Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Tp0629

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pyoung1s Guest

Default Tp0629

TP0629

Go get it while it's fresh!

Well done! It's always a good feeling to find one after so many DNF logs. :cheers:

ted Guest

Well done on finding this one! Would be interested to know what tools or
    particular techniques you used... I see from the photos that you had a
    long-bladed screwdriver for probing the ground; was it just a matter of
    using this with dogged persistence? hmy:

I've sometimes wondered if a metal detector would help with some
    of the more elusive surface blocks - anyone ever tried this? ... or maybe
    a JCB :

Regards
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    ... I see from the photos that you had a
    long-bladed screwdriver for probing the ground...
    I use a 10" cabinet maker's screwdriver too.

Pyoung1s Guest

Quite right Ted, the screwdriver is my dibber! However I first go in with a GPS. I use either my Oregon 550T or Dakota 20. Allowing for OS conversion and reception errors I'll investigate a reasonable area around ground zero and in the case of TP0629 the Berntsen was only 1 metre off as dibbing picked it out in no time! You'll have noticed the find was at night and I have some pretty good lights at my disposal, best of which is my Led Lenser T7.

If I've got OS diagrams I've been known to break out the tape measure. A hi-vis jacket and a cheery smile followed by a sincere thank you and I've never had a problem from a delayed motorist encountering my tape measure extended across the road!

I've got a security wand as part of my arsenal of equipment which has shown its effectiveness in the past. That reminds me I must get it back from my son who borrowed it to check a wall prior to putting up shelves!

I use my GPS to guide me onto all my TP finds (up 'til the point when I can see it, in the case of pillars!) then with the more difficult to find TPs it's down to perseverance with a touch of luck! My success rate is improving. I guess I’m getting better at interpreting what the dibber is telling me!

ted Guest

> I've got a security wand as part of my arsenal of equipment which has shown its
    > effectiveness in the past

Thats a possibility that hadn't occurred to me. How close would you need to
    get to, say, a 1" dia bolt in a concrete block just below the ground before getting
    s signal?

FWIW my surface block kit comprises print-outs of the OS sketch, TP:UK photos/
    descriptions if available, tape measure, long-bladed screwdriver and a trowel.
    Depending on expected conditions I might also take secateurs, gardening gloves,
    sometimes a GPS although the OS sketch is usually a better starting point.