Thanks Thanks:  5

Thread: cheapest "step up"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default cheapest "step up"

I think having my phone in a case with a magnetic closure might have stuffed the magnetometer, it needs recalibrating way too often.
    So, I might find a solution to that (changing the phone software) but, in case I don't manage, what's the cheapest, easy handheld gps that i can use in conjunction with it? phone can provide "paperless" options, the handheld can do the pointy bit (and probably work when there's still a leaf on an overhead branch). Ideally something I can just download loads of caches to and which is idiot proof (and i am an idiot )...and really, really cheap

edit - typically as soon as I post I see the info i'm looking for, garmin etrex h or etrex legend (can't see a H on ebay listed ones), anything cheaper?
    ..or anyone got one sat in a drawer doing nothing that they'd perhaps turn into a bit of cash? probably not the etrex h as it doesn't have usb for getting data to it from a pc

Never one to stop reading, just noticed this on follow the arrow "All GPS units have a compass. The basic models have a GPS compass that uses the satellite signal to indicate your direction. You have to be moving for the compass needle to point correctly." , i wonder if I'm not giving the phone a change, i tend to stop, unlock the phone and curse the "faulty" compass as I look for a direction....but maybe the compass isn't really a compass, and i need to walk to get it working correctly? I guess i'll try tomorrow. Tried for one toady, got within a few yards of it and couldn't narrow it down (though apparently it is very well hidden in the town centre), maybe if I'd walked 50ft away from it, and then purposefully towards it I'd have had more luck? no idea how I've managed 41 so far
    Last edited by frosty68; 1st November 2011 at 06:50 PM.