Thanks Thanks:  4

Thread: Challenges

Default Challenges

Groundspeak are attempting to ruin the whole basis of geocaching (finding stuff with a GPSr) with a lot of dross about taking photos of yourself picking your nose or hugging a dog. Please use your votes on the feedback forum to kill this nonsense.

Quite agree and voted

Well they've deleted that Feedback topic and several others criticising Challenges, which shows how much respect Groundspeak has for the people paying their wages. I've cancelled my Premium Membership, just not interested in this tripe.

Surely those nice Groundspeak people wouldn't attempt to suppress any criticism of their recent actions?

After all, they do live in the land of Free Speech.
    Try not to let your mind wander...........
    It's too small and fragile to be out by itself

Groundspeak forcibly archived locationless caches and placed a ban on new virtuals on the grounds that they weren't real caches as they didn't involve hidden containers. Posting a photo of yourself eating an ice cream in a tourist spot qualifies as a find, though.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Groundspeak forcibly archived locationless caches and placed a ban on new virtuals on the grounds that they weren't real caches as they didn't involve hidden containers. Posting a photo of yourself eating an ice cream in a tourist spot qualifies as a find, though.
    And with Photoshop you wouldn't even have to go there

Hah! Just tried to vote in one of the critical but polite and well worded suggestions only to find that by the time I had clicked on the "Vote" button it had been removed.

How can anyone defend a company that asks for comments but then deletes any it doesn't like? What an unmitigated cock-up

I've cancelled my automatic Premium Membership renewal, and disabled all my caches. If Groundspeak continue to attempt to surpress the wave of revulsion that these idiotic Challenges have produced then I'm archiving all caches and shifting them to Opencaching.org.uk

If enough people do that, Jeremy will stop treating us like morons.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    I've cancelled my automatic Premium Membership renewal, and disabled all my caches. If Groundspeak continue to attempt to surpress the wave of revulsion that these idiotic Challenges have produced then I'm archiving all caches and shifting them to Opencaching.org.uk
    Good man come on over and support the Official OC UK site, (not that unofficial garmin one)
    We'd be glad to have you (that offer also extends to anyone else who wants to take up on it)

I might just end up reviewing all your hides myself

Thanks
    Dominic (Team OC UK Member)
    Last edited by geocaching womble; 21st August 2011 at 11:15 AM.

10. Default

I'm new and a little confused ...

While it's disappointing that Groundspeak are being rather high handed and don't seem to want to enter into dialogue on the subject surely if Challenge caches are ignored by the majority of members they'll go away ? Storming off in a huff means that there'll be nobody left to object if Groundspeak come up with something REALLY stupid !

On the other hand if challenges do start to proliferate the poor quality ones will tend to be ignored which may well result in the better quality ones getting the upper hand. Conversely there may be a rash of idiotic challenges which make it totally impossible to identify the good ones

Life is too important to take seriously !

Quote Originally Posted by geocaching womble View Post
    Good man come on over and support the Official OC UK site, (not that unofficial garmin one)
    We'd be glad to have you (that offer also extends to anyone else who wants to take up on it)

I might just end up reviewing all your hides myself

Thanks
    Dominic (Team OC UK Member)
    Yes, I had a few on OC since the early days, but haven't done much about it recently as there is little activity in Scotland. But I've now archived all my own caches on Groundspeak and made them OC only.

Oddly enough, all the new ones did require reviewing, despite my having set 3 already? Maybe it's 3 trads? Not to worry, they're all up now.

Exclamation Official Statment off Groundspeak in regards to Deleted Topics

We're not censoring, honest. What is happening is that when a duplicate thread is posted and merged into the existing thread, links to the old topic are misleadingly indicating that the thread was removed. We were not aware of this since, as admins, when we merge, we see a link to the parent thread, not this "removed" message. We are sorry for the confusion this has caused and truly do want to hear feedback; we are simply tidying up the threads so that votes and commentary are consolidated rather than spread out among multiple identical threads.
    Moun10Bike
    The Feedback Site is a External Site, the facilities it has to create Customer Feedback, being purchased by Groundspeak. As such they do not control how the software runs. And as such this has caused confusion.

Groundspeak's own forums, when a Topic is merged or moved, a Link to it is created in the original area it was posted to. That software is fully under the control of Groundspeak, The Feedback Site they are just a Corporate User.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

I have just had an email from the feedback site.
    We are working on splitting out cache finds and challenge completion counts. Both will be displayed on the logs unless you have not found a Challenge. In that case the statistics for Challenges won't be shown. This should be done by the end of the week (August 26) (30517)
    Jeremy Admin, Geocaching

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    Yes, I had a few on OC since the early days, but haven't done much about it recently as there is little activity in Scotland. But I've now archived all my own caches on Groundspeak and made them OC only.

Oddly enough, all the new ones did require reviewing, despite my having set 3 already? Maybe it's 3 trads? Not to worry, they're all up now.
    I Have no idea mate, you'll have to ask Lord Darcy about that

Thanks
    Dominic

Live in Scotland, Work in Somerset, Cache in Wilshire. Honest look at my stats. Strange but true.

There here to stay. However, ironically you all just got Groundspeak to ban their own challenges. That has put the idea development in a bit a publicity nightmare. Silly for them to try to push the worldwide location less stuff out before fixing the search and review functions. I don't think people will get over the misconceptions at launch now.