Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: If you don't like it - Ignore it.

Default If you don't like it - Ignore it.

During the ongoing discussion/debate/argument/rant (delete as appropriate) about Challenges one thing has stood out to me. Many supporters of the concept have used the argument "if you don't like them ignore them". On the face of it that has merit but it surely cannot be applied to the Geocaching website.

Over the years Groundspeak themselves have failed to adhere to that principle. They killed virtual caches because in their view they were going beyond the original idea. They killed Webcams because they said they had nothing to do with the original idea of finding a physical object. They killed any slight mention of Charities because they feared that caches would become vehicles for promoting agendas. They killed any unapproved mention of anything vaguely commercial because of a fear that caches could be used for unpaid advertising.

In ALL those cases not once did they use the argument that if we didn't like such caches we should simply ignore them. We were not given the choice, the offending listings were removed or banned. So it seems to me that now for people to start using the argument in support of something they like is slightly hypocritical.

In this post I am not defending nor criticising Challenges, that is for another thread. All I am asking is that in the debate people present their views logically and do not resort to the specious "ignore it" argument.

logically - I'm going to ignore that stance

Live in Scotland, Work in Somerset, Cache in Wilshire. Honest look at my stats. Strange but true.

Kind of getting your point. Although the logic appears difficult to follow.

It all gets lots more complicated in the States. You never mention the religion bans, or political bans, or the ban on militant groups and activists. Reviewers have some amazing stories to tell over there.

These all come under the heading of "Setting the tone of geocaching".

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    do not resort to the specious "ignore it" argument.
    So you asking us to ignore the ignore it?
    Last edited by Lonewolf; 24th August 2011 at 02:40 PM.

I don't think ""if you don't like them ignore them" is part of the argument/debate: I would suggest it simply as a "coping strategy" for those who dislike the whole concept of Challenges.

Regarding the comments about all the stuff that Groundspeak have/haven't done in the past - that's up to them and their business. They make the choices of how they want to handle it then put it out there for us lot to accept, ignore, enjoy, hate, participate in, as we wish. Or throw our hands up in frustration or disgust.

It's their prerogative to make whatever business decisions seem appropriate at the time, to change their minds, to back-pedal, to "tweak", go off at tangents, in whatever ways make sense for their business plans. If they get it wrong in the long-term the business goes downhill.

Their customers can offer comments/feedback but finally they have to choose to either go along with Groundspeak's vision or backoff to play another variation of the game elsewhere.

It's easy really.

Live in Scotland, Work in Somerset, Cache in Wilshire. Honest look at my stats. Strange but true.

Very well said Mrs Blorenge. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    It's their prerogative to make whatever business decisions seem appropriate at the time, to change their minds, to back-pedal, to "tweak", go off at tangents, in whatever ways make sense for their business plans.
    Well it is a business most of the time but that was not the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy (Admin, Geocaching)
    I am actually not a businessman at heart, and I didn’t build the web site to turn it into a business. I’m someone whose goal is to inspire outdoor play. Part of this entails creating something new and different so we can take geocaching where it can’t be today due to the physical location of the cache.
    If this really was all about business then the groundspeak.net would get sold off to Google for the advertising revenue or Garmin would not have to push out a lame opencaching.com copy.

The funnest story I have heard is the $50 cash sent in the mail as a bribe from one company. He was really offended. Jeremy get a bribe in the mail story
    Last edited by Lonewolf; 24th August 2011 at 09:15 PM.