose yourself in a hobby. :lol:

Also the start of the school holidays, with loads of the little b****** So-an-so's with nothing to do, but get up to mischief...

Either deliberate with their phones, or by accident while playing near a cache.

Just checked where you are...
    There is history of a 'group' deliberately taking caches.
    Usually around the school holidays.

They were Northamptonshire/South Leicestershire border, but were not against traveling further.

Solution was to make the cache Premium Member Only, leave it disabled for awhile, then move it a short distance a re-enable it -still as PMO.
    Last edited by Bear and Ragged; 3rd August 2011 at 04:54 PM.
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Hi. Thanks for your thoughts, the caches were nano's placed along a disused railway running through Leicester, Glenfield and Ratby. Unfortunately they are very well hidden and would not find them by chance, but that then leads to cachers spending more time looking and a greater risk of being muggled.

I am toying with the idea to add extra hints to make the retrieval faster, but that starts to outweigh the fun of hunting for them. I know I always prefer a hunt, pitting my caching brains against the CO.

I remember the issues with someone on the border previously, but I'm sure theses type of people always post comments about us littering the land with caches, to make their point known.

I had not thought about new cachers taking the caches - that's a very good point. I have been reading about people who 'collect' geocoins as they are unaware that they should be moved on.

A lot to ponder!

Elz

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post

Solution was to make the cache Premium Member Only, leave it disabled for awhile, then move it a short distance a re-enable it -still as PMO.
    A very sensible solution but remember a lot of the phone apps will pick up the PMO caches even if the user is not a premium member. Mine Does (although I am a premium member now of course) - So I think that is something the 'frog site' needs to sort out.
    Last edited by Tek_Kaz; 6th August 2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Geocaching - a great way to lose yourself in a hobby. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Elz View Post
    I am toying with the idea to add extra hints to make the retrieval faster, but that starts to outweigh the fun of hunting for them. I know I always prefer a hunt, pitting my caching brains against the CO.
    I don't read the hint, unless it's a hard to find cache, having had a good search first, or it's in a high muggle area.
    Others read the hint as part of the cache description, before they even start to look for the cache. :

Quote Originally Posted by Elz View Post
    I remember the issues with someone on the border previously, but I'm sure theses type of people always post comments about us littering the land with caches, to make their point known.
    If they had their accounts blocked... Not logging stops the blocking.
    But I feel their urge to log is too strong not to!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas