Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Cache Containers - Help???

Unhappy Cache Containers - Help???

Hello,

I have been trying to submit a new cache but having major problems with the container the cache is in. I am using a waterproof bag which doesn't allow water in unless its submerged which isn't liable to be, but the reviewer is trying everything to stop me publishing it. She keeps telling me that caches shouldn't be in a 'plastic bag', but this container isn't.

All the guidelines tell me that the container shouldn't be a polythene bag but this isn't.

Can anyone help me?
    Thanks

What material is the bag made of?

Erm She is a He

Your description states "Plastic zip bag" and that is what is causing the issue.

If you bag is made of plastic and is not just a waterproof/water resistant material. Then the Reviewer is correct of ask for it's removal.

Whilst the GAGB Guidelines might state "Polythene Bags" the UK Reviewers apply this to "All" Plastic bags. Because they cause a issue for local wildlife amongst other reasons.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Why not just get a standard box, and then you don't need to argue. Even if the bag is pretty tough and waterproof it's going to be disappointing and people will wonder whether they've actually found a cache or just a bag of remnants.

If the bag is big enough it'll serve to keep the box in good condition; although if the bag is clear it's better to just use a box (because you can cover it in camouflage). Or put the box in a camo bag to keep it safe from muggles.
    Either way, you also need to mark it as a geocache.

This place where I have put the cache is not very big and a very busy path in the middle of the village. I'm not able to find a box which is 0.5cm heigh and it is such a shame that people won't be able to come and this area of the village.

I still don't understand under why it is such a no go area. I fully support putting plastic bin/shopping bags in the wild is a bad idea because of wildlife.

I found the big A4 size on the internet, but I have used an A6
    http://www.staples.co.uk/staples-bra...tough-bag?r=se
    I have used this A4 bag for a couple of years in the rain and still is fully intact.

The plastic zip case has been marked as a geocache.

Some advice would be really helpful.

This place where I have put the cache is not very big and a very busy path in the middle of the village. I'm not able to find a box which is 0.5cm heigh and it is such a shame that people won't be able to come and this area of the village.

I still don't understand under why it is such a no go area. I fully support putting plastic bin/shopping bags in the wild is a bad idea because of wildlife.

I found the big A4 size on the internet, but I have used an A6
    I have used this A4 bag for a couple of years in the rain and still is fully intact.

The plastic zip case has been marked as a geocache.

Some advice would be really helpful.

The second time of trying to reply - lets hope it goes through this time!

I am unable to find a appropriate box because the perfect place is very small and narrow - so I can't find a box which is less 1cm tall.

The zip case is made of a waterproof shell and isn't biodegradable so it won't go mushy/smelly (unlike other caches i've found). The cache can be checked several times a week by my geocaching relatives who live in the village. I can't see how this container is causing so many problems.

I can understand why supermarket plastic bags/bin liners are bad to use as containers, but the zip case I am using is certainly different. The zip case already has 'Geocache - Contents Safe' written on it.

Staples only sell the A4 version but I have the A6 one (see link below)

Any advice would be happily received?

The second time of trying to reply - lets hope it goes through this time!

I am unable to find a appropriate box because the perfect place is very small and narrow - so I can't find a box which is less 1cm tall.

The zip case is made of a waterproof shell and isn't biodegradable so it won't go mushy/smelly (unlike other caches i've found). The cache can be checked several times a week by my geocaching relatives who live in the village. I can't see how this container is causing so many problems.

I can understand why supermarket plastic bags/bin liners are bad to use as containers, but the zip case I am using is certainly different. The zip case already has 'Geocache - Contents Safe' written on it.

Staples only sell the A4 version but I have the A6 one (see link below)

The fourth time of trying to reply - lets hope it goes through this time!

The zip case is made of a waterproof flexible shell and isn't biodegradable so it won't go mushy/smelly (unlike other caches i've found). The cache can be checked several times a week by my geocaching relatives who live in the village. I can't see how this container is causing so many problems.

Last edited by lulemurfan; 9th August 2011 at 02:54 PM.

Sounds silly but have you attached a photo of cache for the reviewer.

Live in Scotland, Work in Somerset, Cache in Wilshire. Honest look at my stats. Strange but true.

Quote Originally Posted by lulemurfan View Post
    To be honest I don't know if this will work but here is an idea.

Find a really cheap lipstick with a screw on lid. A used one will work fine. Open it up and ditch the make up using and old pair of pilers. Clean out the remains with strong detergent. The remaining container should be a cylinder the size of your finger. 1cm in height and width. Body would be about four centimetres long.

If you want to go smaller that this your into the nano category. There are lots of options here.

Hope this helps a bit and gives you ideas.

Live in Scotland, Work in Somerset, Cache in Wilshire. Honest look at my stats. Strange but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedagog View Post
    Sounds silly but have you attached a photo of cache for the reviewer.
    Nice one Pedagog!

As they say a picture speaks a thousand words.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; 9th August 2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Maybe look at one of the thinner DVD cases that are made of good plastic and then you could put your ziplock bag inside.

How about hollowing out a USB stick?