During the ongoing discussion/debate/argument/rant (delete as appropriate) about Challenges one thing has stood out to me. Many supporters of the concept have used the argument "if you don't like them ignore them". On the face of it that has merit but it surely cannot be applied to the Geocaching website.

Over the years Groundspeak themselves have failed to adhere to that principle. They killed virtual caches because in their view they were going beyond the original idea. They killed Webcams because they said they had nothing to do with the original idea of finding a physical object. They killed any slight mention of Charities because they feared that caches would become vehicles for promoting agendas. They killed any unapproved mention of anything vaguely commercial because of a fear that caches could be used for unpaid advertising.

In ALL those cases not once did they use the argument that if we didn't like such caches we should simply ignore them. We were not given the choice, the offending listings were removed or banned. So it seems to me that now for people to start using the argument in support of something they like is slightly hypocritical.

In this post I am not defending nor criticising Challenges, that is for another thread. All I am asking is that in the debate people present their views logically and do not resort to the specious "ignore it" argument.