Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: When is a cache not a cache?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default When is a cache not a cache?

I have been thinking about placing a multi cache and would like to ask a question about the stages. Can the stage clue to the next stage or final cache be written on something which you have left at the stage? Could you, for example, write the coords of the next stage on a wall? I don't want to give away too much in case some of my potential searchers are reading this message and it would not be a crude as that but the principle would be the same. Can anyone give any exmples of this?

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    I have been thinking about placing a multi cache and would like to ask a question about the stages. Can the stage clue to the next stage or final cache be written on something which you have left at the stage? Could you, for example, write the coords of the next stage on a wall? I don't want to give away too much in case some of my potential searchers are reading this message and it would not be a crude as that but the principle would be the same. Can anyone give any exmples of this?
    Please... No... Don't go defacing any walls in any way to provide co-ordinates.
    You can use any sort of notice that's already on the wall, or nearby... or could the number of bricks in it, or the number of lamp posts next to it... or whatever.
    I've read of co-ords written onto a plastic name tag (like the ones they use in hospitals) attached loosely to a small branch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Please... No... Don't go defacing any walls in any way to provide co-ordinates.
    You can use any sort of notice that's already on the wall, or nearby... or could the number of bricks in it, or the number of lamp posts next to it... or whatever.
    I've read of co-ords written onto a plastic name tag (like the ones they use in hospitals) attached loosely to a small branch.
    Yes, the writing on the wall was perhaps not a very good example but do I understand that you think leaving a name tag (or similar item) is OK? Perhaps a better example would be the coords written on an extra shell on a beach or the number of sand grains in a hole? The plastic name tag would be a bit foreign in a natural environment. Would you have to ask permission to place an extra shell on a beach? Do you have to ask permission to count the number of bricks in a wall? Rember that this is not the cache but a waypoint.

You asked for advice and that is what has been given, why be sarcastic.
    Mrs B was simply giving advice.
    There are tags being left all around these days, they are called Munzees.

Ve8 Guest

Assuming that you own the wall or have explicit permission to do so I can't see it being an issue although I note this is just theoretical.

I have seen multi cache stage co ords written on bricks, old tiles, knotted into string, on a carved plaque in plain sight on a noticeboard , in a 35mm film can, in a bison tube, on a log, engraved on a bolt you needed a magnifying glass to see and many many other objects.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick&Vick View Post
    You asked for advice and that is what has been given, why be sarcastic.
    Mrs B was simply giving advice.
    There are tags being left all around these days, they are called Munzees.
    Sorry I did not mean to be sarcastic and apologize to Mrs B however her answer just seemed to raise further questions.
    I have not really looked into Munzees but would have thought that they were more of a cache than a waypoint. To me, a piece of plastic on a tree is litter, but for some reason a brass plaque nailed to a tree does not convey the same feeling. I have noticed that small name plates and numbers on trees are not uncommon. I would however expect to ask permission to nail something to a tree but I would not expect to ask permission to write on a shell on a beach. (I wonder if the Queen would answer such a request!)
    With regard to the wall senario and as Ve8 has suggested I would have thought that, again, if permission was obtained, this would be OK. I could see, for example, the clue being hidden in the signature of a wall mural.
    I must say that none of these things are what I would like to do but raises interesting possibilities.