Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Grumpy Old man

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Grumpy Old man

I presume it's just me but I'm getting more and more hacked off with having to look up "Text speak" or whatever each time I try and read something. Maybe its because I wouldn't know how to send a text if I tried (tried once and my fingers are too clumsy for the little buttons on the phone and it kept trying to type words I didn't want) I managed to find out what "LOL" was although I'm not sure why I would want to laugh out loud but it's getting worse OMG, and today I found AFK (I think it means Away from the keyboard - although not sure)That's it - I give in
    Si vis pacem para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Palujia View Post
    I presume it's just me but I'm getting more and more hacked off with having to look up "Text speak" or whatever each time I try and read something. Maybe its because I wouldn't know how to send a text if I tried (tried once and my fingers are too clumsy for the little buttons on the phone and it kept trying to type words I didn't want) I managed to find out what "LOL" was although I'm not sure why I would want to laugh out loud but it's getting worse OMG, and today I found AFK (I think it means Away from the keyboard - although not sure)That's it - I give in
    ROFL

IIRC Much of it, including LOL & AFK ( AFAIK you're right), predate texting by quite some time, and goes back to the early days of computer networking, so you've had 20/30/40 years to get used to this stuff - you should have learned it by now!

TTFN
    BRB

(edit to add a few more just to wind you up LMFAO )
    Last edited by martybartfast; 23rd September 2011 at 03:48 PM.

Nope, it's not just you. TBH though, I have no problem with most of the acronyms (AFK is indeed away from keyboard).

What really pigs me off is when people use "ur" for "your" and single letters such as "R U" in forums, blogs and text messages. There's no need for it anywhere these days and it is (to me) just showing the laziness of the current yoof and their overhwelming desire to do everything using the path of least resistance.

I actually delete text messages that do not use proper English without replying. Either that or simply reply with "English please". That annoys some people but I don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornell Finch View Post
    What really pigs me off is when people use "ur" for "your" and single letters such as "R U" in forums, blogs and text messages. There's no need for it anywhere these days and it is (to me) just showing the laziness of the current yoof and their overhwelming desire to do everything using the path of least resistance.
    Gr8 post!

I can accept bad spelling in a text, but using 8 and 2 REALLY bugs me.
    eg Off 2 pub l8r, cu there 4 a pint? Cheers m8

Arrrggghhhh!!!!

:cheers:
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I used to be quite bad with text speak many, many years ago back in the day. However as I've grown a little older I find my texts only really include "ur" and "2" which is a waste anyway as I insist on putting apostrophies and other punctuation in my texts as it's just a crime to leave it out!

Just as I was getting better, I came back from my holiday last week only to find that BOTH of my parents (mid-50's) had bought iPads (While the cat's away!) Despite the fact that they now no longer talk to each other and just sit on the sofa playing games, I now get regular emails full of text speak that even I find difficult to understand!!! I think the oldies are the biggest culprits of text speak!!! Me and my brother have now taken to taking the micky and sending emails and texts to each other "in the style of dad" :lol:

Cass
    My Geocaching Blog: http://geocass.wordpress.com

m8, y r u grmpy.