Thanks Thanks:  3

Thread: Pointy implements and 'reserved locations'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pointy implements and 'reserved locations'

As some may know, I'm on the management committee of my local park to represent the interests of geocachers. The park currently has four caches (two of mine and two of another cacher's) and one of each of ours is under threat within the next 12 months due to planned regeneration works.

However, there is a silver lining to this cloud as we have the opportunity to create fixed, bespoke caching hidey-holes, possibly with combination locks. However, as these hidey-holes would be created during the regeneration work, it's almost certain that some form of 'pointy implement' (from a JCB down) will have been used during the construction - although the CO would not have been the one to wield said implement. So, what are the panel's views on whether such caches would be permitted?

It would be nice if the COs of the threatened caches could be given first refusal on the above-mentioned hidey-holes. However, it may be several months from the old caches going and the new ones being placed. As I've seen at least one reviewer being quick to archive in a similar circumstance ('Fount' by Benson the Dog, which was in Devonport Park, Plymouth), I wonder whether reviewers would be OK with either the old caches being disabled for the required extended period or else the new caches being unpublished for that period and other caches not being permitted within 0.1 miles of each location?

Geoff

In these circumstances I can't see a problem.

As for avoiding archiving, get in early and talk to the local reviewer. Put a note on the page as well to remind them.

When the Development starts, Disable the caches with a note stating that the Park is being Redeveloped. And that the caches will have custom made hides as part of the Development.

Every 6-8 weeks post a note to update the status of the Development. That shows that the caches have not been forgotten or abandoned.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Sounds like some quite exciting developments. Would really great to find a cache that was implimented by a CO that works with a park and built especially for purpose to be a fixed location.

You could really have some fun with this one, please let us know what ideas come out of this for potential cache designs/locations.

My thanks to Mongoose39uk and especially to Mancunian for their advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeypilot View Post
    Sounds like some quite exciting developments. Would really great to find a cache that was implimented by a CO that works with a park and built especially for purpose to be a fixed location.

You could really have some fun with this one, please let us know what ideas come out of this for potential cache designs/locations.
    The first bit of redevelopment affects the other CO's cache, so when we've got the funding in place I'll contact him and invite him to participate in the regeneration process. That way, he'll have a say in the design. As that area is planned to be generally tidied up and a new, wheelchair-accessible path built, there's no buildings involved and so we won't be able to go too far. However, it'll be good to see what ideas the current CO has. That said, I wonder whether we can get away with a large, concrete ammo box!

OTOH, the redevelopment that affects one of my caches will probably be to turn an old quarry into an amphitheatre, and so it could be possible to create a built-in 'locker' in which to place some Tupperware. Personally, I'd like that to be a puzzle cache with a combination obtained by answering questions about the history of the park.

We're meeting with one of the potential funders tomorrow...